cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WTF? are you thinking with your controllers?

wezzy_the_wizar
Honored Guest
I hope Oculus reads this. Why are your new controllers so ridiculous? I bought an oculus because I liked the circle to be around my hands so I can hold it with ease and use it more naturally. With the new design you guys have coming out the big O serves no purpose just like the vive controllers. Please make your controllers like you did before as they actually served a purpose and were useful.
60 REPLIES 60

pyroth309
Visionary

Zenbane said:

I don't understand this idea that keeps popping up about "protecting my hands." The Vive Wands and Index Knuckles don't protect your hands either, so why is Oculus supposed to play the role of nurse nanny to everyone's hands all of a sudden?

For anyone who has sensitive hands that need protection during video games, I recommend some Boxing as a form of exercise.

If you really need hand-protection, buy some Gloves:
https://www.amazon.com/slp/hand-protection-gloves/j4smta5xg6ee3hm

The talk of the protection it offers has been going on since touch came out. Moreso on reddit though. Personally, I've hit many things with my touch and I was glad that ring was there. The guardian isn't the greatest solution when you have arms as long as me and you're in a smaller space. If you set it tight it just stays showing up nearly 100% of the time which is annoying and you end up ignoring it lol. (Dont' have the problem these days as I have a dedicated VR room)

Boxing isn't going to stop sharp corners or glass from ripping into flesh lol.

Gloves would have to be fingerless or you'd lose the capacitive touch capability.

That all said, I'm good with the new design and will make it work but I understand why people feel that way.  

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

pyroth309 said:
The talk of the protection it offers has been going on since touch came out. Moreso on reddit though. Personally, I've hit many things with my touch and I was glad that ring was there. The guardian isn't the greatest solution when you have arms as long as me and you're in a smaller space. If you set it tight it just stays showing up nearly 100% of the time which is annoying and you end up ignoring it lol. (Dont' have the problem these days as I have a dedicated VR room)

People with the Vive and PlayStation VR seem to have no problem engaging in Boxing and other hand-intensity movements without much issue. I've punched things with my Touch controllers too, but I've punched a lot worse things with my bare hands during my time on this Earth, and my hands are still fine. I don't see a real problem.

So you have never boxed then? Hitting a bag over long periods of time will cause calluses on your hands, and that certainly helps protect your skin. Just check the bottom of your feet. Similar to how playing guitar for a long time will cause calluses on your finger tips, which prevents "bleeding" caused by sliding your fingers across strings... and also makes guitar playing even easier overall.

Also, move or protect sharp corners and glass in areas where you are going to flail your arms around while blind-folded. I don't see why Oculus needs to be responsible for someone's common sense.

Gloves would have to be fingerless or you'd lose the capacitive touch capability.

Cut the tips of the Gloves off. Simple, no?

pyroth309
Visionary

Zenbane said:

So you have never boxed then? Hitting a bag over long periods of time will cause calluses on your hands, and that certainly helps protect your skin. Just check the bottom of your feet. Similar to how playing guitar for a long time will cause calluses on your finger tips, which prevents "bleeding" caused by sliding your fingers across strings... and also makes guitar playing even easier overall.

Also, move or protect sharp corners and glass in areas where you are going to flail your arms around while blind-folded. I don't see why Oculus needs to be responsible for someone's common sense.

Cut the tips of the Gloves off. Simple, no?

Yep I have boxed, also worked on a farm at one point when I was younger and also did powerlifting, all 3 put calluses all over my hands. They still could be cut and bleed though. But we're getting sidetracked

I agree with you that it isn't on Oculus to make sure your space is safe to play in but I also can relate to those who feel like it's a lost feature if they relied on it. 

For me, I plan to use my quest in my office when I have downtime and it will be a challenge but that's my problem and I'm aware of that. I already have some corner guards ordered lol. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

pyroth309 said:
Yep I have boxed, also worked on a farm at one point when I was younger and also did powerlifting, all 3 put calluses all over my hands. They still could be cut and bleed though.

Okay so you are worried about your hands getting cut and bleeding. Didn't you order the Valve Index??

So where is your concern about your hand cutting and bleeding with Knuckles? I see you made a post about your Knuckles suggestion:
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/675427/#Comment_675427

But your suggestion has nothing to do with protecting the hand! Since you brought up sharp corners, glass, cutting, and bleeding... tell me, what do you think is going to happen to your fingers with this thing:

???
Do you think that the hand itself or the fingers are more prone to injury? 😉

I'm wondering why you are overly concerned about hand safety with the Quest hand-controllers, but then you throw caution to the wind in a "worse" situation with Knuckles.

