cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3.0 "Connection Required"

TopShelfSnip3r
Level 2
So yesterday I was playing fine with the VR the next day I come up with this problem. "USB 3 Connection Required" It's like the oculus app doesn't even recognize my usb 3.0 being plugged in my desktop and I made sure it's in a 3.0 port. I've plugged in every 3.0 port possible and it still says USB 3 Connection Required. I went into the device manager tried to update my usb 3.0 but it says it's at the latest version, i've tried to uninstall the usb and plug it back in multiple times. My display port works fine and my Rift S says Connected and active when I put on the headset it has 3 dots with the oculus symbol and a black screen with my controllers sitting 1 meter below me. In the device manager it shows that the USB 3.0 from the VR cable works fine. I did everything I can and don't know what to do I need help :disappointed:
It's been a month since I started playing VR.

5aqr8h8lf46g.png6grw3ur4jdwe.png
103 REPLIES 103

crossmr
Level 4
For anyone having this issue, post a screen shot of your device manager in "devices by connection" mode to verify your Rift is connected via the USB 3.0 hub. 0ut60ezooqcu.png
It'll look something like this, you can just screenshot from where it says USB Root Hub (USB 3.0) I just posted a full screen to show you how to find it (it might be slightly different on your machine)

Shooter80
Level 3
There are a lot of things that could be the difference between something being connected as USB 3.0 or 2.0 other than what type of port its plugged into.

A USB 3.0 connection isn't a given just because the wires are connected, USB 3.0 does 'Link Training' (LTSSM*) to test the quality of the connection between both devices, anything between the chip and the Rift could cause it to decide to drop back to 2.0, an extension cable, a hub, or even an old tired and worn, irreplaceable, headset cable.

A while back (before they added the warning and you had to check yourself) mine started showing as 2.0 for a few months, after a while the cable died altogether and I got a new one as they were still available, as soon as I fitted the replacement cable it was back showing as 3.0.

The USB connection in the cable isn't just a normal run of cable either, it has Spectra7 chips (VR7050) in both ends to boost the signal, there is a lot to go wrong.

It arguably doesn't really matter anyway since seemingly all the USB hardware in the Rift CV1 is all 2.0 or 1.1 anyway
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/516802#Comment_516802
Although if that is the case, then why did they add the warning in v17..

*Can't post external links: superuser.com/a/1347446

dhrto
Level 5
Nice find @Shooter80 !

If the internals work at USB 2 regardless, why then even advertise or put a warning about the connection speed indeed? And why state in the software that's recommended to plug it into an USB 3 port. Strange decision making at Oculus...?

Moonmanh3
Level 2
Same thing started happening to my CV1 last week out of nowhere. It isn't my cable. I just tried it with a replacement. No change. I have a ticket in with support. No definite direction there.

Mazda_Ron
Level 4
ok, mine is back to showing usb 2 again, I even changed ports back to my mobo and it went to usb 3 for a couple of days, now back to usb 2.

I even fully removed all traces of oculus from the pc, done the whole setup again, during setup headset is showing as usb 3, all seems fixed or so I think, only to find when its all installed again its gone back to usb 2 and no amount of port swapping is bringing it back ( it used to be unplug and replug would fix it)

oculus is to blame here, it can't possibly be the computer if its happy to detect is as usb 3 on setup then display it as usb 2 in their software, the headset and cable did not move, yet for whatever reason their software keeps seeing it as usb 2.

this people say isn't an issue, I completely disagree, half life alyx runs considerably worse if you leave it on usb 2, i know this because I used to forget to unplug replug and it would always run like butter when oculus displays it as usb 3.

chillpanda
Level 2

Mazda_Ron said:

ok, mine is back to showing usb 2 again, I even changed ports back to my mobo and it went to usb 3 for a couple of days, now back to usb 2.

I even fully removed all traces of oculus from the pc, done the whole setup again, during setup headset is showing as usb 3, all seems fixed or so I think, only to find when its all installed again its gone back to usb 2 and no amount of port swapping is bringing it back ( it used to be unplug and replug would fix it)

oculus is to blame here, it can't possibly be the computer if its happy to detect is as usb 3 on setup then display it as usb 2 in their software, the headset and cable did not move, yet for whatever reason their software keeps seeing it as usb 2.

this people say isn't an issue, I completely disagree, half life alyx runs considerably worse if you leave it on usb 2, i know this because I used to forget to unplug replug and it would always run like butter when oculus displays it as usb 3.

If this applies, try disabling Developer mode using the phone app to see if the problem persists. It seems to have caused some trouble for me recently moreso with MTP mode as of the most recent update (or the one I received 2 months ago in August 2020). And if it's not already on, then try turning it on, you never know. Might be a shot in the dark but heck, it's a shot nonetheless.

Mazda_Ron
Level 4

Mazda_Ron said:

If this applies, try disabling Developer mode using the phone app to see if the problem persists. It seems to have caused some trouble for me recently moreso with MTP mode as of the most recent update (or the one I received 2 months ago in August 2020). And if it's not already on, then try turning it on, you never know. Might be a shot in the dark but heck, it's a shot nonetheless.

that would be great if I was using link, but this has been an issue universally on PC despite your headset choice, my cv1 has the issue, peoples rift s has the issue, I've sold my quest now so can't tell you if that was also having issue.

WebMetalReese
Level 4
Just wanted to chime in with the same issue and no idea why. I been using my CV1 with a powered PciE Fresco card and a 3 sensor setup with no problems since I bought it two years ago. 

Last week I reset windows and reinstalled the Oc. software and now I'm getting a warning that one of my sensors is not plugged into a 3.0 rather a 2.0. 

Tried messing around with device manager resetting sensors, repairing the software, etc. 
Still having the issue. I thought that finally my sensors are dying, thankfully I came across this thread. 

Cosmin_M
Level 2
It works with some cables!

Just got my Quest 2 and I have the same issue with the original charging cable, it says "USB 3.0 connection required" I have tried on both USB type A with adapter, and USB type C, same problem, however I have tried with an additional USB A to USB C type cable that came with my Roli Seaboard Block keyboard and it works perfectly. I am waiting for the original link cable to arrive and try it. 
For some people here who are having this issue: what type of cable do you have?   

wojciechmichals
Level 3
Same here man im wating for suport right now
Oculus Quest 2 and oficial link cable and nothing 
They messed something up 
It was working fine with OG Quest , same cable same port