cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

front sensor placement

Daveroo43
Honored Guest
hey all my first post,im a very new user of rift+touch.i have three sensors,adding a 4th (i dont know why other than i had the cash)sensor,but the front two,do they have to be flush with one another?,,lets say do they both need to be sitting at (for arguments sake) 12 inches from the wall ?,can one be at 12" and one 24" ?..i have a small bedroom,and i removed the closet to make a gaming center,i fly X-Plane,i will use the google earth and a few other things like that,but i have a cockpit with all the bells and whistles.plus a 3D printer,regular printer,dozens of models on display etc.this all beside and on shelves above the cockpit.being in the closet,i have short stub walls that make putting the sensors all in a perfect square.  say font left "LF" is 24 inches from the corners ,and RF is 8ft to the right of LF and 36" from the front wall,but 40"s from the far right wall,RR is 10ft away from LF (behind and to my right)and then also 40"s from the right wall,with the 4th sensor to my left and behind me,and LR is 11ft away from LF ,but 8ft from RR,making a box with the left front sensor a foot closer to the front wall than the right front.   i may have confused myself here..
6 REPLIES 6

Daveroo43
Honored Guest
im trying to upload a drawingi7iwqjtw2n90.jpg

Richooal
Consultant
You haven't mentioned the height that your sensors are mounted at. Is LR on the floor and RR on your bed? Sensors mounted in the corner at ceiling height can be angled downwards to cover more of the floor area near your desk.

The sensors "see" a rectangular cone approx. 100° Horizontal and 75° vertical.
If you download the free app "Sensor Bounds", it allows you to see what area each of your sensors covers.

Also great information here .................
https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-tips-for-setting-up-a-killer-vr-room/

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Daveroo43
Honored Guest
ok,thanks for the "sensor bounds" and the link,and the two over tthe bed will be mounted to the ceiling,and the two in front,well that was going to be part two.both are about 6ft off the floor,but ive been seeing on youtube to place one high and one low,then some say all 4 (3) high.im just not sure what i should do about them.one high?.and the lower one would need to then be forward,.as in my drawing from right front.so would it still work?...maybe i need to do anther short drawing to show what i mean?..ive been accused of talking in circles ...i always come back around to it............. B)

Daveroo43
Honored Guest
shoot,i think the problem is that i feel the sensor shouldnt be to close to me?..which is what will happen if i put the right one (or the left) down low as the shelf i have the flight controls on is very wide.can the left one be on the celing ,so that it looks down on the front of me (the headset and touch thingies) and the right one sitting back away from the wall more to see when i need to lower my hands?

Richooal
Consultant
I use 3 sensors.
The front ones are in the corners of the room at ceiling height (2.8 mtrs apart)
My rear one is in line with my LF sensor 3.0 mtrs away and 1.8 mtrs high.

This works great for me, but the objective is to allow each sensor to see as much of the play area as possible, from as many sides as possible. Then the play area where they all overlap each other is where you will get the least problems. This is why Sensor Bounds is so good. It will help you to see if the edge of your desk is in the way, for example.

mjybdmmhq1tf.jpg
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Daveroo43
Honored Guest
ok,thank you for that,im going to assume that the front two should be evenly spaced from the front wall though.i will use the sensor bounds to lay them out,thing is,im disabled and semi- ambulatory,so i need a neighbor to help,and hes older and has no clue what vr is or why i need it,lol ,agaiin thank you much for your guidance