cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will they admit they don't care about Rift S any more?

bovice666
Explorer
Literally broke tons of peoples' functionality and don't even care enough to try to patch it before updating Quest some more. I fought my Index friends really hard on this purchase and I'm regretting it now, way to totally abandon a good product.
15 REPLIES 15

FelicityC
Adventurer
To be fair, there is finite time, and the teams are not likely one and the same; I would'nt

speak of the devil i was typing here while stuff updated and all my dash/link stuff crashed in sequence

it's not perfect at all but I'm still waiting 8+ weeks for my index so.....
8700k @ whatever i feel like, 2070 Super, 3200mhz 32gb memory @ CL16, 1tb wd sn750, msi z370 gaming plus, pvc pipe gun

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Index is not the solution for many normal users - Index is for enthusiasts, I would not recommend Index to persons new to VR. Instead Rift-S could be like a smaller, easier and downgraded Index, which is a great hmd for newbies (no need for external sensors, does not require a fast gpu due to asw 2.0). 

I'm not sure Oculus doesn't care for Rift-S, the Rift-S seems to work great for many persons. If Rift-S didn't work for the majority, the amount of posts on Reddit would be massive, and they aren't (admitted, the V18 problems seem rising, we'll see - but PTC may help some).

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

icecold951
Protege
I don't get how destroying one product will convince people to buy ANYTHING of theirs again. I won't touch a quest at this point. I won't even buy software from the oculus store.

FelicityC
Adventurer

RuneSR2 said:

Index is not the solution for many normal users - Index is for enthusiasts, I would not recommend Index to persons new to VR. Instead Rift-S could be like a smaller, easier and downgraded Index, which is a great hmd for newbies (no need for external sensors, does not require a fast gpu due to asw 2.0). 

I'm not sure Oculus doesn't care for Rift-S, the Rift-S seems to work great for many persons. If Rift-S didn't work for the majority, the amount of posts on Reddit would be massive, and they aren't (admitted, the V18 problems seem rising, we'll see - but PTC may help some).

idk if reddit is a good means of rating satisfaction %- i just did a glance and the oculus reddit is just all new threads of rift s problems and the quest one is threads of bad questions and quest problems

people tend to downvote problems and upvote memes so
8700k @ whatever i feel like, 2070 Super, 3200mhz 32gb memory @ CL16, 1tb wd sn750, msi z370 gaming plus, pvc pipe gun

bovice666
Explorer

RuneSR2 said:

As Felicity said above, almost every new post is a complaint about the update. Additionally, the PTC shouldn't be a branch with potential fixes for massive problems, it should be early access to new features. This is just lazy development.

I'd also argue not a single VR headset is for "normal users", everyone interested in VR right now is an ethusiast, it's still brand new technology. 400 dollars isn't cheap, the product should work at the very least for 400 bucks.

ageofwar666
Protege
I don't know with my interaction with people, a lot of them are packing either a Go or Quest which seems to overheat or run out of power after 30 mins

bovice666
Explorer

I don't know with my interaction with people, a lot of them are packing either a Go or Quest which seems to overheat or run out of power after 30 mins

I mean that's fair Rift S isn't actually entirely abandoned like the Go... I hope

dhrto
Expert Protege
It almost seems like Facebook took a page out the playbook of Apple with what's it called... oh yeah planned obsolescence.

mostek3pl
Honored Guest
Boycott the company.