Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class Action Against Oculus and Facebook

XMadMarkX
Honored Guest

Now that the new owners of Oculus have monopolized anything to do with
the social side of the Oculus system and basically ended about 50% of the
reason people bought the product in the first place. (being able to join and play with friend)

I believe and some legal advisers have stated because no alternative was
put in place for those who will not be forced to make a Facebook account and
because when the produced was purchased no mention of this was conveyed to the
purchaser. The product as a result is now less than the product that was
originally purchased and a refund on not only the product but also any software
that is also impacted by way of not being able to join, find or engage with
friends.

This class action law suit if supported by enough purchasers of one of
the Oculus systems will send a strong message to manufactures that monopolizing
products after selling will be a costly exercise.

A simple fix to this would be to reinstate the original system and
provide a Facebook alternative for those that choose it.

This message will be posted in as many forums as possible to garner support and further information about the class action will be updated later including how to join the class action. 
24 REPLIES 24

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Frankly, I don’t think a case like that would have any chance of success. They haven’t prevented you from joining or finding friends, they’ve implemented an additional (free) account requirement. You already had to use an Oculus account, now you additionally need a Facebook account. The Facebook account doesn’t impose any undue burden on you, because it has no cost, and does not require any more information than you already provided in setting up an Oculus account. 

You or I may not like having to connect or create a Facebook account, and the additional requirement does seem pointless, but at the end of the day it really makes no material difference. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

XMadMarkX
Honored Guest
Frankly I don't know that a case like this would fail to be successful at all considering that this sought of behavior is illegal in several counties including a number in the European Union. I have direct knowledge of six individuals within EU member states that are already getting information together to mount legal challenges. I'm hoping their are willing to join the class action currently gathering.

I have also today email Mark Zuckerberg personally with more information and also links to this forum post, hopefully we can avert any action being necessary.
My suggestion to you is to moderate and not involve yourself in legal maters you appear to have little to no understanding of. 

Protocol7
Heroic Explorer
You can still use SteamVR to play with your friends, but you will have to buy games on Steam of course.

RattyUK
Trustee
Wow!  Bring a lawsuit because a hardware manufacturer bases their social interactions over their own platform...  Thanks, I don't think I'll sign up, I prefer meeting friends on a mutually agreed mediumk so kindly continue without my support.
...good luck 😉
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Is anything stopping someone from building a social app with it's own internal friends list that doesn't use Facebook? I'm pretty sure the answer is no but I haven't tested it.

kojack
MVP
MVP

Is anything stopping someone from building a social app with it's own internal friends list that doesn't use Facebook? I'm pretty sure the answer is no but I haven't tested it.

That can definitely be done.
There's two things that make it less likely though:
- It's much easier to use the existing platform and avatar sdks that handle all this for the devs, and facebook are doing the back end server hosting.
- It's very unlikely other games will share the same system, so you get lots of one-offs with different features.

Now if Unity or Unreal added a default social system that they hosted... that would let games share friends and social stuff not only without a facebook login, but also between all VR (and non VR) platforms.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

A note to @XMadMarkX, moderators are allowed to express an opinion on any subject, even if you don't like that opinion.

Not being able to do so would make the forum less than it was when we signed up to it and we'd have to start a class action. Or something.

RattyUK
Trustee

A note to @XMadMarkX, moderators are allowed to express an opinion on any subject, even if you don't like that opinion.

Not being able to do so would make the forum less than it was when we signed up to it and we'd have to start a class action. Or something.

I'm fine with you moderating lot being able to express an opinion...

Providing, naturally, it coincides with my own >:)

PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

RattyUK said:

I'm fine with you moderating lot being able to express an opinion...

Providing, naturally, it coincides with my own >:)

I always check your opinion before typing anything!