Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v24 PTC PC Software Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Oculus Community Manager
Oculus Community Manager
Oculus Link

• Fixed numerous black screen issues that could prevent you from being able to use Oculus Link.
  • Fixed an issue where the new graphics settings in the Oculus desktop app weren’t showing for some people.
51 REPLIES 51

TomCgcmfc
Level 16
I've been leaving mine on beta v23 for the last 5 days expecting it to go v23 final (although everything was working fine with my Q1 and Link and my PTC v23 showed up the graphics setting fine).  So, I was pretty surprised to see it update to PTC v24.0.0.22.393 today.  Anyway, I tested a few Oculus, Steam, and independent (X Plane 11) apps with my Q1/Link and all seems to work fine.
9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, Corsair 750w, Quest 1 w/Link and wireless w/VD, Vive Pro.

CactusCowboy
Level 4
Things I wish for:

• Less power consumption when Oculus Software is open but headset is idle or Quest in standby
  • Quest2 Audio and Microphone stays on when Link is enabled but headset in standby
  • Paththrough on Quest while on links should not mute audio and microphone!

All of those are equally important and would improve the experience (and electrical bill) temendously.

TomCgcmfc
Level 16

Things I wish for:

• Less power consumption when Oculus Software is open but headset is idle or Quest in standby
  • Quest2 Audio and Microphone stays on when Link is enabled but headset in standby
  • Paththrough on Quest while on links should not mute audio and microphone!

All of those are equally important and would improve the experience (and electrical bill) temendously.

None seem to effect the Q1 so maybe it just needs a Q2 fix.
9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, Corsair 750w, Quest 1 w/Link and wireless w/VD, Vive Pro.

Mr_John
Level 2
I'm still seeing black screen issues with Link with a Quest 2 - anyone else also having troubles?

rKaiserP
Level 2
please anyone reply and help me i cant use the oculus link because it keeps saying there is a recommended update for the link software and to go to the about section and update but there is no update:((((((((((((((

Reaper0fVR
Level 2
Same issues here... I plug in the link cable and try to enable Oculus Link it just kept crashing saying “Link available in settings”. Seems to try to start Link then crashes. I'm using the official link cable and have v23 on quest 2 right now

Buetigame
Level 4
I'll post this here also, because the problem persist with PTC v24
---
Don't know if this is "by design" or a failure in v23 Desktop-App: static resolution for Link with Quest2!
(the changes in Hz are working flawless, but eye buffer is fixed to 1832x1920)

On wendsday I've received the v23 desktop-app (retail channel)... I've thought, the problem may vanish with it, also existed in v23 PTC. So with the Quest1 everything is fine... resolution change results in a consistant change of the "eye buffer" in the headset (see OVRMetricsTool v1.5.1). Also seen with the great wireless tool VirtualDesktopMobile low/medium/high changes the eye buffer in the HMD and 1:1 in SteamVR. Never seen such a sharp/clean image in SteamVR with the original Quest!

But not so with the Quest 2... OK, VirtualDesktopMobile does the same... with higher resultions compared to Q1 and the additional 60Hz compared to link for Q1/2. Works like a charme, also with 80Hz or 90Hz. But Link doesn't... the eye buffer is fixed to 1832x1920 which itself is nice, because it's the native resolution of the headset. But regardless of what you set in the Desktop App... it stays at that eye buffer and you see only marginal differences. But workload of the graphics card and also latency rising... don't misunderstand: the quality of link is much improved compared to v21 Desktop-App (eye buffer and Link fixed to 1440x1520@72Hz and 2064x2272@72Hz with Quest1), but it could be much better, if you look at the visual results with the original Quest.

On the application side (games etc.), everthing seems right... 
On the headset everything seems right (look at VirtualDesktopMobile or SKYBOX for expl.)...
But Link with Desktop-App v23 does "strange things" with the eye buffer on Quest 2 only!

Thank's in advance!

