cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WINDOWS 7 (yes I said it!!!) CAN STILL BE USED FOR RIFT & S used buyers

KICKASSHERO
Level 4
Now of course you have the folks who have nothing useful to offer other than sarcastic remarks like, "upgrade to 10" blah blah blah.  No! You do as you are told!
Anyways the ORIGINAL system requirements for RIFT and RIFT S is  ❤️ Windows 7 SP1  ❤️ and newer. Even gaming laptops marked as VR Ready using GTX 980m also function for the purpose. But yes, Fac3Book is cold and has been literally screwing over Windows 7 , 8.1 users.
I went to use my HMD the other day to find out that there has been another update and once again broken Windows 7 (black display, can hear noise and use controllers [vibrates]). But this time OCULUS/FAC3BOOK went on to remove any mentions of WINDOWS 7 from the system requirements in the game store library for games and apps that steam shows to work with WINDOWS 7 64 bit.
This time it took a few hours to debug it all out. Also using Oculus Homeless adds tons of speed to my VR experience.
So in the mean time download and install the current/latest Oculus software because you're going to need it to sign into Oculus, set up Guardian, and your sensors!

PM for link to 90 mb backup needed and setup file IF needed

after this you will once and for all block OCULUs from downloading anything else ever again and enjoy your windows 7 system.

p.s. facebook heartbeat ticks your computer every 30 seconds, and downloads system information, so this will be blocked also. You can still use the oculus dashboard and browse store content if you wish to not block the store content. Be sure to have steam VR also. You will not be able to download anything from oculus using the app usless you unblock and download whatever and save the shortcut to your desktop.

pss DISCLAIMER : windows 7 is an unsupported OS which leaves your system open to viruses, hacks, malware, hackware, spyware and more. windows 7 has been out for a while and can be exploited so use a strong anti virus anti malware firewall and keep them updated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

KICKASSHERO
Level 4
CURRENT V 25 AND PREVIOUS   .  

FROM  THIS LINK   >>>>  
 https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/213584-oculus-v17-not-working-

and-v16-forces-update/&page=5

vvvvvvvvvvvvvv

download V 15.1
(   https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XQoAa4FUNz760ZPEKQ9jwqOYOA6iM2Jc/view?usp=sharing

)
 [credit benrb7 via google drive]

also download v17 files from here  >>>
 (    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jBrQVelQblafumP514NVUttlA2qXyILh )

download 'OCULUS TRAY TOOL' (download from web),.(this tool is to use Oculus

Homeless, and stop/start Oculus service)
https://www.guru3d.com/files-get/oculus-traytool-download,1.html

// Or you can go into windows services via : WIN key + R key ; type "services.msc"

------------------------------------------------------
 when you follow the guide, DO NOT REPLACE any folders. just rename  .old or 555555

before the file name or something, so that you have your original folders/files still

in tack if you need to revert.

---------------

start from a working oculus installation if your installation isnt working to sign

into

oculus then step 1, install the oclus....

^^ 1) Install The oculus software again from the website. Once installed; log into you

oculus account and make sure your RIFT and sensors shows as detected in Oculus

software

settings. close the OCulus software and turn off your Internet.

2) Go to your C-drive, Windows, System 32, Drivers, Ect and then open the Hosts file.
  (get used to editing the hosts file, place NOTEPAD on your WIN7 taskbar.)

3)
Make a gap and Copy and paste the following at the bottom of the text (127.0.0.1

securecdn.oculus.com) without the parenthses
127.0.0.1 graph.oculus.c                                
127.0.0.1 edge-mqtt.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 scontent.oculuscdn.c
127.0.0.1 graph.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 securecdn.oculus.com
*[note] edit my hosts allowing graph & scontent because it allows you to see home and

storecontent. But block it by finishing .com onto the address and hit 'save' and it

will

completely block all oculus communication. if app needs to communicate unblock, graph.

if

you want store content unblock scontent; by just removing '.com' and put '.c'  or '.'

4)Open Oculus and make sure there are no updates installing or downloading. If there

is

make sure you stop it. It should now say its pending or queued.

5) unzip google drive files into their own folders.

6) close Oculus software. use Oculus tray tool (ott) or services.msc to stop "Oculus

VR runtime service". Then put the service on manual if using 'services.msc' way.

7)from backup 17; open oculus-drivers and run Oculus-driver.exe as admin.

