cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOLVED! Oculus software restart required wont go away, black screen in headset - Rift S

GammaTheBanana
Explorer
Solution: Sending my headset to oculus worked for me, other solutions in comments

Whenever I connect my headset the software keeps saying that I need to restart my Oculus Software, done so multiple times, still wont go away. If I try to ignore the message then all I will see in my headset is a black screen. The headset is connected and active and the light on the headset is either white or orange. I've tried updating all my drivers (nvidia, usb, device manager, windows, oculus), tried the PTC, went out of the PTC, turned camera settings on and off in windows too. I've sent a message to Oculus Support about a week ago and still have not even recieved an answer... I haven't been able to use my Rift S for more than a month and it only really feels like a waste of money now that I can't even return it since I bought it in June... worked fine then but ever since I tried my rift S after 1.39 I've had this issue.
27 REPLIES 27

LegendBacon
Explorer
Hi everyone,

As people have mentioned here, this is a USB issue.
I have around 70 Oculus Rift S out there, on the same Windows update (1909), same laptop models, same Oculus App version, same Nvidia drivers, connected to the same networks, etc...

And yet for some reason only a third of them have this issue.

I haven't found the cause yet, but I've found a fix.

If your computer has a USB-C port, get a USB->USB-C adapter and use that with the Rift S. Reboot your computer, and now everything's green. No reinstall needed.

I've shipped the same adapter to ~20 clients, and it fixed the issue immediately for all of them.

I still don't understand why it only happens on some of our machines though.

I hope that helps!
Cheers,
~LegendBacon

GammaTheBanana
Explorer

Hi everyone,

As people have mentioned here, this is a USB issue.
I have around 70 Oculus Rift S out there, on the same Windows update (1909), same laptop models, same Oculus App version, same Nvidia drivers, connected to the same networks, etc...

And yet for some reason only a third of them have this issue.

I haven't found the cause yet, but I've found a fix.

If your computer has a USB-C port, get a USB->USB-C adapter and use that with the Rift S. Reboot your computer, and now everything's green. No reinstall needed.

I've shipped the same adapter to ~20 clients, and it fixed the issue immediately for all of them.

I still don't understand why it only happens on some of our machines though.

I hope that helps!
Cheers,
~LegendBacon

Can you reccomend one?

LegendBacon
Explorer
@GammaTheBanana

I can't post links unfortunately, but the adapter I use is from Vivanco and has these specs:
- Female USB 3.1 Gen.1 A
- Male USB-C
- 5Gb/s (very important)
- 0.1 meters

You should be able to find it. 
I believe Amazon sells the same kind of adapter with those exact specs, so it should work too.

guicore
Explorer
Here at the office same issues. I have checked 4x brand new rift s on a gaming laptop (gtx1060).
Plugged them in.
Updated firmware to 2.2.0
Same gaming laptop used
Same mini displayport (adapter) used
Same USB3 port used
Result: 2x work fine and 2x are stuck in the "oculus software restart required" endless loop after pc restart.

After some testing with different adapters i used an USB3 Hub for the USB3 and it seems to work. So it may be an USB issue.
But why does some work and some not?

We will return the broken devices.

TheAccuser
Honored Guest
Same issues and can't get my Rift S to connect.

LockeyNoS7even
Honored Guest
I had this issue and I "solved" it by trying each and every USB port on my PC until I found one which didn't cause this issue on boot.

garrus77
Explorer
I have the same issue since a few months now and I can't make it work, I need help please, thanks.

TragicDelight
Protege
it's happening to me now. only thing I did was install newest Nvidia drivers for my 2080ti which also came with a USBC driver...guessing that is the problem a conflict with the drivers. about to DDU current drivers and reinstall old and report back.

TragicDelight
Protege
I fixed it.
First download previous driver version from nvidia website.
DDU current nvidia drivers.
Then restart. (Disconnect internet so windows on restart won't try to install it's own drivers)
Then install the previous drivers.
Then full hard PC reset.
Fixed.

FlyingSquirrelF
Honored Guest
Here's what seemed to work for me:  always have the headset usb and displayport cables un-plugged from the PC before booting or restarting.  Launch the software, then plug in.