cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

White Static Flashes in Rift S

misfitpunish3r
Honored Guest
Hello all,

Wanted to post this in the forums to see of anyone else is having a similar issue, in hopes that I'm not the only one or perhaps someone has already contacted Oculus to see if it's a software issue or not.

I'm having intermittent white (kind of like static) flashes every now and then. They're completely at random and happen in Oculus home and all the VR games I've tried with it (Marvel Powers United, Onward, Blade and Sorcery, Beat Saber)

Any info (other than "I'm not having any issues at all") is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
415 REPLIES 415

Max_Immelmann
Protege
oh wow.  i just posted about my rift-s malfunctioning.  among the many the malfunctions were these strange screen flashes i would get, to me it was like a lightning flash.

it became progressively worse till now, i have non-working rift-s.  i got sound.  no video.  just a black screen.  $450 piece of equipment, with shipping and all.  $100+ in VR software.  brand new gaming rig bought just for VR.  am i playing skyrim fighting dragons?  going rock climbing in yosemite?  taking a virtual walk on mars?

nope. 

instead i am using my gaming rig's FULL potential, typing, here on the forums.  :-(..........

Mnemonic
Protege

i got sound.  no video.  just a black screen.  

If you use multimonitor setup, try to switch to just a single screen (disconnect other screens physically), also switch Oculus software to Public Beta in settings.

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer
Heard a mention of this in F. Reality Podcast; they reiterated the dev's post that said fix is coming soon.
My 30 days are coming up at the end of this week. Hopefully we get a fix by then (not that it seems likely) cause refunding the headset isn't something I'm looking forward to.

KNP54
Heroic Explorer
Received my Rift S yesterday, and I too get white static flashes intermittently! I have a background in electronics engineering and I can tell you probably what is happening: The display is losing track of the embedded clock within the 8b/10b encoding?
Specs: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, Deepcool Castle EX 360, 32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600MHz, Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming, Asus ROG Strix 3080ti, Corsair HX1000, Western Digital SN850 M.2 NVMe 2TB, Samgung 850 EVO 500GB & 840 EVO 500GB in raid0, Seagate Ironwolf 10TB, Corsair 4000D Airflow, Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 @ 100Hz, Acer V287K 3840x2160@ 60Hz, Oculus Rift S, Oculus Quest 2 256GB.

john.zigmont
Heroic Explorer

KNP54 said:

Received my Rift S yesterday, and I too get white static flashes intermittently! I have a background in electronics engineering and I can tell you probably what is happening: The display is losing track of the embedded clock within the 8b/10b encoding?

Would this problem arise from the cable length on the Rift S ?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

KNP54 said:

If that's what is happening then how long should it take to fix?

Dreadpirateflap
Expert Protege

Giving me hope, if they find a way to fix the grip issue as well

RedRizla said:

KNP54 said:

If that's what is happening then how long should it take to fix?

Oculus said a fix is ready I believe, but it was too late to put out in the current patch, which means it should go out in the next beta patch.

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer

Oculus said a fix is ready I believe, but it was too late to put out in the current patch, which means it should go out in the next beta patch.

That's great news that totally snuck past my radar. Where did you see that;y dying to find out

Dreadpirateflap
Expert Protege

That's great news that totally snuck past my radar. Where did you see that;y dying to find out

It's a sticky on here. right at the top.
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/78729/quick-status-update-on-rift-s-static-white-fl...

And apparently the grip issue a lot of us have had is fixed now with the latest patch (not sure if it affected you, certainly afected me... twice lol)

Ooh, it was updated today that a fix has come out in the PTC. so hopefully it's already sorted as of today.

Dreadpirateflap
Expert Protege

Literally downloading the patch now as it just popped up while typing lol. fingers crossed the flashes are gone.