cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the new Oculus Rift S function properly connected through a USB 3.1 Type-C adaptor?

rnarracci
Honored Guest
Will the new Oculus Rift S function properly connected to a laptop through a DisplayPort-to-USB3.1Type-C adapter?
I'm interested in an ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX701 laptop which has a "USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C with Display Port 1.4 Power Delivery".
This laptop also has HDMI ports but I haven't seen any confirmation yet that the Oculus Rift S works properly ported into HDMI with a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter. 
benx1di70znb.png

mfhys45ukq7p.png

2dhd7ypk4oa5.png

9 REPLIES 9

rnarracci
Honored Guest
what I've found so far....

Type                     Resolution      Refresh Rate     Bandwidth     Pins
HDMI 2.0             3840x2160      60Hz                 18Gb/s          19
DisplayPort 1.2    3840x2160      60Hz                 17.28Gb/s     19
USB-C                 ?                      ?                        10Gb/s          24

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/b5tkdw/rift_s_hdmi_to_displayport/
Also a Reddit commenter says that "a USB-C port that supports DisplayPort Alt Mode, allowing you to use a simple USB-C to DisplayPort adapter."
However, its bandwidth is much less that HDMI 2.0.

rnarracci
Honored Guest
The answer is, use an adapter that is display port or mini display port to USB-C

this worked...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JGCK58M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

this worked...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G2SY3Z8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(caveat...the package came with two....one worked and the other did not)

this registered in the Oculus Setup as working, but the goggles stayed dark
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JQORLCG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would not mind having a Virtual Link adapter that had a plug for Display Port and USB3, then I would just plug the Rift S  into my 2080 Ti.
I have not see one as of yet.

Fiyre
Honored Guest

I can confirm that the Zephyrus S GX701 works very well with the Amazon Basics USB C to Displayport adapter connecting the Oculus Rift S.  This is the exact same setup I have in my bedroom and it works just fine!

Be sure to have the Zephyrus fully updated before plugging in your Rift S.

Fiyre
Honored Guest
Note that you have to use the USB C port on the left side of the Zephyrus.  It has a DisplayPort logo next to it.vpha69ddie7h.jpgvzlkq5hlg6pz.jpg

Fiyre
Honored Guest

I guess it is using this standard

DisplayPort Over USB-C

The most advanced A/V display connection technology now uses the most versatile connector.

• Full DisplayPort audio/video (A/V) performance (up to 8k at 60Hz)
  • SuperSpeed USB (USB 3.1) data
  • Up to 100 watts of power over a single cable
  • Reversible plug orientation and cable direction
  • Backward compatibility to VGA, DVI, and HDMI with plug adapters or adapter cables
  • Adapters supports HDMI 2.0a and full 4K UHD resolution

AlexAtkinUK
Protege

dburne said:

I would not mind having a Virtual Link adapter that had a plug for Display Port and USB3, then I would just plug the Rift S  into my 2080 Ti.
I have not see one as of yet.

Yes its very disappointing as USB-C to USB3.0 and HDMI is easy to find, but I can't find DP anywhere.  Yet USB-C to DP and USB-C to USB 3.0 are easy to find, just not both in a single adapter.

DogeGuy420
Honored Guest
Does anyone know if this works on Acer nitro 5? Cant seem to find any help on this subject.

montanamoondog
Honored Guest

Fiyre said:

I can confirm that the Zephyrus S GX701 works very well with the Amazon Basics USB C to Displayport adapter connecting the Oculus Rift S.  This is the exact same setup I have in my bedroom and it works just fine!

Be sure to have the Zephyrus fully updated before plugging in your Rift S.

Fiyre please tell me how you did it!!!  We have the same rig and same adapter and my laptop will not detect any monitor through that port.  I’ve been trying to solve this for over a week.