And sorry for my bad english...
:blush: 

P.S.: also tried all tests with newly installed os, desktop app and factory resetted quest2... with same results.
Just tried the Oculus-App-Version 24.0.0.22.393 (PTC) - same results.

P.P.S.: switching between PTC and retail (v23 to v24 an back) are much faster now... thx@oculus!

nalex66
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Buetigame said:

I'll post this here also, because the problem persist with PTC v24
---
Don't know if this is "by design" or a failure in v23 Desktop-App: static resolution for Link with Quest2!
(the changes in Hz are working flawless, but eye buffer is fixed to 1832x1920)

On wendsday I've received the v23 desktop-app (retail channel)... I've thought, the problem may vanish with it, also existed in v23 PTC. So with the Quest1 everything is fine... resolution change results in a consistant change of the "eye buffer" in the headset (see OVRMetricsTool v1.5.1). Also seen with the great wireless tool VirtualDesktopMobile low/medium/high changes the eye buffer in the HMD and 1:1 in SteamVR. Never seen such a sharp/clean image in SteamVR with the original Quest!

But not so with the Quest 2... OK, VirtualDesktopMobile does the same... with higher resultions compared to Q1 and the additional 60Hz compared to link for Q1/2. Works like a charme, also with 80Hz or 90Hz. But Link doesn't... the eye buffer is fixed to 1832x1920 which itself is nice, because it's the native resolution of the headset. But regardless of what you set in the Desktop App... it stays at that eye buffer and you see only marginal differences. But workload of the graphics card and also latency rising... don't misunderstand: the quality of link is much improved compared to v21 Desktop-App (eye buffer and Link fixed to 1440x1520@72Hz and 2064x2272@72Hz with Quest1), but it could be much better, if you look at the visual results with the original Quest.

On the application side (games etc.), everthing seems right... 
On the headset everything seems right (look at VirtualDesktopMobile or SKYBOX for expl.)...
But Link with Desktop-App v23 does "strange things" with the eye buffer on Quest 2 only!

Thank's in advance!

And sorry for my bad english...
:blush: 

P.S.: also tried all tests with newly installed os, desktop app and factory resetted quest2... with same results.
Just tried the Oculus-App-Version 24.0.0.22.393 (PTC) - same results.

P.P.S.: switching between PTC and retail (v23 to v24 an back) are much faster now... thx@oculus!

I think what's happening there is, you're perhaps seeing the encode resolution after compression being reported as the eyebox size on OVRMetricsTool. The image from the game is rendered at the resolution set in the Devices/Quest 2 panel in the PC app, but then during the encoding process, the peripheral parts of the image are compressed to bring the image size to 3664x1920 (3664 is the default encode resolution width for Quest 2). It seems like they're doing all the barrel distortion and image reduction prior to encoding and sending the image to the headset, so the headset just has to decode and display an image sized for the screen resolution.

You could verify that by changing the encode resolution width in the debug tool and see if that changes the eyebox size that OVRMetricsTool reports.

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, 3x Samsung Evo 1TB | Startech PCIe 4x USB 3.0 | Startech PCIe 2x USB C 3.1 gen2

TomCgcmfc
Level 16
@nalex66  Thanks for your always useful tech knowledge.  I gotta be honest and say that much of this is beyond what I can understand, lol!

All I can do is monitor a few performance graphs using OTT hud options and of course see if I can visually see any differences.  One thing I'd like to know is whether or not the Quest 1 is actually limited to 150mbps bitrate.  I have read that this was the case due to its mobile chip limitations.  However, when I play around with bitrate I seem to notice a nice improvement visually (clearer with fewer artifacts) when I increase it from 150 to 250, and a little better at 350.  It does not seem to effect performance (fps) so for now I've just left it at max = 500mbps.  I'm starting to wonder if the bitrate limitation with Link is more dependent on your GPU (1080ti in my case).  Are there any simple to use tools to actually verify this or not?  Thanks mate.