cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VR won't load. X Plane 11 - Rift S

1960Steve
Explorer
Click VR and it begins loading. Load screen reappears and then does nothing. Click DONE and the X11 crashes.

i5  32gig RAM  1080 card 
61 REPLIES 61

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Thanks for your great detective work @kojack.

I've only tried 11.50b9 with OpenGL in VR once and the performance/visual quality was terrible compared to Vulkan.  However, it did seem a lot worse than what I would have expected based on using it with 11.41.  So, maybe because of the coding issues you've discovered.

Between Vulkan and improved stock scenery xp11 is looking and working very well for me.  Hope to see better multicore utilization, hence better performance in the near future, esp. with my i9 9900k.

Except for the shutdown bug (since v13) xp11 looks and performs very well with my Rift cv1.  However, xp11 looks even better with my Vive Pro as do all my flight/racing sims (and shuts down xp11 properly as well).  So my poor old cv1 is now relegated to most Oculus store games and Steam/VivePort games that benefit from its great touch controllers (at least 50% of these right now).
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

1960Steve
Explorer
How do I tell which version of Oculus it is?

MikeKemp
Explorer

1960Steve said:

How do I tell which version of Oculus it is?

Oculus desktop app. "Settings / General Tab" at the bottom.

kojack
MVP
MVP
I'll send a bug report to Laminar once I write up some details (there's going to be some explaining to do as to what I was doing).

Yeah, that shut down bug is still there (in GL or Vulkan). There's no Oculus SDK calls going on at that point. The swap chain textures were all destroyed and the sdk shut down, so it doesn't seem like a resource issue. It's much harder to see what's up at that point.
I wonder if it's related to how X-Plane loads the Oculus runtime library hundreds of times? There are supposed to be a matching number of Frees, but I'm not intercepting that. (Libraries are reference counted, if you load a library 10 times you are supposed to free it 10 times).

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

bailaoye
Honored Guest
Have the same issue here. I can get it to work for one flight session by running OculusSetup.exe's repair tool, but the Oculus app bugs me to update right after the repair is done, even though the Rift S firmware is still 2.2.0. Once the computer restarts or wakes from sleep the Oculus seems to load up new firmware and I have to run the repair tool again to get it to work. 

kojack
MVP
MVP
It's definitely the cube texture.
I tried using the OculusRoomTiny(GL) demo that comes with the oculus sdk. Using the same numbers I get exactly the same error.
So I modified the type. I intercepted X-Plane's call and changed the type to 2D instead of Cube. Everything now ran fine!
Looking at my logs, the cube map is only used for a single frame as soon as you enable a VR headset, then never used again. But if that one use breaks, it makes every later frame fail too.

The SDK has been saying to not use ovrTexture_Cube since at least 1.35 (maybe earlier). It's possible that it's been deprecated for ages and v17 finally removed it. Since X-Plane is so out of date for oculus sdks (they used 1.23) they might not have noticed that ovrTexture_Cube hasn't been allowed for a while in openGL.

I've asked on the dev boards about it, but the odds of a response there are pretty low these days.

Hmm, maybe I'll need to add a "Fix X-Plane" mode to my Oculus Injector if I release it.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Copied from the v17 thread;

Oculus v17 rolled out to me today.  All seems to work fine.  During the installation I did not see any new driver install windows.  After it finished installing I shutdown my PC (full, not sleep or hibernate btw).  Then restarted my pc and fired up my Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

I tried a couple Oculus Store games (including Lone Echo for ~30 minutes), a couple Steam games, and a couple VivePort games.  Everything ran good as ever, no problems.  Also, all my Oculus devices properly reported usb 3.0 in the green.

Although I don't really use my Rift for xp11 anymore, just my Vive Pro, I thought I'd give it a go anyway.  I always startup xp11 with my Rift by calling up the Oculus desktop panel, then use my mouse to startup with a shortcut on my taskbar.  11.50b9 Vulkan started up no problems and I ended up in the usual startup hangar facing the menu boards.  Selected a flight and all worked perfectly.  Had a good fly around Chicago at dawn and everything was a very smooth 45-55fps.  The good old Oculus shutdown bug is still in effect and I still need to use task manager to kill it.

So, for me, v17 is working fine.  Thank goodness!

ASIDE:  In the past I have occasionally had xp11 hang either during the wait to get to the hangar and/or when I tried to start a new flight.  In all these cases this was due to using too high xp11 and/or super sampling settings.  Once I lowered these (xp11 by starting up in 2D monitor mode), SS for me with OTT, all worked fine.  For those having issues starting up xp11 in VR you might want to consider this.  Good luck mates and cheers.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Update;
Someone on the xp11 forum asked me to check out how Oculus v17 works with the last stable version xp 11.41.  Fortunately I had saved a full backup of this prior to entering the 11.50 beta program so this was pretty easy to do.  Well, I hate to say it but xp11 crashed every time I tried to go VR with my Rift cv1.  It worked ok in non-VR mode though.  So, since my backup was done prior to entering the xp11.50 beta program and this was with Oculus v16 I'd have to say it def looks like an Oculus v17 related issue.  I tried it again with the latest xp11.50b9 and it worked perfectly again (but I still needed to kill it with task manager).

Just for fun I tried 11.41 with my Vive Pro and it ran perfectly (and shutdown perfectly as well).  It was a useful exercise because it demonstrated 2 things;
1) xp 11.50b9 Vulkan is far superior to both the old OpenGL 11.41 and even 11.50b9 in OpenGL mode, and
2)xp 11.50b9 Vulkan looks and performs much better with my Vive Pro.

So, looks like I'll be continuing to use my Vive Pro with all my flight/racing sims, Google Earth VR, and Aircar.  My good old cv1 will still see lots of action with my Oculus store games and a few of my Steam and VivePort games that benefit with their touch controllers.

I feel really bad for you guys that only have Oculus PCVR headset(s) because if your PC cannot handle xp11b9 you are kinda screwed for now.  If you can run 11.50b9, preferably in Vukan mode, you should def do so imho.  Once I observed the differences I know I'll never go back to 11.41 OpenGL.  Good luck and cheers.

Edit;  Someone on the xp11 forum just informed me that while xp11.50b9 will work fine with the Rift cv1 (and I assume Rift S) in Vulkan mode, it will not work with 11.50b9 in OpenGL mode.  Probably not surprising since xp11.41 is OpenGL.  Anyway, I'll take his word on this.  I don't fancy firing up my Rift cv1 ever again to try this, lol!

kojack
MVP
MVP
It definitely seems what has happened is that X-Plane used an Oculus SDK from 2 years ago. Every SDK from maybe 1.5 years ago has said not to use cubemaps for this GL function. X-Plane never read that because they are out of date and kept doing it.

Although... the actual fail is happening inside of wglDXRegisterObjectNV, which is a Nvidia extension to OpenGL, included in their driver. It would be interesting to see if AMD also has this problem. Is Oculus calling wglDXRegisterObjectNV incorrectly, or has wglDXRegisterObjectNV stopped working?

I gave Laminar a detailed bug report. Hopefully they'll take it seriously. There's little chance my Oculus developer forum post will get a response, there's almost no oculus developer contact for smaller developers since Imperativity left. Laminar has a better chance of getting through to the Oculus dev team than I do.

ferndo
Honored Guest
VR not working at all on XPlanes 11, after Oculus software, Version 17.0 update 12 hours ago. Need advice