cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else notice how the Quests can see through thin plastic?

POLYBlUS
Honored Guest
I found out while being in passthrough on my friends Oculus Quest. Its really cool to see how the controllers are built let alone my remotes around the house. Good for finding issues in Xbox Controllers if you have an internal break.
10 REPLIES 10

wuzp
Rising Star
It is because the cameras "see" into the IR spectrum; in order to detect the controllers.  First thing I did was use this new "feature" to check how much was left in my (black opaque) bottle of Hennessy Black.
😄

FlyingHeroVR
Explorer
As long as they don't disable it now like Oneplus did with their monochrome sensor...

wuzp
Rising Star
If hand tracking becomes a more reliable "thing," they might.

POLYBlUS
Honored Guest
That's insane, its such a cool little detail to show others. I swear, I could be entertained by this thing and not even have to download a single game.

wuzp
Rising Star
Play "guess how much wine is left" in the carton 😄

kojack
MVP
MVP
Technically the cameras are visible and IR spectrums, unlike the Rift CV1 cameras which are pure IR. The Quest/Rift-S need the visible spectrum too because indoor lighting gives off nearly zero IR, room tracking would fail. So they have a wider spectrum that covers IR and visible.

As long as they don't disable it now like Oneplus did with their monochrome sensor...

They can't disable IR on the existing Quest cameras, that requires installing a piece of IR filtering glass behind each lens (and that would stop touch controllers from working). It can't be ignored in software since it's just a monochrone signal (no distinction between IR and visible components). They can't turn the cameras off either since then there would be no tracking of the headset, controllers or hands.
The Oneplus could disable it because the IR camera was separate to the colour cameras, turn off the IR and the other 3 (normal, wide and telephoto) cameras still work like normal. On the Quest, all 4 cameras have IR.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Now, only if it could see through some clothes.... :3

wuzp
Rising Star

Mradr said:

Now, only if it could see through some clothes.... :3

If the ambient temperature was lower than the subject's body heat, and the clothing was slightly sheer...

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Wow the early teen ager me would have been investigating this very closely.  
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