cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best things to try on a DK2?

nnhood
Honored Guest
My DK2 arrives tomorrow, just wondered what are the best things to try in it?

I heard Euro Truck Simulator and a flight sim would work. I never did Hawken to work with DK1, maybe it will work now with DK2.

Thanks,

Matt
13 REPLIES 13

Watercycle
Honored Guest
A few demos such as Museum of The Microstar(http://rustltd.com/projects/the-museum-of-the-microstar) and The Chair(https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12158) do a great job of following "good" VR practices, and are definitely worth trying out.

When I saw the DK1 the first time with a friend, they had been demoing a 3rd party implementation of the rift with Minecraft. Needless to say, although Minecraft has a great stereoscopic effect, it broke basically every "good" VR practice. And, as a result, everybody that tried out the rift for more than 5 minutes felt ill. So, try to select games that are actually designed with VR in mind.

Anonymous
Not applicable
i have been having a blast with half life 2. ravenholm is...scary... where as before it was just a minor pain because of the lack of ammo. now its a horror game.

it works great withthe dk2. just put it in extended mode, go into the options and then enable virtual reality mode. you have to restart it but then there is an option on the mainscreen. jsut click start virtual reality mode. and get to the fun.

Vilar
Honored Guest
I've just been blown away by Spacewalk. It is one of the few I've found so far that runs in direct mode on my system. It took me a while to realize how much is there because you move fairly slowly around the space station, but the longer you stay in it the better it gets. Incredible views of earth and the station itself.

JET
Honored Guest
The Chair, Senza Peso, Half Life 2, Vanguard V, CyberSpace, AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome, Buddha Clubotron, Miku Entertainment Sphere Stage, Ocean Rift, Proton Pulse, VisiR.

Dumbest (but still fun): Impossible Breakfast Simulator, GTS.

Biggest Nope? Dreadhalls. Really well done first-person horror. Too well done!

Haven't bought Elite: Dangerous, so I can't comment on it.

JET

solidshadow
Explorer
I like the 180 and 360 degree movies alot using MaxVR_0.7.7 i can say its the best 3d content from a movie i have ever seen. When you enable 3d rendering it makes you feel you can look around persons in the movie.

AnotherCrazyCan
Adventurer
My absolute favorite demo is called "Kira". That was not only the most immerse, but also the most dreamlike. My family was and is still blown away by it.
I also recommend breakfast simulator for something simple, yet fun.
Facebook bought Instagram. How exactly did they ruin them?

pedrw
Expert Protege
I really like "FairyForest". It is a simple but very relaxing game...

ColinB
Adventurer
"nnhood" wrote:
My DK2 arrives tomorrow, just wondered what are the best things to try in it?

I
Matt

Are you a developer?
If so:
I get the utmost enjoyment by using 3dmax to create/build objects, anything either simple or complex and then importing them into Unity and discovering them all over again.
Simply amazing to even walk around a couple of primitive teapots!!
Castles, huts and houses become so real and what an amazi8ng feeling it is to then experiment with lighting and even just to see your mistakes up close !!
Bipeds/bones animations work fine. Importing various animated dinosaurs and other beasts, scaling them to impossible heights or antlike proportions...
Gee, I could go on all day !!

For me it sure beats any gaming experience.. But that's just me!

mabrowning
Honored Guest
"Watercycle" wrote:
A few demos such as Museum of The Microstar(http://rustltd.com/projects/the-museum-of-the-microstar) and The Chair(https://developer.oculusvr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12158) do a great job of following "good" VR practices, and are definitely worth trying out.

When I saw the DK1 the first time with a friend, they had been demoing a 3rd party implementation of the rift with Minecraft. Needless to say, although Minecraft has a great stereoscopic effect, it broke basically every "good" VR practice. And, as a result, everybody that tried out the rift for more than 5 minutes felt ill. So, try to select games that are actually designed with VR in mind.

Hey now, in our defense we were one of the first titles to give the end user more complete control over their experience. We added tons of options that users requested, even though the developers went "Ok.... but..."