cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOLVED! Oculus software restart required wont go away, black screen in headset - Rift S

GammaTheBanana
Explorer
Solution: Sending my headset to oculus worked for me, other solutions in comments

Whenever I connect my headset the software keeps saying that I need to restart my Oculus Software, done so multiple times, still wont go away. If I try to ignore the message then all I will see in my headset is a black screen. The headset is connected and active and the light on the headset is either white or orange. I've tried updating all my drivers (nvidia, usb, device manager, windows, oculus), tried the PTC, went out of the PTC, turned camera settings on and off in windows too. I've sent a message to Oculus Support about a week ago and still have not even recieved an answer... I haven't been able to use my Rift S for more than a month and it only really feels like a waste of money now that I can't even return it since I bought it in June... worked fine then but ever since I tried my rift S after 1.39 I've had this issue.
27 REPLIES 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well the light in the headset should be white, if orange that reflect a problem like maybe needing a firmware update or it is not being recognized.

Try a manual uninstall of Oculus:

1. Disconnect your computer from the internet.
  2. Back up any Oculus content if you want to.  Click here for instructions. (This step is completely optional.)
  3.  Reboot your computer into Safe Mode. For instructions, click here.
  4. Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel.
  5. Delete all Oculus folders from here:
    • C:\Program Files
  6. Remove any Oculus folders from here:
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
  7. Reboot your computer into normal mode.
  8. Reconnect the computer to the internet.
  9. Reinstall Oculus Home with a new installer by clicking here.

blanes
Rising Star
Great advice,  have bookmarked this in case I ever need to do the same, cheers mate :smile:

GammaTheBanana
Explorer

dburne said:

Well the light in the headset should be white, if orange that reflect a problem like maybe needing a firmware update or it is not being recognized.

Try a manual uninstall of Oculus:

1. Disconnect your computer from the internet.
  2. Back up any Oculus content if you want to.  Click here for instructions. (This step is completely optional.)
  3.  Reboot your computer into Safe Mode. For instructions, click here.
  4. Uninstall Oculus Home using the Control Panel.
  5. Delete all Oculus folders from here:
    • C:\Program Files
  6. Remove any Oculus folders from here:
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Local
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\LocalLow
    • C:\Users\YourUserProfile\AppData\Roaming
  7. Reboot your computer into normal mode.
  8. Reconnect the computer to the internet.
  9. Reinstall Oculus Home with a new installer by clicking here.

Okay, I'll try this tomorrow, I'll let you know if it works then! Thanks in advance!

gcbraun
Honored Guest
This issue has been bothering me for weeks. I already re-installed everything like described above and made sure that I am using USB 3.0 and not USB 3.1 port.

I have tried both the regular and the test-channel software, with no luck.

Anything else I can do?

OculusPatrickJa
Explorer
Same problem. Since I bought it. I have to get lucky by restarting the damn software up to 10 times until something happens and I don't see the blue light next to hardware anymore. Devices. Normally happens when my computer is restarted. Every. Single. Time! Now when it happens, each time takes more restarts to get this thing going. I now am at the point where I want to send it back.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same problem here.  I haven't used my headset for over a week.  I go to use it today and it tells me I have a firmware update.  Not wanting to bother, I pickup the headset and I get a black screen.  I can tell the Oculus software isn't even trying to initialize the headset.

I allow the firmware update.  It appears to apply the update from 2.0 to 2.2 and the software closes and restarts.  Surprise, the firmware update is still outstanding and my headset doesn't work. 

I fully removed the Oculus software (properly) and attempted to reinstall.  Now the Oculus software refuses to complete the install and tells me to contact support.  Support is puzzled.  I'm now with a non-functional headset waiting on an email from support. 

Smells like one of the firmware updates bricked my headset.  Either that or something horribly wrong is happening on the Oculus side.

scottharmes6
Protege
Don't know what's going on here, but there is obviously an issue.  I am on my third Rift S now.  First one had a scratch so sent it back, now number two and three have had this issue.  It started almost immediately with the second Rift S, and then I went back and forth with support for weeks.  I even did a fresh Windows 10 install on a second PC and then freshly installed Oculus app and tested, resulting in the same issue.  Support were great, and I just got my new Rift S a few weeks ago.  It was working fine, and I reported to support it was working fine, but now, after a firmware update the other night, the same issue is back again.

The fix for me is pretty simple.  I just need to unplug the USB cable, wait a second or two and plug it back in.  The Rift S willthen be fine until I restart my PC again.  Alternatively you can plug the USB cable in after booting your PC.  Pretty simple fixes, but also annoying and unnecessary.  Support do not seem to have any ideas about what is going on.

The worst part is, this new Rift S was working perfectly until a firmware update just a few nights ago.  That seems to have set this issue back in motion.  Very frustrating!

OculusSeventy
Honored Guest
Any other solution to try to fix this garbage?

ajf311
Explorer
Same issue here. Was working fine. Turned on the pc the next day and stuck in this broken loop. Tried all the trouble shooting tips in the top post if you google the issue, seems to have been around for 6 or so months.  At one point doing a complete uninstall in safe mode and reinstall fixed it, for a couple days..