cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a USB 3.0 to Type-C work to power the Rift S?

Aupuma
Explorer
Hi, I have an MSI laptop, and I to use the DP to mini DP adapter for the display, but for the power I have to use a USB 3 on the other side of the laptop, as the mini DP adapter is next to USB 3, but it is so badly designed I don't have space to fit the cable and use that port.

On the mini DP side I have also a Type C, would it be possible to use a 3.0 to Type C adapter for the power like this one?
5 REPLIES 5

profanicus
Honored Guest
Yep, I have mine plugged into the graphics card's usb-c port using an adaptor.

KNP54
Heroic Explorer
Yes, basically a type-C connector is USB 3.1 and USB 2.0 at the same time. The adapter will just connect the USB 3.1 pins on the type C connector to a standard type A connector. There isn't even any electronics in the adapter, just wires!

Specs: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, Deepcool Castle EX 360, 32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600MHz, Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming, Asus ROG Strix 3080ti, Corsair HX1000, Western Digital SN850 M.2 NVMe 2TB, Samgung 850 EVO 500GB & 840 EVO 500GB in raid0, Seagate Ironwolf 10TB, Corsair 4000D Airflow, Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 @ 100Hz, Acer V287K 3840x2160@ 60Hz, Oculus Rift S, Oculus Quest 2 256GB.

Telorn
Expert Protege

Yep, I have mine plugged into the graphics card's usb-c port using an adaptor.

Nvidia? Which adapter are you using? I tried using my 2080Ti usbc port but I had to move it because I was getting robotic, high pitched mic from the rift. Everything else worked great.

profanicus
Honored Guest

Telorn said:

Nvidia? Which adapter are you using? I tried using my 2080Ti usbc port but I had to move it because I was getting robotic, high pitched mic from the rift. Everything else worked great.

Yep, 2080ti. Haven't noticed any issues with the mic or audio (just made a Skype test call, it seemed fine).

This is the adapter I'm using:
https://www.aukey.com/products/usb-c-to-usb-3-0-female-adapter-cb-a22

darbosss
Explorer
I too have been using an adapter.  I had small tracking problems when I first got it, which surprised me I have new motherboard (asus hero xi) but once I switched to the usb-c on my 2080 its been working flawless.  I use this guy:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/j5create-usb-type-c-to-usb-3-0-type-a-adapter-white/8755838.p?skuId=875...