Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washed out colors in desktop mode with Windows 10 build 2004 on HDR display

andyb66
Honored Guest
Hello everyone,

My Setup looks like the following:

- PC with Windows 10 build 2004
- Connected to a LG OLED65C9 (HDR enabled)
- Oculus Rift S

Since the upgrade to Windows 10 build 2004, the colors are looking washed out, when accessing the desktop from within the Rift S. I think it has something to do with HDR. On the previous Windows 10 build (1909), everything was fine. Do someone know, if we can fix this issue?

Best Regards
14 REPLIES 14

andyb66
Honored Guest

andyb66 said:

Yes turning it off does fix the problem. But this is my living room pc, which is only connected to my TV, so no other displays connected.

you know that if you watch any video that has no hdr inside...you have to turn it off or u have washed\false colours right? like almost every video on youtube that has not HDR on a side of resolution (u can see that only when hdr is on on monitor) or movie downloaded around from emule with HDR in name (some are not really hdr but its rare they fake theme)

That's not true at all! There is the Windows setting for set up SDR content brightness (color) in HDR mode. As I said, everything was fine on 1909...

Xarstealth
Protege

andyb66 said:

andyb66 said:

Yes turning it off does fix the problem. But this is my living room pc, which is only connected to my TV, so no other displays connected.

you know that if you watch any video that has no hdr inside...you have to turn it off or u have washed\false colours right? like almost every video on youtube that has not HDR on a side of resolution (u can see that only when hdr is on on monitor) or movie downloaded around from emule with HDR in name (some are not really hdr but its rare they fake theme)

That's not true at all! There is the Windows setting for set up SDR content brightness (color) in HDR mode. As I said, everything was fine on 1909...

lol open netflix , prime, youtube on a movie without hdr and  switch hdr on\off u will see the difference with your eyes between having hdr enabled without hdr content...its far larger difference than watch an hdr movie without hdr pannel

if u have a good hdr like 1000+ you can use it for normal windows usage without many problem but only if u pur your tv on "super brilliant colours" (samsung calls it Dynamic dontknow other brands) but...all colours in that format are not natural as they should be, pretty like ppl was saying older iphone and samsung smartphone was taking nice photos because saturation was very hight...but was not the colour u see watching with your eyes the same subject

Edit : of course to do the test u must use full screen video 

andyb66
Honored Guest

andyb66 said:

andyb66 said:

lol open netflix , prime, youtube on a movie without hdr and  switch hdr on\off u will see the difference with your eyes between having hdr enabled without hdr content...its far larger difference than watch an hdr movie without hdr pannel

if u have a good hdr like 1000+ you can use it for normal windows usage without many problem but only if u pur your tv on "super brilliant colours" (samsung calls it Dynamic dontknow other brands) but...all colours in that format are not natural as they should be, pretty like ppl was saying older iphone and samsung smartphone was taking nice photos because saturation was very hight...but was not the colour u see watching with your eyes the same subject

In the end, that does not explain my  issue. The difference between 1909 and 2004 with HDR enabled but looking at SDR content is huge! The same problem exist with Teamviewer. On 1909 i was able to control my PC which is connected to my OLED and the colors were normal. Now on 2004 they are not, they are as washed out as when using desktop mode on the Rift S. So it has definitely something to do with the Windows update...

Xarstealth
Protege

andyb66 said:

andyb66 said:

andyb66 said:

In the end, that does not explain my  issue. The difference between 1909 and 2004 with HDR enabled but looking at SDR content is huge! The same problem exist with Teamviewer. On 1909 i was able to control my PC which is connected to my OLED and the colors were normal. Now on 2004 they are not, they are as washed out as when using desktop mode on the Rift S. So it has definitely something to do with the Windows update...

the strangest part is that i had same issue (but just with monitors, rift was fine) with 1903, worst with 1909 and 2004 fixed everything ^^

Windows is not friend of hdr thats not a secret, but for now just turn it of when u dont watch hdr movies or playing a game with hdr, most of content has not hdr so u will have benbefits even in normal videos, keep it on its not good for windows, theres few apps that auto enable it when launch but i found just a couple 
btw check if u have an hdmi 2.0 or 2.1, can be part of the problem

andyb66
Honored Guest
That's really strange yes!

Yes i know, weird that it worked before. Everything is connected via HDMI 2.0...