cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any recommendations for a curved 34" widescreen monitor? (seriously, I'm not the spam guy)

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
I've been using a 32" as my primary monitor and used to have a 27" as a secondary.  The secondary died, so now I'm thinking a 34" widescreen with a slight curve would be perfect for my setup.  Essentially I want the vertical dimensions of the two monitors to be pretty much identical with the curved one being wider (of course).  

I don't play many FPS games anymore so it's more for games like Diablo or whatever killer MMO comes next.  I'm pretty sensitive to screen tearing so I'd love a low refresh.  I'm also very picky with image and colour quality, so I'm willing to pay a decent amount if it gets me a great product.  
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Roming22
Adventurer
I have a 34" widescreen curved monitor (DELL), and would not recommend the 21:9 format. I bought it at a time when GPU could barely run 4K, so it was a way to increase HFOV compared to a 16:9 monitor, but in practice it is not a very comfortable format, even for gaming.

If it died, I would just buy a large 4K screen, just as wide as my current screen.

View solution in original post

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Zoomie said:

It drives me nuts.  No enthusiast actually WANTS integrated speakers.  They just add cost, weight, and size to the monitor and no one in that price bracket will actually use them.

I occasionally use my monitor speakers if I just want to hear a YouTube video but can't be bothered to turn on my 5.1 speakers. Two clicks and I have audio without reaching for the speaker power button. Yeah, I'm lazy, so what?

I considered a 34" curved ultra-wide monitor last year. In the end, I didn't like the reduced vertical dimension, and I figured it would be more trouble than it was worth with some games not supporting the format, so I went for a nice 32" 1440p (16:9) instead. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Just use BigScreen or Virtual Desktop... you can have an Imax sized virtual screen that is curved to your liking. Sitting in a theater room or hovering in outer space.

WTF is all this primary and secondary monitors measured in inches talk? That is sooo 1st Quarter 2016 😉

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
Um, I'm asking for a friend?  🙂
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

cybereality
Grand Champion
I haven't tried any of those new ultra-wide/curved monitors yet, but this one looks good.
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-x34-series
It's G-Sync so you want an Nvidia card. If you have AMD there should be a Free-Sync alternative.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Syrellaris
Rising Star
not 34 inches but the samsung C24FG70 (23.5 inches) and C27FG70 (27 inches) inch curved 144 hz gaming monitors aint at all bad. They have excellent colors and a 1ms refresh rate. VA panel as well.

and with 144 hz or higher, you don't need gsync or Freesync 🙂

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
@cybereality, the Predator looks good, except for the fact it has integrated speakers.
Find me a consumer who is looking for a high end 34' curved display but who doesn't have an external surround system.  It's like when they used to sell 50' rear projection TV's with integrated 20W speakers.  Like anyone was going to dish out $4000 for a TV and not spend at least a few hundred on decent sound.

Syrellaris
Rising Star

Zoomie said:

@cybereality, the Predator looks good, except for the fact it has integrated speakers.
Find me a consumer who is looking for a high end 34' curved display but who doesn't have an external surround system.  It's like when they used to sell 50' rear projection TV's with integrated 20W speakers.  Like anyone was going to dish out $4000 for a TV and not spend at least a few hundred on decent sound.

Yeah, most gaming brands have intergrated speakers, you don't have to use them though.

You only really have 3-4 choices at that size for gaming and they all have intergrated Speakers.

Those choices are the Asus ROG Swift PG348Q and Acer predator X34A.
and, if you want slightly lesser quality you can go with the LG 34UC79G.

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
It drives me nuts.  No enthusiast actually WANTS integrated speakers.  They just add cost, weight, and size to the monitor and no one in that price bracket will actually use them.

Syrellaris
Rising Star
Speakers in monitors cost nearly nothing and weigh less then 200 grams together lol. And the Speakers do have a usefulness. Considering these monitors generally have more then 1 HDMI connection, so you can add multiple devices to it. Devices which, you might not have connected to a sound system or your pc speakers. Removing them, does literally nothing for the price or the weight so yeah, better to just include them.

Roming22
Adventurer
I have a 34" widescreen curved monitor (DELL), and would not recommend the 21:9 format. I bought it at a time when GPU could barely run 4K, so it was a way to increase HFOV compared to a 16:9 monitor, but in practice it is not a very comfortable format, even for gaming.

If it died, I would just buy a large 4K screen, just as wide as my current screen.