cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v23 PTC PC Software Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Quick note on release numbering - v22 was an internal only build, so we're jumping to v23!

Oculus Rift S

• We resolved an issue in Oculus Dash where pinned windows would show graphic distortion across the entire pane and not be visible to the user.

Oculus Link

• Increased encode resolution which improves visual quality while running Link.
74 REPLIES 74

Mazda_Ron
Expert Protege

TomCgcmfc said:

So you expect Chat to work at the same time as other Windows tabs/apps are open?  Maybe different chats in different tabs?  Sounds pretty challenging.

No, opening the single chat pop out window from twitch and pinning in the headset, always worked, now because you aren't actively controlling the window and treating it like the only thing you are using, it doesn't even refresh the image of the window, essentially crashes and is useless, it still works in its browser window that you've opened just not in the rift headset.

I'll try play a video in a pinned window tonight, if the video image freezes as soon as I go back to controlling the game then this update has a pretty big issue.

Mazda_Ron
Expert Protege
if devs read here, please looking into the issue with pinned windows, it works amazing in oculus dash, but that's it, as soon as you want to use it ontop of games its broken.

https://youtu.be/zqRBItGKD-Q

please can people try, confirm and post here: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/94833/v23-ptc-pinned-oculus-dash-windows-is-not-working-anymore-in-games/p1?new=1

I have gone back to v21 and I do not have the issue, please people, shout about this as pc updates are very few and far between and it can't be left in a more broken state than it was!

clouds5
Expert Protege
So if i use 250-350Mbps I notice a big reduction in compression artifacts on my Link in fast games like Dirt Rally 2.0. Unfortunately when I use anything above 250mbps I also get stutters in gameplay (fps is stable!). My Link is with a generic USB 3 cable (USB test measures 1.2Gbps). Should be more than enough bandwidth for 350mbps I think? What could be the issue?
I5-10600kf@5Ghz, 16GB DDR3600, RTX 2070

DangerousDanH
Protege
When are we going to get native resolution coming through over link?

clouds5
Expert Protege

clouds5 said:

So if i use 250-350Mbps I notice a big reduction in compression artifacts on my Link in fast games like Dirt Rally 2.0. Unfortunately when I use anything above 250mbps I also get stutters in gameplay (fps is stable!). My Link is with a generic USB 3 cable (USB test measures 1.2Gbps). Should be more than enough bandwidth for 350mbps I think? What could be the issue?

After further testing and a different setup (add-in PCIe USB 3 card) I get 1.8Gbps in USB test. USB bandwidth isn't the issue as I suspected. When you set the Performance HUD in debug tool to "Oculus Link" in the upper left corner you get a encode/xfer/decode graph (blue, green red: what color is what?). I found out that when I set the encode bitrate too high (250+) I get frequent spikes above ~10ms in the blue line (I'm assuming that's encode) and that results in stutter/lost frames that don't show up in other performance graphs. FPS is rocksteady at 72fps and it's not dependant on render performance (tests done with Dirt Rally 2.0 VR on a RTX 2070, 16GB RAM, i7-6700) but the selected bandwidth.

You can actually test it in Oculus Home, just open the Link performance HUD and change the bandwidth in debug tool (needs oculus app v23) it changes in realtime - no restarts required. The 3 graph lines stay very close together up until about 150mbps, then above ~250mbps the latency increases from ~5ms to ~8ms on green and blue, which isn't really an issue, but also, spikes to ~12-16ms are introduced which are very noticable. Especially in fast games like racing (every time notice a stutter, I look up to the HUD and see a spike in the blue line...).

Would be interesting to see if you guys have the same results? Maybe it's just a problem with my setup...? Anyway I'll stick to low bandwidth for now, even though ~300mbps+ looks soooo much better with Dirt Rally 2 🙂 
I5-10600kf@5Ghz, 16GB DDR3600, RTX 2070

WebMetalReese
Protege
umm, when i turn on the PTC it updates to version 21. When I untick it it rolls back to version 21. 
Why am I not downloading PTC version 23?

tanubon
Heroic Explorer
Need decoder update before bitrate!!!

Fangzhou
Adventurer
My Quest 2 cannot connect to my PC via a thunderbolt3 port + official oculus link cable. But no problem with Quest 1. 
The oculus virtual audio device never got mic works unless I set "listen to this device" to the oculus virtual audio device mic then restart my PC. Otherwise the oculus virtual audio device can be selected as a microphone but just no sound. 
The sound streaming with oculus link sometimes broken. 
The resolution is terrible, and not adjustable even with the debug tool.  
Quest 2 cannot get charged when connected with Oculus Link. Battery drains faster than normal gaming, i.e. can only last for around one hour. Same port+same cable+Quest 1 never got the same problem. 

How come oculus software can be so buggy by just changing resolution and refresh rate? 

philneitz
Protege
You onto something with the mic problem.. I made a quick workaround video, without PC restart...

Intel i9 9900K @4,8GHz
32GB DDR4 3700
GIGABYTE Aorus Pro WiFi
RTX 3080
Quest 1 + 2

brunopedroza
Honored Guest
Hi guys! Just got a Quest 2 with a great new cable, been a while since I have used oculus link. Thing is, when I update to PTC v23 my Quest doesn't connect to link, and there is a message from the Oculus Software on PC asking to update the Quest software to a new version - but seems like there isn't a v23 for quest yet right? So how are you guys testing V23 with quest 2, is there any special settings to do?