cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook Security Breach: Up to 50 million Users Affcted

Facebook has said “almost 50 million” of its users were left exposed by a security flaw.

The company said attackers were able to exploit a vulnerability in a feature known as “View As” to gain control of people's accounts.

The breach was discovered on Tuesday, Facebook said, and it has informed police.

Users that had potentially been affected were prompted to re-log-in on Friday.

The flaw has been fixed, wrote the firm’s head of security, Guy Rosen.

"Since we’ve only just started our investigation, we have yet to determine whether these accounts were misused or any information accessed. We also don’t know who’s behind these attacks or where they’re based. “

He added: "People’s privacy and security is incredibly important, and we’re sorry this happened."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45686890

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3
16 REPLIES 16

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Yeah just saw this on Sky, oops......bet thats all they need right now!!!
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Although I'm not overly bothered by this particular episode. I am generally very disappointed with the news that 72% of large businesses have experienced a data breach in the last 12 months. I mean really?

I'm not so concerned for myself but I feel for people who aren't completely aware of what goes on. Everybody has to rely in the internet these days to a greater or lesser degree and there are a lot of vulnerable people out there who can suffer from scum, I mean scammers, getting hold of their email address for example.

Incidentally, I had an email just this week asking for $4800 to be paid in Bitcoin to avoid having my wife and all her friends contacted and informed of my 'secret', the email included my login details from something… I recognised the login ID but can't for the life of me remember what company it would have been for.

Anyway, they're clearly harvesting whatever details they can find to convince people they know something about you. How many people get worried by this... or do have some secret they want kept from their misses and get taken in?

It's not helped by this apparent inability that companies have to secure their data.

(If I had a wife, I would have had a laugh about that email with her!)

Yeah, online fraud can be just as devastating as being mugged in the street and should be treated as seriously by the authorities.

Stryker1000
Heroic Explorer
pro tip !! stop fkn using social media apps !!!! nuff said !

pro tip !! stop fkn using social media apps !!!! nuff said !

That's the thing, I don't use social media, these data breaches are everywhere... 72% of all large companies breached in the last 12 months, you can't order anything these days without passing on your email address, home address, inside leg measurement*, Shops, mobile phone companies, broadband companies, subscriptions.... you name it, social media has its own set of problems but your digital self is spread all over the place.

*for ordering trousers that is

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's those damned Ruskies again!!! lol

Probably means I'm going to have to change my password from 'password'. Time for something more difficult to crack. Ummmm...password1234. Sorted.

One of the companies I used to work for 20 years or so ago had 1234 as their alarm code. And I'm not joking.  😮

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wonder if they changed it after they sacked me, I know they changed the computer passwords lol. I was tempted to hack them but couldn't be bothered in the end lmfao 😄

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Yup, I ordered a new SSD on NewEgg last month, then heard a week later that a hacker group had managed to install skimming software on their payment processing page to steal all credit card details for a whole month. Nowhere is safe anymore.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo