cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v16 PTC PC Software Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Social

• You can now send and receive clickable links through Chats! Clicked links will open in a web browser.
  • User-created events now allow you to easily start a chat thread with all users who have been invited. Please note that this feature is only available to a percentage of users at this time.
  • Parties has received a variety of quality improvements! This includes updates to the party invite flow to account for additional edge cases and clearer notifications upon joining a Party.
  • When unsubscribing from an event, you will now be prompted to confirm your decision.

Oculus Link

• Fixed an issue that caused the Cable Testing functionality to sometimes hang.
  • Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented Oculus Link from launching correctly after reconnecting Quest to your PC.
  • General stability improvements.
39 REPLIES 39

Aesthetiker
Explorer
i have to laugh so hard, when thinking of a Dev making a Object for Oculus Home... 😄 Its so overrated and a waist of dev time... 

Go and fix the problems that were since 1.3 in the pipeline.... 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

i have to laugh so hard, when thinking of a Dev making a Object for Oculus Home... 😄 Its so overrated and a waist of dev time... 

Go and fix the problems that were since 1.3 in the pipeline.... 

I have to say I agree.  Ever since going away from Home 1.0 the Oculus home environment has been a complete waste of Developers time imho.  Thinking that everyone wants to play with dollhouses and then invite their little friends to visit them (maybe for a nice cup of tea, lol!) is both silly and immature imho.  Their time would be much better spent on the core issues like performance. 

No problem having in nice background wallpaper like Home 1.0 or the Go environments and if social media is important to anyone, then provide separate social media apps, even if they need to be Facebook based.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable
So I got the V16 software today and got a message saying new drivers need to be installed before I can use the Rift S so OK, let it do its thing and restarted as requested. Was curious to see what the driver date was so had a look through device manager and found the below:

Imaging Devices:
             Rift S, driver 1.0.0.1 30/04/2019
Sound, video and game controllers:
            2X Rift S, 10.0.18362.1 18/03/2019
System Devices:
            Oculus Virtual Gamepad Emulation Bus, driver 1.5.8.0 02/08/2017
Universal Serial Bus controllers:
            2X Rift S, driver 1.0.0.8 27/03/2019

So what are these driver updates? all the drivers look to be a year old, 2.5 years in one case. Is something broken/failing to update here? Can someone check their driver versions for me in device manager?

My Oculus software is showing version 16.0.0.98.452

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Just install the darn drivers, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable

TomCgcmfc said:

Just install the darn drivers, lol!

Who what now? Of course you always install them, don’t exactly get a choice, but those are my current driver versions in device manager after today’s update. 

So I’m wondering if they are actually installing properly. What are your version? 

morphee7
Expert Protege

So I got the V16 software today and got a message saying new drivers need to be installed before I can use the Rift S so OK, let it do its thing and restarted as requested. Was curious to see what the driver date was so had a look through device manager and found the below:

Imaging Devices:
System Devices:

So what are these driver updates? all the drivers look to be a year old, 2.5 years in one case. Is something broken/failing to update here? Can someone check their driver versions for me in device manager?

maybe this is the wrong place to reply but im still on v15 but i still have those drivers aswell, and like you said you have to install the "new" drivers before you can use your rift s again

Anonymous
Not applicable

morphee7 said:

Imaging Devices:
System Devices:

maybe this is the wrong place to reply but im still on v15 but i still have those drivers aswell, and like you said you have to install the "new" drivers before you can use your rift s again

OK, so what exactly are these “new”
drivers? @ShowbizDonkey can you tell us what these drivers are and what the latest versions should be?

cigaremoods
Heroic Explorer

Now all Oculus is interested in is FaceBook, and they think that it is with the Quest that they can have the most grip with users. So they put the package in to make it work.

And why that: see below.

uk7vnpxdv0wi.jpg
MSI Z790 ACE, MSI RTX 4090 SUPRIM X, I7 14700K, Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 32 go, 2 x Samsung SSD 980 PRO M.2 PCIe NVMe 2 To

Richooal
Consultant
Got my "update" to 16.0.0.98.452 yesterday. Not too enthusiastic about trying it out to be honest.
The entire "update" was about "social" and Quest Link. My only concern is that they may have finally broken my CV1, so I tested it out today.

I'm happy to report that, yet again, my CV1+3 has survived an Ocubook "update". I must have got one of the good ones they were saving for staff. 🙂 I feel Luckey.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Mr_PoOL
Protege

Yeah let me contact support like a lot of people have done and get absolutely no solution to the problem, that is an amazing idea from you. As for your excuse and defense of this (somehow), the issues have been a thing since v12, since December of last year, if they can't find the solution to a simple problem that wasn't in place in 1.43, people who are considered by many "Wizzards", then something is wrong over there. It's been more than 100 days since the problem happened, I'm sure that's well enough time to find out and squash the issue.

PS: yes, antagonizing every update released is going to change something, they clearly see a lot of people need it and thanks to us pointing it out and calling them out every update they don't fix it, will get them to do so.

I'm an Oculus fan as much as anyone else who is invested into the ecosystem, I recommend people to get the Rift S over any other HMD simply because it's the best bang for the buck, but I'm not going to lick their eyeball like you're doing here, I'm here to voice the issues I and many others that have also posted are experiencing, and praise they're accomplishments. 

Good day.

Liking Oculus has nothing to do with it. I'm not prizing them in any way - I'm pointing you are taking the wrong approach. 

Oculus developer are not reading those posts. I'm a software developer myself and I know how this works. If you don't report the issue nothing will get done and still you refuse to do what is in your own best interest and report it. From managers point of view there is basically 0 people with this issue right now and that means there is no point spending time on it. This is a user paradox that every developer or IT support person comes across every day.

- It doesn't work!
- Have you reported it?
- No.

Granted I don't visit this forums too often but I've seen exactly 5 people mentioning this issue including you and I actively searched. If 5 is a lot for you and a reason not to contact support you grossly misjudged the scale of Oculus. 

Once again I suggest that you use proper channels. Contact support, create User Voice suggestion and post it here under every update, on Reddit, everywhere so as many people with the issue see it and upvote it. Just don't behave like and average corporate user and hope that everyone does this for you while you complain next to the water cooler. 

Strongly re-affirming that you should contact support if you are experiencing issues. I would also recommend using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software to report the bug or behavior you're experiencing. You generally won't get troubleshooting from submitting something through that channel, but it does ensure that our engineering team gets eyes on the issues. We do look at the forums, but it's not easy to figure out what's going on or how many people a given issue is affecting if all we have is a forum comment to go off of. It's important to remember that everyone's PC hardware and software is a little bit different and what may seem like the same issue from a one line forum comment could be something completely different. We really want to help make sure everyone has a great experience, so if you are having trouble with something, it's important to reach out to support so the team can look specifically into your case.

One thing I would call out, though, is that I don't think UserVoice is the best place for this type of feedback. Yes, it gives us a number, but it's not easy to tell who is actually experiencing an issue vs who is just throwing an upvote on there. It also has the same problem that the forums do, in that it does not allow us to easily troubleshoot specific cases or look for common root causes between cases potentially stemming from specific hardware, software, accessories, etc. Best to just go with the support ticket and the in-software provide feedback option.

Thanks for re-affirming, just did a long feedback submit.