😎 open folder 'oculus-runtime' from backup17 and copy and paste  LibOVRRT64_1.dll  

into folder                    

C:\Windows|System32

9) from oculus-runtime backup17 folder; create shortcut of file 'OVRServer_x64' onto

windows 7 taskbar.

create shortcut of 'OVRServer_x64' from C:|windows\program files\oculus\support
\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe

and place onto desktop but note which is v17 and which

is v25.

10) Rename the folders in C:/Program Files/Oculus/support/   (Oculus-diagnosis) oculus-client

(drivers, runtime, librarian)        I just put 555555 in front of each of those

folders.

Copy the folders from 15.1 (diagnosis, client,drivers,runtime,librarian)into your

updated (v25) support , so that the system can use these v 15 files
jl0o5mnwhdsl.jpg
11)go back into backup17 oculus-diagnostic folder and run OculusVRValidator.exe as

admin.

12)Open Oculus tray tool and stop service (if running) by clicking on the 'blue

square' it

should be lit/highlighted and clickable. and close tray tool

13) run OVRServer_x64 from backup v17 and you should see a command
prompt window popup showing, "STABLE RELEASE 1.49"; If OVRServer v17 just makes

command

propmt open and close immediatly, that means the OVRServer v25 loaded itself back up,

so

open OTT and hit the blue square (stop button) and stop the service and immediately  

click

OVRServer.exe for v17

14) again, from backup 17; open oculus-drivers and run Oculus-driver.exe as admin

15) enjoy the full experience again !!

*NOTE, when using v17, it still runs on current home version (v21+), so to stop the

Oculus

C:\Program files\OCulus\Oculus-client\content_shell.pak    ; I renamed mine

'content_shell.pakOLD', and when I want to use v21 software I change name back to

'content_shell.pak' * ** to stop the client.exe from poping up while running 17 then

click

on the Oculus Home a few times to start your headset while its on or just 10 seconds

after

putting it on you will see it load ***

I can confirm that having host as I typed, blocking some and leaving scontent & graph

,will

allow you to view online items but will not update app.

But you cannot download games from Oculus with 'securecdn.oculus' blocked in your

hosts

files. so unblock securecdn.oculus to download from oculus database.

**So to download apps, unblock your hosts files lines securecdn & graph.oculus &

scontent.

You can use the internet safely when using ONLY V17 RUNTIME. The app will not seek to

update to v 19, v20, v21, or whatever;
 and will allow all access to download anything from OCulus store. Be sure to block

hosts

lines if you plan to open V25 software or it may update. ***

Be sure to use OVRServer for which ever version you wish you run at the moment ..

Be patient, it can take up to 1 minute before your headset boots, you may see a red

line at the very top while wearing as it loads

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

SeekNDestr0y
Level 3
I can confirm this is legit.

KICKASSHERO
Level 4
bump for anyone looking to HAVE a fully functioning WIN 7 install on maybe another SSD before the next update.

frath
Level 2
thanks to the encouragement of Kickasshero i found a solution and have Oculus in Win7pro 64bit SP1 up and running again.

Unfortunatelly his solution did not work for me but i tried something else with Oculus Data from older backups of my system (31 01 2020 where oculus was still running) and it somehow worked now 26 12 2020. I guess this has done something in the registry settings ??? I tried it with Google Earth VR yesterday and everything is fine 🙂

KICKASSHERO
Level 4
Works for v 23 also......

KICKASSHERO
Level 4
also v 25

KICKASSHERO
Level 4
CURRENT V 25 AND PREVIOUS   .  

FROM  THIS LINK   >>>>  
 https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/213584-oculus-v17-not-working-

and-v16-forces-update/&page=5

vvvvvvvvvvvvvv

download V 15.1
(   https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XQoAa4FUNz760ZPEKQ9jwqOYOA6iM2Jc/view?usp=sharing

)
 [credit benrb7 via google drive]

also download v17 files from here  >>>
 (    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jBrQVelQblafumP514NVUttlA2qXyILh )

download 'OCULUS TRAY TOOL' (download from web),.(this tool is to use Oculus

Homeless, and stop/start Oculus service)
https://www.guru3d.com/files-get/oculus-traytool-download,1.html

// Or you can go into windows services via : WIN key + R key ; type "services.msc"

------------------------------------------------------
 when you follow the guide, DO NOT REPLACE any folders. just rename  .old or 555555

before the file name or something, so that you have your original folders/files still

in tack if you need to revert.

---------------

start from a working oculus installation if your installation isnt working to sign

into

oculus then step 1, install the oclus....