I agree with you that it isn't on Oculus to make sure your space is safe
to play in but I also can relate to those who feel like it's a lost
feature if they relied on it.

I would argue that people using the older Touch controllers for hand-protection were using something "not as intended." I would also argue that by Oculus removing that "not as intended" feature, that they are forcing people to rely on common sense instead, which is better for everyone.

pyroth309
Visionary
You missed the part where I said I have a dedicated VR room which is where my Index is going and I don't have a problem in there. :smile:

I have a problem in my office with a tight space with the quest and I also said that I got some protectors on order. I also said I don't have a big issue with it. 

CrashFu
Consultant
Hands heal on their own, but we sadly have not yet invented self-regenerating plastic and replacement controllers cost money. :grimace:

Btw, last time i visited Best Buy, they had the display up for the new Oculus devices; they weren't running demos yet, sadly, but I got the chance to hold one of the controllers.

I like it! The new grips feel great, the ergonomics on the button/thumbstick placement are excellent, the upwards ring gives me juuust enough room for my thumbs to comfortably stretch, and now I have plenty more room to stretch the rest of my fingers.

The only way it could be better is if the handle itself was just a couple centimers longer, so I had a wider area for my lower digits to grip. (And i have XL hands, so this shouldn't even be an issue for anyone else)

In other words, as far as I can see, the redesigned Touch controllers are essentially perfect :+1:
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

pyroth309
Visionary

CrashFu said:

Hands heal on their own, but we sadly have not yet invented self-regenerating plastic and replacement controllers cost money. :grimace:

Btw, last time i visited Best Buy, they had the display up for the new Oculus devices; they weren't running demos yet, sadly, but I got the chance to hold one of the controllers.

I like it! The new grips feel great, the ergonomics on the button/thumbstick placement are excellent, the upwards ring gives me juuust enough room for my thumbs to comfortably stretch, and now I have plenty more room to stretch the rest of my fingers.

The only way it could be better is if the handle itself was just a couple centimers longer, so I had a wider area for my lower digits to grip. (And i have XL hands, so this shouldn't even be an issue for anyone else)

In other words, as far as I can see, the redesigned Touch controllers are essentially perfect :+1:

Is it worse than the old Touch? That was a problem for me on CV1 touch, always felt like I wish they were a little bit longer. I have pretty wide hands. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

pyroth309 said:

You missed the part where I said I have a dedicated VR room which is where my Index is going and I don't have a problem in there.

I have a problem in my office with a tight space with the quest and I also said that I got some protectors on order. I also said I don't have a big issue with it. 

I'm simply asking why you stress the concern with Quest Controllers but not the Valve Knuckles considering that the problem is worse with Knuckles.

pyroth309
Visionary

Zenbane said:

pyroth309 said:

You missed the part where I said I have a dedicated VR room which is where my Index is going and I don't have a problem in there.

I'm simply asking why you stress the concern with Quest Controllers but not the Valve Knuckles considering that the problem is worse with Knuckles.

Because of the location of where I'm going to be using the Quest. My Index is going to be static and only operating in an empty dedicated VR room. That is the answer.

You're attacking me though like this is my thread lol. I was just saying I can see where they're coming from. I already bought a Quest so obviously I don't have a huge problem with it. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

pyroth309 said:
Because of the location of where I'm going to be using the Quest. My Index is going to be static and only operating in an empty dedicated VR room. That is the answer.

So you will never ever take your Index anywhere else? That's interesting.

Are there walls in the room where you will use your Index? Because if there are walls, and you have your fingers extended while swinging your hands around - which is a main feature of Knuckles - then you could break one or more fingers against a wall.

pyroth309 said:
You're attacking me though like this is my thread lol.

Oh now "attack" is a rather strong word here, don't you think? I mean... are you "attacking" Quest's Knuckles?

I was just saying I can see where they're coming from.

I can see where they are coming from too, and it's not a place that should be reinforced. These complaints come from a place that seems devoid of practicality as well as embracing a healthy dose of double-standards.

I already bought a Quest so obviously I don't have a huge problem with it. 

Yeah but you also ordered an Index and there is this strange phenomena that takes place where as soon as someone gets a non-Oculus product they end up being overly critical about Oculus products even in situations that they themselves find acceptable with their non-Oculus products. Such as you not being concerned about breaking your fingers against walls in your VR Room with Valve Knuckles, but being concerned about slicing your hands open with glass while using Quest at your office.