cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Becareful what you show people!

ParadiseDecay
Rising Star
Had a neighbour pop over to borrow his spare key becuase he left his at work. He's never seen VR before so I thought show him 'TheBlu' and the whale scene.

He put the HMD on and was gasping in amazement, I thought he was in the Oculus Home starting area, he wasn't he was still on the 'look here to start screen' and was freaking out in joy at just seeing his hands in VR.
He entered the Oculus Home but was reluctant to look around at first.

I started up TheBlu and as soon as the intro popped up, he froze in fear, would not move and said it was really freaking him out, and that he needed to take the HMD off.

He then told me that whenever he took the kids to an aquarium, he had to stay out the way as he had a fear of being around or near water. I felt terrible and wished I had ask him what things he liked and disliked first.
He was very reluctant to want to try anything else after that, but I calmed him down and managed to get him to watch 'Henry' and he thought it was absolutely amazing!

He said the next time he comes round he's going to have a glass of wine first!  🙂
☆ YouTube 'Content Creator' and 'Steam Curator' ( https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadiseDecay ) ☆ Devs! I'm always on the look out for new and interesting VR experiences! ☆ Oculus Rift CV1 ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit ☆ Intel Core i7-3770 ☆ 16.0GB Ram ☆ GeForce GTX 1060
25 REPLIES 25

vannagirl
Consultant

Had a neighbour pop over to borrow his spare key becuase he left his at work. He's never seen VR before so I thought show him 'TheBlu' and the whale scene.

He put the HMD on and was gasping in amazement, I thought he was in the Oculus Home starting area, he wasn't he was still on the 'look here to start screen' and was freaking out in joy at just seeing his hands in VR.
He entered the Oculus Home but was reluctant to look around at first.

I started up TheBlu and as soon as the intro popped up, he froze in fear, would not move and said it was really freaking him out, and that he needed to take the HMD off.

He then told me that whenever he took the kids to an aquarium, he had to stay out the way as he had a fear of being around or near water. I felt terrible and wished I had ask him what things he liked and disliked first.
He was very reluctant to want to try anything else after that, but I calmed him down and managed to get him to watch 'Henry' and he thought it was absolutely amazing!

He said the next time he comes round he's going to have a glass of wine first!  🙂

i love this stories, first time users are the best
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

SkipChurch
Sightseer
I have a sort of bathophobia (fear of depths) when it comes to water myself. I probably would have reacted the same way if thrown right into it. As a matter of fact, I will avoid TheBlu. Thanks for the heads-up.  :# 

elboffor
Consultant
We really shpuld always record first time users. Oculus should give us all free go pros and an upload channel to use as advertisements!
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

cybernettr
Superstar
Maybe there's some truth to the claim that VR can help one deal with phobias, but I agree that phobics should ease into it first. It sounds like VR is realistic enough to trigger a true phobic reaction.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Theres a lot of research going into using VR to treat fears and its proving to be really effective! Once hes used to VR and 'feels safe' might be wourth suggesting

elboffor
Consultant
Im scared of dreadhalls
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

DTH
Heroic Explorer
I use a Gear VR and will get my rift system in a week or two.  Is there a big difference in the two as being more into the scene ect...?

ParadiseDecay
Rising Star

DTH said:

I use a Gear VR and will get my rift system in a week or two.  Is there a big difference in the two as being more into the scene ect...?

I think you'll be more impressed with the Rift  😉
☆ YouTube 'Content Creator' and 'Steam Curator' ( https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadiseDecay ) ☆ Devs! I'm always on the look out for new and interesting VR experiences! ☆ Oculus Rift CV1 ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit ☆ Intel Core i7-3770 ☆ 16.0GB Ram ☆ GeForce GTX 1060

DarkTenka
Trustee

elboffor said:

Im scared of dreadhalls

I really like the movement and atmosphere of this game. I just wish it was more of a hack/slash RPG than a run-in-fear from everything kind of game. Scouring the shelves/tables etc for coins is fun and the catacomb maze is really immersive.