cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will my oculus rift be able to run future oculus quest games?

Chamelanius
Honored Guest
I would like to know if this would be possible since not only am I still paying for my rift, (paying monthly) but even if i wouldn't, I could not afford another 400 euros. So I'd like to know if my rift can play any games that are going to come out for the quest on my rift as long as my pc can run it.
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
No one knows at this time. More information should come out around F8. Other wise at this time - the answer is no as in you will need to buy two different games - one for the rift and one for the Quest.

Games on the other should be shift to both products over a given time with some software maybe getting a time release to that hardware, but there maybe be a few titles that will never come to both. A game working on Quest shouldnt be hard to port over to the Rift unlike the other way around.

Chamelanius
Honored Guest

Mradr said:

No one knows at this time. More information should come out around F8. Other wise at this time - the answer is no as in you will need to buy two different games - one for the rift and one for the Quest.

I don't mind having to buy a different maybe even worse looking game however I would think that my pc would be able to make the games look even. I just want to know since they said that the quest can play games from the rift, but they didn't tell us if the rift could play games from the quest.

Anonymous
Not applicable
It honestly depends on the software devs if they want to build out for both systems or just one. Oculus has no hands in what a dev has to do when it comes out to releasing to product a or b in this case.

Chamelanius
Honored Guest

Mradr said:

It honestly depends on the software devs if they want to build out for both systems or just one. Oculus has no hands in what a dev has to do when it comes out to releasing to product a or b in this case.

It's just that I don't see the difference if the game is being processed in the headseat by a computer or in my pc and being displayed on the headseat.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Mradr said:

It's just that I don't see the difference if the game is being processed in the headseat by a computer or in my pc and being displayed on the headseat.

Yes, in the same way it doesn't matter if a game is being processed in your phone by a computer or in your PC because the the CPU, Memory, GPU, storage, instruction sets, OS, drivers are completely different which means it totally doesn't require a new software build.

I think I confused myself with my own sarcasm.  Software needs to be written for the hardware it's running on.  There's more to it than "It's got a computer."

Chamelanius
Honored Guest

TwoHedWlf said:

Mradr said:

Yes, in the same way it doesn't matter if a game is being processed in your phone by a computer or in your PC because the the CPU, Memory, GPU, storage, instruction sets, OS, drivers are completely different which means it totally doesn't require a new software build.

I think I confused myself with my own sarcasm.  Software needs to be written for the hardware it's running on.  There's more to it than "It's got a computer."

I thought that in the oculus quest there was a mini computer built in like for example in other electronics. That's why i thought that and now since i know that its something different i can understand. Guess i'll have to live with the rift not being supported anymore in a few years but by then i'll have enough money saved up in order to buy a quest.

falken76
Expert Consultant

Mradr said:

The difference is in the horsepower that your computer can hold.  There's no way that Quest is going to be able to hold the GPU power of the computer.  I think what you will see is a shift on development over to the Quest as a focus as opposed to the Rift.  Why?  Because everyone is always going to follow the money and I think a lot of people will buy the Quest.  Then it won't be long before you never see rift exclusives and everything on Rift is a port from a Quest game.  I really hope I'm wrong, but I suspect it will be the case since that's most likely where the money will lead....

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

I thought that in the oculus quest there was a mini computer built in like for example in other electronics. That's why i thought that and now since i know that its something different i can understand. Guess i'll have to live with the rift not being supported anymore in a few years but by then i'll have enough money saved up in order to buy a quest.

Why have you suddenly jumped to the conclusion that the Rift won't be supported in a few years time? Where did you read about this? Granted there will be a new Oculus Rift 2 probably within 3 years time or much sooner, but how do you know the games won't work with the current Rift? For that matter you could say the Oculus Quest won't be supported in a few years time. I'm just a bit confused by this part of your posts that's all.

Chamelanius
Honored Guest

RedRizla said:

Why have you suddenly jumped to the conclusion that the Rift won't be supported in a few years time? Where did you read about this? Granted there will be a new Oculus Rift 2 probably within 3 years time or much sooner, but how do you know the games won't work with the current Rift? For that matter you could say the Oculus Quest won't be supported in a few years time. I'm just a bit confused by this part of your posts that's all.

I'm just afraid that I'd have to purchase it since thats what happens with a ps for example once the newer model is released, the older one starts getting pushed away and I guess the fear of having to sell everything including my soul in order to be able to keep playing vr was talking out of me.