cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v16 PTC PC Software Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Social

• You can now send and receive clickable links through Chats! Clicked links will open in a web browser.
  • User-created events now allow you to easily start a chat thread with all users who have been invited. Please note that this feature is only available to a percentage of users at this time.
  • Parties has received a variety of quality improvements! This includes updates to the party invite flow to account for additional edge cases and clearer notifications upon joining a Party.
  • When unsubscribing from an event, you will now be prompted to confirm your decision.

Oculus Link

• Fixed an issue that caused the Cable Testing functionality to sometimes hang.
  • Fixed an issue that sometimes prevented Oculus Link from launching correctly after reconnecting Quest to your PC.
  • General stability improvements.
39 REPLIES 39

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Tried 16ptc today.  Same bugs since v13.  Artifacts on Oculus virtual desktop unless you go to dashboard settings graphics and enable panel rendering.  Same x Plane 11 shutdown bug.  Hangs and need to use task manager to kill it.  Still, it did not manage to brick my Rift cv1 w/2x sensors at least.

I’m pretty sure these bugs will carry on once 16 goes public, lol!  Sorry, I don't mean to sound too negative.  Hopefully these bugs will get sorted out soon.  Rome not built in a day and all that.

Gone back to v15.1 for now.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Kareshi
Heroic Explorer
Got 2 updates on the PTC in the last week and there's literally no notes to what is the update about, nor is there anything here, so what gives?

Richooal
Consultant
That's just the normal way of doing things here. They are not interested in targeted feedback from the PTC. I think they just work off statistics.
//................
IF this thread remains short THEN release to public ELSE count complaints.
IF complaints > 78% THEN maybe have a look at the problem.
IF problem not solved THEN release another version.                                         "comment" let's see if this works
....................//

I'd hate to be one those customers with frame rate or stuttering problems, after 4 new "updates" you'd be expecting a fix.
I can't think of any other device that constantly forces software changes on the user. My Rift is definitely NOT a Consumer Version (CV), it's a test bench for Oculus software.
A working version of the software should be released that can be relied on to work. Any "new/updated" software should be offered with an incentive to use it (like new features), but as an option. Consumers should not be experimental guinea pigs.
Even PC's allow the user to keep old operating systems. I still run a notebook with XP on it because it still does what it needs to.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah while I have apparently been very lucky as I have never really had a problem with any of their updates, Oculus is  the only device I have ever had that forces updates rather than giving the user the choice of whether to update.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

dburne said:

Yeah while I have apparently been very lucky as I have never really had a problem with any of their updates, Oculus is  the only device I have ever had that forces updates rather than giving the user the choice of whether to update.

Actually, SteamVR and Vive (including Cosmos) also do this. There are beta versions that you can decide to go to or not, but once these are out of beta you will auto get them.  So Oculus is not alone it trying to keep everyone on the same playing field.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable

TomCgcmfc said:

dburne said:

Actually, SteamVR and Vive (including Cosmos) also do this. There are beta versions that you can decide to go to or not, but once these are out of beta you will auto get them.  So Oculus is not alone it trying to keep everyone on the same playing field.

Oh yes, obviously you are correct. I rarely use Steam VR or Steam so was not as aware as I am with Oculus. 

jab
Rising Star

TomCgcmfc said:ether to update.

Yeah, but SteamVR has a tendency to get better and fix actual problems (and actually document the fixes in release notes) each new release and not worse.. SteamVR also don't regularly bring back old bugs every 4-6 months, or break support for previous models when adding new ones.

Kareshi
Heroic Explorer

TomCgcmfc said:

dburne said:

You're wrong, you can still download older versions of whatever piece of software you own in Steam, this is a fact and you can just block updates if you want and never update again past the version you chose to stay on. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

TomCgcmfc said:

dburne said:

You're wrong, you can still download older versions of whatever piece of software you own in Steam, this is a fact and you can just block updates if you want and never update again past the version you chose to stay on. 

Not something I’ve seen possible.  Only options to opt out of SteamVR beta and select one or two alternatives.

blazeflre
Honored Guest
my oculus is un usable as it will take a photo of the current pov and stay that way until I unplug it and relpug it again can I get some help?