cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

microphone problems with the rift s?

sethman600
Explorer
i got my rift s on release day and everything worked fine until yesterday. when i plugged in my headphones to the audio jack and tried to speak on discord nothing was being picked up. i then tried to speak with out the headphones and still didnt work. so i tried in game to see if it was just discord but it didnt work in game either. anyone know a possible fix to this?
35 REPLIES 35

kaha66
Protege
Hello
I come back after receiving and testing my cable extensions
it works well ( no more issues of sound, microphone, black or white screen  )
VEMONT 4-port USB 3.0 Hub,Ultra Slim High-Speed USB Splitter Extension Data Hub with Powered Supply Adapter Individual LED Switches for Apple MacBook Air/Pro/Mini/iMac/Windows Laptops and Ultrabooks
Cable Matters Cable Displayport 8K (Cable Displayport 1.4 / Cable Display Port) with 8K 60Hz video resolution and HDR support - 1.8m
DisplayPort Repeater Cable Matters (DisplayPort Extension Cable, DisplayPort Signal Amplifier, DisplayPort Amplifier) with 8K video resolution support for Oculus Rift and more

dadombi
Honored Guest

tomdrc1 said:

I think that there was an issue with the microphone at a manufacturing bunch, can you guys confirm the date? My headset was manufactured at 12/2019 and it has this issue, a friend of mine who bought his headset a few days ago which was manufactured at the 3/2020 doesn't seem to have any problems. (You can find the date on the bottom of the headset's box)

I can confirm that i have one showing the same problem as described here and can also confirm that mine is also dated 12/2019.
Just wrote oculus support. Maybe they can offer a solution without me having to get a new cable.

downbeatman
Honored Guest
I have this problem and have had this problem for a while now, it seems the only fix is to unplug the headset and plug it back in. I want to try some sort of external microphone extension like the desktop mic but I am confused as to how that would work because you wouldn't be sitting at your desk so the microphone would be super quiet when picking you up.

JerryNewton
Honored Guest
Oculus Rift S microphone problem solved on mainboard M5A78L-M/USB3

The USB 3.0 controller for the mainboard M5A78L-M/USB3 is from Asmedia.  My microphone on the Oculus Rift S did not work at all. I searched for an older driver and found one. With version 1.16.51.1 the microphone of the Oculus Rift S now also works with the latest Windows 10 Pro, version:2004, installed on 3.7.2020, operating system 19041.388

Just search for ASMedia ASM104x, V1.16.51.1 in your browser, download the zip file and unzip it. The directory Driver_Win 10 contains the old driver for Windows 10 64 Bit.

You only have to install it manually via the device manager. Search in the device manager for USB controller and then ASMedia USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller. Right click Update Driver and then search for drivers on my computer. There you have to enter the driver directory from the unzipped ASMedia driver, directory Driver_Win 10. After the installation you only have to restart your PC. 

Have fun with your Oculus Rift S. 

23x5idkrh8mq.jpg
Wie man den Treiber auswählt und das entsprechende Verzeichnis.

Stas_Gunin
Honored Guest
I tried your method, downgraded driver ASMedia USB3.0 eXtensible Host Controller to version V1.16.51.1 and after restart windows lost ALL USB devices.
So. in my case, it didn't work at all, made it worse.

Anonymous
Not applicable

i actually ended up fixing it by just unplugging the usb and displayport for the headset and then plugged them back in

This is also what fixed it for me lol