cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What now for Rift S costumers

Ephreal
Honored Guest
Hi

I got my Rift S in birthday present and was overjoyed because it was what I had wished for. 
Choosing the Rift S over the Quest due to the fact that its connected to my computer + graphics and I have a VR capable computer. 

But a few weeks later, the Quest gets it link so now it is also able to connect to the computer, and not only that it can also use finger tracking. 
It feels like i got the short end of the stick of something. 

So I can no longer see what the advantage is for the Rift S other than it was more expensive.
I know I got it as a present so I could care less.  

Could someone clarify this for me. 

Regards

5 REPLIES 5

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Your Rift S is still capable of doing everything that it could do when you got it. Also, Rift S wasn't more expensive, it costs the same as the cheapest version of Quest. It remains to be seen how well Quest+Link performs, but in any event, Quest getting new features doesn't take away anything from your Rift S.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

sneazzy95
Honored Guest
Rift S plus cher? pas du tout, coûte la même chose que Quest.

Javelin396
Adventurer
its hard to tell how the oculus link will work for everyone yet. the beta for the link function comes out sometime in November so we'll see how the image quality and performance works on a wide range of pcs when it drops. how much of it will be dependent on the cable used ( the optical fiber cable that Oculus will be selling will cost around $80 when i comes out. altho they also say that, while their cable was specifically designed for oculus link, any usb c cable should technically work) and the specs of the pc remains to be seen. People/youtubers that have gotten their hands on this new feature at Oculus Connect earlier this year seem to be largely impressed by it tho. Beyond that there are the  general comparisions between the headsets display/design to consider. The quest is significantly heavier in the front and it doesnt help that the weight isnt distributed evenly. the rift s has softer foam and the halo strap helps so that the weight gets better distributed on your head rather than the quest straps pulling the headset torword your face. granted, there are modifications you can make to help with this, such as the studioform head strap for the the quest. also you could add counterweights to the back of the quest to help even out the weight. as far as the display is concerned, you'd have to decide which is more important. in my experience using both, the rift s  lcd displays the better image with less glaring lighting effect. however, the display's "black" levels are more grayish and the colors are just a tad bit more washed out compared to the oled display of the quest/original rift.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

Ephreal said:

Hi

I got my Rift S in birthday present and was overjoyed because it was what I had wished for. 
Choosing the Rift S over the Quest due to the fact that its connected to my computer + graphics and I have a VR capable computer. 

But a few weeks later, the Quest gets it link so now it is also able to connect to the computer, and not only that it can also use finger tracking. 
It feels like i got the short end of the stick of something. 

So I can no longer see what the advantage is for the Rift S other than it was more expensive.
I know I got it as a present so I could care less.  

Could someone clarify this for me. 

Regards

If you have a PC than can run a dedicated HMD then you already have the best option already in the S, regardless of what this link cable can and can't do for vr PC gaming, you are already playing VR on PC the best way possible, with dedicated VR hardware connected directly to your PC via HDMI, everything else will be below that, so get those mods installed into SkyrimVR and Fallout 4 VR, hammer that detail up to ultra, and enjoy your VR gaming on your S, the grass won't be any greener on the other side. 😉
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

BrotherO4
Protege
i personlly sold the rift S..got the quest. got an Adapter mode kit so i can use the DAS and look legit.
with the new link cable plus the new Virtural desktop update... rift S is a pass. playing VR game fully wireless streaming from my pc with clean image...yea,