cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows and Steam VR very slow since connected to the Oculus Rift S

apollo_86
Honored Guest
Hey,

i am completely new to VR and i got my ORS a couple days ago. I am blown away and i love it so much. This technology is an absolute Game changer and since i got into it i wouldnt miss it anymore.

Sadly i also experience some issues that i never had before with my PC. My PC normally takes about 2-3 seconds in the Windows boot screen, but since i connected the ORS the boot sequence takes about 2 minutes which is a crazy increase in booting time. I also have a Problem with Steam VR.

Everytime i start Steam now it says "Updating Steam ..." and this takes 5-6 minutes. Then Steam starts and it is extremly laggy and slow. The whole PC becomes unusable because of that and i always have to restart.

I cant play any games from steam because of this. Its so laggy, and the games never actually start when i click them. Everything in the Oculus Store works perfectly fine though ...

My PC got a fresh install 3 month ago and i kept my system very organized and clean. I also have the newest driver installed for all my hardware and i tried disconnecting the headset also already.

My Specs:
Ryzen 2700x
16 GB DDR4
GTX 1060 6GB

Does anyone experience the same issues?

Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3

Crazy_Sane
Superstar
Running Steam and Oculus at the same time will slow down your machine. Have a look at your CPU/ RAM performance.

Have you watched/ read a tutorial on using the Rift S with Steam? I don't think it's completely plug and play.

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

Running Steam and Oculus at the same time will slow down your machine. Have a look at your CPU/ RAM performance.

Have you watched/ read a tutorial on using the Rift S with Steam? I don't think it's completely plug and play.

To play SteamVR games you have to have Steam running, I always have Steam and Oculus running at the same time, and don't have any issues.  His specs are better than mine !
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

PastaNachos
Honored Guest

Did you ever figure this out? I'm experiencing the same. My entire computer is 100% slower.