cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3.0 "Connection Required"

TopShelfSnip3r
Honored Guest
So yesterday I was playing fine with the VR the next day I come up with this problem. "USB 3 Connection Required" It's like the oculus app doesn't even recognize my usb 3.0 being plugged in my desktop and I made sure it's in a 3.0 port. I've plugged in every 3.0 port possible and it still says USB 3 Connection Required. I went into the device manager tried to update my usb 3.0 but it says it's at the latest version, i've tried to uninstall the usb and plug it back in multiple times. My display port works fine and my Rift S says Connected and active when I put on the headset it has 3 dots with the oculus symbol and a black screen with my controllers sitting 1 meter below me. In the device manager it shows that the USB 3.0 from the VR cable works fine. I did everything I can and don't know what to do I need help :disappointed:
It's been a month since I started playing VR.

5aqr8h8lf46g.png6grw3ur4jdwe.png
104 REPLIES 104

Mazda_Ron
Expert Protege
I've just discovered my CV1 headset is showing as USB 2, when it is infact plugged into the USB 3 pci card oculus recommend https://www.inateck.com/inateck-ktu3fr-4p-usb-3-0-pci-express-karte-mit-4-usb-3-0-ports.html ( and I've had for years )

the only solution for me is to unplug all devices on the pci card and plug oculus in first after the computer has booted and oculus opened, this needs to be done every computer boot.

I can either disable and re enable the pci card in device manager or manually do the unplug and replug for it to show as usb 3, incredibly annoying and must have only happened recently, I've gone years without having to unplug the rift.

for what its worth, sensors are still detecting correctly and have no issues, they are on mobo ports.

The cv1 headset is not detecting USB 3.0 even using the exact same ports on mobo, so this is an oculus issue.

Mazda_Ron
Expert Protege
Well, done some digging, for people still having this issue, go into your bios and into USB, if XCHI handoff is disabled, enable it.

let me know if it fixes it for you, why the oculus suddenly decided not to let the bios figure out whats plugged in I don't know, working for me now though and headset is showing as 3.0 every computer boot, I haven't tested long enough to see if anything else on my system has been affected but from what I understand, all enabled does is give the OS control of detecting if its usb 2 or 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would almost bet your cable is fine if it was just working and you didn't do anything crazy and hurt it or leave it in a tangled mess.

I have this USB problem continuously with my Alienware Aurora R8 Z730 Chipset I have an RTX 2070 Super in it. Sometimes my USB ports won't be recognized at all. It usually happens if I am in the middle of a game and pause it. Then I lose all my USB ports sometimes I only lose the 3.0. 

Sadly the only half fix I have found which does always eventually work every time is a combination of:

1. Turning off the PC
2.  Unplugging it for say 10 minutes and then it works.
3. Sometimes I need to restart it 20 times.
4. I know when I upgraded my chipset drivers directly from Intel I lost everything. 
5.  I went back to the Dell .inf and we it is working again.

Their is a bug somewhere. I don't know if it is the chipset, the usb inf, a conflict, Oculus firmware or what but it definitely exists as we all know. This happens to me frequently. Sometimes I will play for a week with no issue then lose everything again. I have No idea what the direct cause is but certain things will fix it temporarily for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I will Update my response. These temporary fixes have now completely failed. I have contacted Oculus and after we retried a few obvious fixes which did not work they are in the process of reviewing my case as now it looks like I need a new unit.

This all started with a firmware update months ago.  The problem persisted and progressed until it quit working completely.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here is another Update:

It is very difficult to pin point the source of this issue (mine seemed to be directly related to firmware), however I had a friend bring over his Oculus Rift S headset today and everything worked 100 percent. My Problem is Obviously an Oculus Rift S Headset or Headset cable issue.

That being said I think their is some validity to the USB power thing even though I have an 850 watt power supply it is the ports getting the power that could be a problem. If your out of options.

Try a Powered USB 3.0 HUB. Make sure it has a power cord to the HUB (There are many options on amazon). I can't believe I forgot about the commands below.

Here is a suggestion to try as well:

Try the following:

1. Open an elevated CMD terminal window. Run sfc /scannow
  2. If corruption is found but can't be fixed using SFC, then run the following:
    1. DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth && DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
  3. DISM should be able to correct system distribution corruption.  After the above completes, run sfc /scannow again to verify.

ZoscheHH
Honored Guest
Guys, it´s as simple as this: Oculus screwed up the USB detection function with the last firmware update about a week ago. Up till then, all of my Oculus devices had been detected as running on USB 3 showing no problems.
Right after the update, the proper detection has been failing. All of my oculus plugs are connected to USB3 ports and always have been. Actually, only the sensors show green light (USB 3), the Rift itself shows orange (USB 2). I plugged the Rift into the sensor ports and again, it only shows USB2. For me, that´s clear sign, that something has been messed up with the USB3 detection of the Rift. We just have to wait till Oculus releases a fixed firmware.

Anonymous
Not applicable

ZoscheHH said:

Guys, it´s as simple as this: Oculus screwed up the USB detection function with the last firmware update about a week ago.

I wish it were as simple as that. If you review this forum this has been a major issue for at least the last two driver releases, and there are even MANY reports of this problem going back since July/Aug of last year. This is a recurring problem and they cannot fix it. When they fix it for one group of people, it breaks it for others. Next driver release its Russian roulette whether yours will get fixed or broken or left alone.

The scary part of this is that the last driver release that is breaking USB for you and others didn't even have any updates for the CV1 or Rift S. All updates were for the Quest yet it still changes/breaks functionality for Rift users. Oculus fundamentally broke their drivers when they consolidated everything into a single driver. Now they can't add a stupid unwanted social feature to the Quest without doing something new and terrible to the Rift S. The entire product line is one big time bomb because they are too lazy to just develop each product separately with its own drivers. The vast majority of us have fond memories of the last driver version that worked well for us, and all we want is for Oculus to make our headset work like that again and then leave it alone.

Dozer_K_A_O_
Honored Guest
Ok.. have been going through this same problem with my CV1 for some days and now i discover i'm not the only one.
Really dissapointed with Oculus and their management.. not only for this but also for other system problems i have been suffer through time and  two computers.
Once upon a time they wanted to be the pioneers in the VR world.. my first and last Oculus.

WTB does anybody knows if this actually hits performance... ??

YoLolo69
Trustee
Same here, same USB 3 port used for more than 4 years with the Rift, all of sudden with the V17 update (Rift CV1 here) my headset said I'm plugged in an USB 2 port. They screwed something for sure. I have to reboot, plug, unplug, etc. until it work, could take 45min before I'm able to use my Rift.

I sent a report from the desktop help center, don't hesitate to do the same as they will do noting if they have only few reports...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

spyro
Expert Protege
Same here. Had USB 3.0 connection for my Quest (in fact, it's an USB 3.2 Port) and a 100% working cable. Now it's suddenly only recognized as USB 2.0, didn't change anything other than install Firmware-/Software-Update.
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?