cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Controllers do you prefer? Original Rift or Rift s?

Javelin396
Level 5
For those of us that upgraded or have had the chance to use both, im curious as to how many people prefer the new oculus touch controllers to the old ones
10 REPLIES 10

KNP54
Level 5
Ergonomic wise, I find them similar, but for tracking, the CV1 controllers were better imo.
Specs: Delidded i7-8086k @ 5.0 GHz all cores, NZXT X52 cooler, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz, ASRock Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, Corsair SF600 platinum, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1TB, Samgung 850 EVO 500GB + 840 EVO 500GB in raid0, Seagate Ironwolf 10TB, Louqe Ghost S1, Asus PB287Q 3840x2160 @ 60Hz, Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 1680x1050 @ 60Hz. Oculus Rift S.

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
For me there are tracking issues relating the new controllers which aren't strictly accuracy related but range related... ie when right up against the headset or out of view to the side or behind the headset.

Likewise, I was about to buy a third, possibly forth camera for CV1 because the tracking was hopeless with two cameras for anything other than front facing. Outside-in has given me no problems with room-scale at all and I suspect, with the controllers being closer to cameras, accuracy is improved when not out of those ranges.

So on balance I'm in the middle.

I definitely don't buy into the ring positions being more awkward or they don't protect your hands anymore, I'd rather my hands protect the controllers and placing the new controllers/picking them up, in the position of motorcycle handlebars seems more natural to me.

Also, having Quest and S means if something fails, I can use the other headset controllers. mm ok on balance now I'm thinking new is better... a no preference option in the vote would still have been good though 😉

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19043.1081)

RattyUK
Level 10
For me the original touch controllers were easier to 'pick up' from the lanyards after putting the Rift on as the bottom was heavier than top, meaning the controls were easily 'to hand' because of this.  The top mounted ring on the S controllers means some rotation is needed...

I'm just lazy though 😛
PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
Rift S
Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
The Rift-S/Quest controllers have one less capacitive sensor, a sharp edge up against your thumb if it isn't sitting on the buttons, feel cheap and flimsy, have been shown numerous times on the net to break easily, have a battery cover that opens when I play beat saber, cheap feeling lanyard and aren't compatible with the more detailed haptic vibration interface in the SDK.

The old Touch feel solid. Also, they support being flashed to VR Objects for mixed reality camera tracking (or tracking things like motion rigs), which new Touch can't do.

I've got 8 touch controllers (4 old, 4 new), I'd use the old ones every time if given the chance.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Techy111
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
My original touch controllers are 4 next year and still going strong, wish I could get them to work with my HP Reverb !!! The WMR ones are woeful and I never use them.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Techy111 said:

My original touch controllers are 4 next year and still going strong, wish I could get them to work with my HP Reverb !!! The WMR ones are woeful and I never use them.

You'd need at least 3 touch controllers to do that well. The third one set as a VR object and attached to the Reverb to sync the coordinate systems between Oculus and WMR.
Plus something that could inject fake coordinates into WMR, I don't know if that exists. I can inject fake coords into Oculus software (like using a PS4 controller to move fake touch controllers), but I've never tried WMR (since I don't have one).

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Techy111
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Well get one and sort me out  B)
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Techy111 said:

Well get one and sort me out  B)

I was going to get a Reverb, but HP Australia charges more than HP US or HP UK (and they don't ship to Aus).

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
I think the original Touch controllers are ergonomically better (I can open my hand and my fingers hook into the ring keeping the controller in place), and they were tough as hell. The new ones aren’t massively different, but I can’t point to anything that I prefer about them. 

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, 3x Samsung Evo 1TB | Startech PCIe 4x USB 3.0 | Startech PCIe 2x USB C 3.1 gen2