cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atari's first VR Game: Rollercoaster Tycoon (PSVR)

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
if you’re familiar with Atari, then chances are you’ve played one of their Rollercoaster Tycoon games before. These make up the largest part of their bread and butter after all. Which is why, even though the company’s foray into VR was unexpected, it comes as no surprise that Atari’s first VR game will be another Rollercoaster Tycoon installment in the theme park management series called Rollercoaster Tycoon Joyride.

Apparently, this PS4 exclusive will be released with an “enhanced for PSVR” option besides it’s normal flat screen gameplay. We’re not sure yet if that means the entire game or just a smaller side-mode but more should be revealed at GDC 2018 next week. Either way, it would be awesome to be able to ride your own roller coasters in VR so we’re really hoping that will be an option.

http://vrthegamers.com/atari-announced-first-vr-game-rollercoaster-tycoon-joyride#.WqfbrYJG3BI

Even if it is a PSVR Exclusive, I'm happy to see Atari jumping in to Virtual Reality. Maybe now that can fix that E.T. that was famously bad:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.T._the_Extra-Terrestrial_(video_game)

11 REPLIES 11

bigmike20vt
Visionary
that would be cool in VR!.  a bunch of us practically begged to get Frontier Developments to put VR into planet coaster sadly they said it was not worth the effort to get the framerate up enough for vr. 😞

coasters in VR are great...... anyone with any doubt try the demo of no limits 2 on steam.

incidently that aside. i thought Frontier Developments bought the rights to rollercoaster tycoon
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I played Rollercoaster Tycoon back in the day! I agree that this could be a great VR experience, especially considering how many Rollercoaster VR games that exist today that are not very well done. I've bought a few because I'm a fan of rollercoasters, but I've disliked every single one so far.

Hopefully Atari can help do this right.

LZoltowski
Champion
I wish Planet Coster had a VR mode so I could walk around my park and ride the rides I designed. UGH! It's the most amazing Theme Park/Coaster designer ever made. Has a huge community, I must have built 20 parks now .. fireworks, lighting, scriptable events.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4boltLXFnDQ
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Honestly - I never got very far in any of the Tycoon games including Rollercoaster Tycoon. But watching that trailer - I would love a VR mode for that game especially if you could visit other peoples Theme Parks. It is a perfect setting for VR - and the management / design element could feed a great amount of VR gameplay.

My brother loved Rollercoaster Tycoon back in the day - I bet he would dig Planet Coaster.

LZoltowski
Champion

Honestly - I never got very far in any of the Tycoon games including Rollercoaster Tycoon. But watching that trailer - I would love a VR mode for that game especially if you could visit other peoples Theme Parks. It is a perfect setting for VR - and the management / design element could feed a great amount of VR gameplay.

My brother loved Rollercoaster Tycoon back in the day - I bet he would dig Planet Coaster.

Yeah, planet coaster has full steam workshop integration, parks, coaster design et, there are thousands of them. The things that some people build are just mind-boggling.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=amazing+planet+coaster+park

I love going into peoples parks and explore them, many are meticulous recreations of real-world locations, some are just magical fantasy settings, if I were able to explore them in VR i would never leave 🙂
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion
Sorry @Zenbane didn't mean to go off topic 🙂

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oh by all means, digress away!

Anonymous
Not applicable
How cool would it be to have multiplayer virtual Theme Parks you could visit, playing all the different games and experiencing all the rides. It seems like the perfect vehicle for VR - and an easy way to go on a roller coaster without having a sore neck or wanting to throw up afterwards.

I kind of wish that this wasn't a PS4VR exclusive - because even though I have a PS4 I doubt I will ever by VR for it, especially now that I have a Rift. I really hope something like it comes out for the Rift - something where hopefully I don't have to the hard management part of the game and can just enjoy the crazy rides and park.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
eventually it will come..... maybe not in the above game but like you say it is too much of a no brainer for it NOT to happen.

not done much looking into it but a mate of mine was telling me there is a MP mod for no limits 2.  just how fleshed out it is or exactly what features it has i am not sure. i just have the free demo

http://store.steampowered.com/app/301320/NoLimits_2_Roller_Coaster_Simulation/

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