cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help to upgrade current PC setup for DK2

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer
I have an older desktop setup which might need an upgrade for the DK2 (ordered day 1 12PM PDT).
What should I upgrade in this desktop config other than a simple memory upgrade to 8GB?

CPU: AMD Phenom II (X4 925)
Motherboard: 890GPA-UD3H
Memory: 2GB DDR3
Video card: MSI Raedon HD7770 (1gb gddr5)
Audio card: Creative soundblaster Audigy2
CPU: Intel i5-4690K Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC
18 REPLIES 18

3dvrmonster
Explorer
You will need a much better graphics card if you plan to run any newer games above 60 FPS.

"Q: What are the minimum requirements and recommended specifications for the Oculus Rift Development Kit 2?

A: Minimum requirements: A computer running a Windows 7 or higher, Mac OS 10.8 or higher, or Ubuntu 12.04 LTS operating system, 2 USB ports (at least one powered), and a DVI-D or HDMI graphics output.

Recommended specifications: A desktop computer running a dedicated graphics card with DVI-D or HDMI graphics output, with capability of running current generation 3D games at 1080p resolution at 75fps or higher."

I currently have a EVGA 660 card with 2 gigs. If the 660 does not run well for what I need I will probably upgrade myself. You may want to go with atleast something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130932&cm_re=760-_-14-130-932-_-Product
Intel Core i7-3820 OC@ 4.7 Ghz (Liquid-cooled) on ASUS Sabertooth X79 mobo 16 GB Quad Channel DDR 3 1600 Mhz with 250 gb SSD GTX 980 working with DK2 to make something great!

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer
Thanks for your response. So, based on your response, I understand that the main addition to my desktop should be a high end graphics card.
Based on this article on toms hardware, http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html the Raedon R9 280X seems to be the best value for money around that price range.
CPU: Intel i5-4690K Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC

3dvrmonster
Explorer
Sorry I am an Nvidia fanboy, and catalyst drivers have given me troubles in the past, so I cant comment on ATI. j/k that card looks sick! If you look at it in terms of money though, where as you get what you pay for, $250 should be a starting point for graphics. That would be entry level for VR I would think. I am not saying what you have will not do VR though. Just dont expect to play anything with alot of textures, or high polygon count for that matter. It is imperative to stay above 60 FPS with the Rift, so you will need the power. Speaking of power you might wanna check you have enough amps on your 12 volt rail to carry the current for a new card... thats another hundred bucks. I should know mine just crapped out last week! :evil:
Intel Core i7-3820 OC@ 4.7 Ghz (Liquid-cooled) on ASUS Sabertooth X79 mobo 16 GB Quad Channel DDR 3 1600 Mhz with 250 gb SSD GTX 980 working with DK2 to make something great!

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer
The PSU I now have is rated at 500Watts.
I probably have to purchase a larger capacity UPS for this setup.

Since my room is considerably hotter than the rest of the house, I guess, I need to figure out a video card that is power efficient. I am told that NVIDIA cards consume lower power (run cooler) than Raedons. Is it true?

3dvrmonster
Explorer
If heat is a problem http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-h55-quiet-cpu-cooler or http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-h60-high-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler. Fairly easy to install will help cool everything down... quieter as well.

Nvidia uses less power generally speaking, probably 10% less. Heat is about the same for same range cards, and of course overclocked = higher temps. I think a 760 requires a 500 watt PSU. If you have alot of hard drives or other componets you may tap out the power supple resulting in crashes, and possibly burning the psu up. The amount of amps on your 12 volt rail is important with the graphics card, because it pulls alot of amps. Will it work... yes, but when you push it to the max you are risking the integrity of your system.

500 watt or greater power supply with a minimum of 30 amps on the +12 volt rail.

JonathanVB
Honored Guest
You might want to wait and see what the nVIDIA 800 series has to offer, though they'll probably be expensive immediately after launch. They're supposed to be way more power efficient.

Watercycle
Honored Guest
A few months ago I sold my two radeon HDs and AMD 1090T processor for 80% of their purchase price since they were only about two years old. These are the replacements I found best suited to my budget and performance expectations for the next 2 or 3 years (including usage with the DK2):

AMD fx-8350 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284
and
NVIDIA geforce gtx 760 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130932

So, based on experienced driven bias, avoid Intel CPUs because they are expensive, and avoid AMD GPUs because their software has been performing very poorly. AMD GPU benchmarks are amazing, but I and all I have recommended their GPUs to, have been dissatisfied in some respect (e.g. texture glitches and driver crashing). Also, do not bother waiting for the "next gen," their will always be something that outperforms what you purchase. Just be ready to spend a weekend selling the old and upgrading to the new 😄

cybereality
Grand Champion
AMD GPUs are fine, and mostly get a bad rap. However Nvidia seems to be more solid overall.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

twisteklabs
Heroic Explorer
Does this mean, GTX 770 is a cooler running card with a similar performance as R9 280X ?