^^ 1) Install The oculus software again from the website. Once installed; log into you

oculus account and make sure your RIFT and sensors shows as detected in Oculus

software

settings. close the OCulus software and turn off your Internet.

2) Go to your C-drive, Windows, System 32, Drivers, Ect and then open the Hosts file.
  (get used to editing the hosts file, place NOTEPAD on your WIN7 taskbar.)

3)
Make a gap and Copy and paste the following at the bottom of the text (127.0.0.1

securecdn.oculus.com) without the parenthses
127.0.0.1 graph.oculus.c                                
127.0.0.1 edge-mqtt.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 scontent.oculuscdn.c
127.0.0.1 graph.facebook.com
127.0.0.1 securecdn.oculus.com
*[note] edit my hosts allowing graph & scontent because it allows you to see home and

storecontent. But block it by finishing .com onto the address and hit 'save' and it

will

completely block all oculus communication. if app needs to communicate unblock, graph.

if

you want store content unblock scontent; by just removing '.com' and put '.c'  or '.'

4)Open Oculus and make sure there are no updates installing or downloading. If there

is

make sure you stop it. It should now say its pending or queued.

5) unzip google drive files into their own folders.

6) close Oculus software. use Oculus tray tool (ott) or services.msc to stop "Oculus

VR runtime service". Then put the service on manual if using 'services.msc' way.

7)from backup 17; open oculus-drivers and run Oculus-driver.exe as admin.

😎 open folder 'oculus-runtime' from backup17 and copy and paste  LibOVRRT64_1.dll  

into folder                    

C:\Windows|System32

9) from oculus-runtime backup17 folder; create shortcut of file 'OVRServer_x64' onto

windows 7 taskbar.

create shortcut of 'OVRServer_x64' from C:|windows\program files\oculus\support
\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe

and place onto desktop but note which is v17 and which

is v25.

10) Rename the folders in C:/Program Files/Oculus/support/   (Oculus-diagnosis) oculus-client

(drivers, runtime, librarian)        I just put 555555 in front of each of those

folders.

Copy the folders from 15.1 (diagnosis, client,drivers,runtime,librarian)into your

updated (v25) support , so that the system can use these v 15 files
jl0o5mnwhdsl.jpg
11)go back into backup17 oculus-diagnostic folder and run OculusVRValidator.exe as

admin.

12)Open Oculus tray tool and stop service (if running) by clicking on the 'blue

square' it

should be lit/highlighted and clickable. and close tray tool

13) run OVRServer_x64 from backup v17 and you should see a command
prompt window popup showing, "STABLE RELEASE 1.49"; If OVRServer v17 just makes

command

propmt open and close immediatly, that means the OVRServer v25 loaded itself back up,

so

open OTT and hit the blue square (stop button) and stop the service and immediately  

click

OVRServer.exe for v17

14) again, from backup 17; open oculus-drivers and run Oculus-driver.exe as admin

15) enjoy the full experience again !!

*NOTE, when using v17, it still runs on current home version (v21+), so to stop the

Oculus

C:\Program files\OCulus\Oculus-client\content_shell.pak    ; I renamed mine

'content_shell.pakOLD', and when I want to use v21 software I change name back to

'content_shell.pak' * ** to stop the client.exe from poping up while running 17 then

click

on the Oculus Home a few times to start your headset while its on or just 10 seconds

after

putting it on you will see it load ***

I can confirm that having host as I typed, blocking some and leaving scontent & graph

,will

allow you to view online items but will not update app.

But you cannot download games from Oculus with 'securecdn.oculus' blocked in your

hosts

files. so unblock securecdn.oculus to download from oculus database.

**So to download apps, unblock your hosts files lines securecdn & graph.oculus &

scontent.

You can use the internet safely when using ONLY V17 RUNTIME. The app will not seek to

update to v 19, v20, v21, or whatever;
 and will allow all access to download anything from OCulus store. Be sure to block

hosts

lines if you plan to open V25 software or it may update. ***

Be sure to use OVRServer for which ever version you wish you run at the moment ..

Be patient, it can take up to 1 minute before your headset boots, you may see a red

line at the very top while wearing as it loads

KICKASSHERO
Level 4
Edit ; most users can skip steps 7, 8 and 9 if you want to stick with v15. 

In that case, you will have to run the drivers in Oculus-drivers folder from the v15 you swapped into your programs file.  And use OVRServer in the v15 folders. 

frath
Level 2

i will try v15 with skip 7, 8, 9 if my v12 Version fails, Thanks for all the time you put into this to help us.

The v15.1 file download link doesnt work