cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

any "travel simulation" programs?

Shikibara
Honored Guest
So, I was talking to my cousin who works at an old folks community, and I told her about VR and how I saw a program where the user can walk through a Villa or something like that. I went into telling her how there might be demos and such out there that basically lets the user explore other places, scenic and beautiful, other countries, etc... and she said how some of the residents would love that, as they may never get the chance to travel

she's going to talk to her boss(?) about potentially looking into letting me build a computer fir them and get an Oculus Rift. So do y'all know of any good demos and such that let the user see beautiful sights, explore, etc? I'm sure they'd love it if it can be done!

Thanks!
Shiki
4 REPLIES 4

Shikibara
Honored Guest
bump~ still lookin round for an answer

kspyy
Honored Guest
There's a pretty cool demo called 360 Time Travelers I thought was pretty cool, it's not long and there's only 2 places you can go in this one (china and egypt), pretty looking nonetheless

https://share.oculus.com/app/360-time-t ... ---samurai

Euro truck simulator 2 (steam )- Have to pay for this to get it working with the oculus, but as others have mentioned- it's quite calming and peaceful to drive a truck around different countries in Europe.

kon Tiki (floating in the ocean on a small raft)

http://stv.re/kon-tiki/

Other ones I haven't tried but look interesting would be

flying in dreams

http://stv.re/flying-in-dreams/

These are just a few that I've tried and I'll let ya know if I come across other ones that might be fun and exploratory. to my knowledge there's not any huge large scale simulation / travel games yet. I guess the best thing to do would just be poke around on some of these sites that have collections of games and see if you can't find something more suited

Morbid_Intent
Honored Guest
If you look into the Koloreyes program there are a few real life videos mp4 shot in 360' that would be perfect for them! you just have to scour the net - so far i have found

- one where you visit japan and the streets + a mall
- another where you are canoing down a river in canada
- thirdly one shot off a boat in an amsterdam waterway all realtime.

I too wish for more like these and keep scouring the net as most people i live around/family etc i wish to show are between 50-80 yrs old and are extremely skeptical on touching anything but slow, scenic things like these and the villa.

***btw - not sure airdrift is good - its fast paced high flying through mountains with lots of being upside down / just like the rollercoaster rides might give them some issues.

Shikibara
Honored Guest
Thank you both for your suggestions, I am still waiting on my cousin to get a reply from her boss on if this would be something they are interested in offering the residents, but if my idea is good to go, I will check these out and use them for sure! I'm hoping there is some support for Dear Esther for the Oculus, and maybe other walking simulators like it.