Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Congrats SpaceX

zboson
Superstar
Amazing launch yesterday
http://www.spacex.com/webcast

https://youtu.be/aBr2kKAHN6M

I want a VR360 or VR180 video of Starman (it certainly would be great promotional material for the Oculus Go).  Did they film with stereo cameras?

cpyure33ehrz.jpg

The for me one of the greatest moments in history was Apollo 8 when humans went beyond low earth orbit and went around the moon in 1968.
https://youtu.be/eqQdP5328FY

No human or animal has gone beyond low earth orbit since 1972.  I think a lot of the technology was built using analog computers using e.g. the slide rule (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slide_rule).
40 REPLIES 40

zboson
Superstar

LZoltowski
Champion

zboson said:

A few years back NASA was testing an EmDrive .. based on some funky physics .. I wonder what happened to that research.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion

zboson said:

Didn't the movie Deep Impact feature an Orion based design? I vaguely remember nuclear propulsion being touted.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

On a holiday to America when I was 13, I got this model rocketry set... this exact one:

rgwzbsfr1v0q.jpg

There wasn't anything like it in the UK at the time, for anyone who hasn't seen these things, you build a rocket, put in a single-use engine & igniter with a wire to a battery powered hand control. Put the thing on the included launch pad an up it goes, the engine includes a final reverse jet that pushes the rocket's cone off which attaches to a parachute. Best toy I ever had (until the Rift came along).

Thinking back, it was probably against airline policy to bring back explosive rocket engines in the luggage hold.

LZoltowski
Champion

Thinking back, it was probably against airline policy to bring back explosive rocket engines in the luggage hold.

Those were simpler times .. 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Those were simpler times .. 

It was a DC10 so they already had some reliability issues... I feel I should say sorry to my fellow passengers though. Also brought back a toy flintlock pistol which fired a cork ball using explosive caps, that was in my hand luggage.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'd like to know why NASA keeps talking about trying to build spaceships that can go beyond low earth orbit. We already went to the Moon in a spaceship, which is beyond low earth orbit, so just copy that spaceship..

vannagirl
Consultant

zboson said:

I think Carl Sagan would argue that a much better use of money would be not to build rockets to send humans into space in the first place. 

He so sadly died before my time but i am so in love with what Carl Sagan set out to do.

I literally watch an episode of Cosmos every 5am morning before i set out for my day
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

vannagirl said:

zboson said:

I think Carl Sagan would argue that a much better use of money would be not to build rockets to send humans into space in the first place. 

He so sadly died before my time but i am so in love with what Carl Sagan set out to do.

I literally watch an episode of Cosmos every 5am morning before i set out for my day

I must have watched The Lives of the Stars episode a hundred times, the description of a googolplex, the section on the elements and how the mass of a star dictates it's final outcome

A taster of the show... "how many consecutive cuts of an apple pie do you need to make before you arrive at a single atom?" .....ah, I was transfixed when that show first aired.

(the answer's 90 btw)

LZoltowski
Champion
Just to open up the topic of VR in here.

I would love an entire series made in VR based on Cosmos.. not 3d video but actual 3d graphics ... we have the technology .. 

Be kind to one another 🙂