cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honestly i did not think my contempt for Valves curation could get any worse

bigmike20vt
Visionary
but no...... Silly me for thinking it could not get worse.  Soon it will be official. ANY old crap really will make it on to the store.  Those indie devs who make those little gems are going to get even more swamped with rubbish than they do now......

come on valve.. .Get your shit together!. 
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂
19 REPLIES 19

This was on the BBC news too. I really think the decision is about money much more than freedom of developers. Having no restriction other than Valve's idea of 'trolling' just translates to maximising profits.

If game certification was more forcibly controlled and enforced I might not be that bothered but some parents just let their kids do whatever they want on the computer, play whatever games... and service providers all too often seem to be complicit, when their profits are involved.

The result though may end up being harmful to the games industry as it just feeds the idea that there's too much violence, sex or drug references with not enough controls in place.

Then there's the general lowering of quality in general. I used to use the upcoming section of the Steam store as my default source of info on forthcoming AAA titles. Ah the good old days!

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
I prefer Valve's approach. Let everything in and allow consumers to vote with their wallet, way better approach than what Oculus is trying to do. Hell, I still have that $15 credit cause there isn't a single game offered here that interests me that I don't already have. And I've only bought 3 games here. 😕

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
and this after the recent school shooting game ban?

Please do not read further if you are easily offended

He's right about the white supremacist groups, though. I once had to complain, when I, gobsmacked, came across a guy's profile in German. His nickname was "JewGasser" (in German). Can you believe it? How on earth can such a thing be permitted? It wasn't even a new profile, either. I reported it, but I never heard anything back from Valve.

I've not seen this character since, but that doesn't mean he isn't there. If you go to friends search and enter "Juden" which is German for "Jew", you will find about 1,500 returns. Most of the ones to start with are from people who are obviously Jewish themselves - but you soon get to the detritus, after a couple of pages.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

iJudgement
Heroic Explorer
They just want to be able to have hentai games.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
imagine i was going to go to sainsburys to do my weekly shop. i want to be in and out in a fairly reasonable time. I want a can of beans.  imagine if there were 150 varieties of them, 95% of them were frankly disgusting.

chances are I would just pick a brand i know and play it safe... even if this meant some new start up bean company had come up with something fairly decent, so ultimately the decent one would get ignored.

of course i could buy them all, try them and demand refunds on all the rubbish... but that takes a lot of time.  Personally i like the idea of sainsburys doing some filtering and only selling stuff of a minimal quality.   of course i could STILL go off piste by looking at the tiny little markets (aka buying directly from an indies website) but if i am going to a superstore it is precisely BECAUSE i cant be bothered and want some of the hassle removed.

it would of course help if review scores could be relied upon but given companies pay people to make sock puppet accounts and falsely bump up scores, you cant trust that either.

imo it is part of a store fronts job to have a basic standard of quality... (this is NOT the same as censorship, I have no issue with adult content so long as it is clearly marketed.... so do not let my rant pass as me saying i agree with the new oculus store front rules either).

Finally are you saying iTunes has no vetting at all? So I could copy someone's song without permission and sell on iTunes?
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Atmos73 said:

Do you know how many songs get released a year? Anyone can release any old trash either on iTunes or YouTube it’s a free world. No ones forcing anyone to listen to them. Some people love Steps I can’t stand Steps but do I care? No. It’s down to us to work out what’s good and what’s bad. What Valve are saying is people should be left to make their own way sitting out the chaff to find the wheat. 

@bigmike20vt  - All bean are disgusting given they make you fart like crazy. I could walk a mile and fart on every step after a tin of beans..

@ Atoms73 -  Everyone likes Steps don't they? This is my fav song by Steps..

Video deleted..

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Pabbert said:

Posting a Steps video is the most vile form of ear hatred imaginable.

BAN HIM!

I've deleted it to save your ears from the horror..

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee

I prefer Valve's approach. Let everything in and allow consumers to vote with their wallet, way better approach than what Oculus is trying to do. Hell, I still have that $15 credit cause there isn't a single game offered here that interests me that I don't already have. And I've only bought 3 games here. 😕

3 games? Are you been serious? Are you even a gamer? Why did you buy your Rift? lol

I have 23 games installed from Oculus store that I play on a regular bases. What are your 3 games? I could recommend loads to you, even free ones too.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Allowing the community to filter the content doesn't result in the content being filtered I'm afraid... when the internet gives people privacy they sometimes (I was going to say often but I'll be generous) become assholes, dare I say we see it on this forum from time to time. The mature people will filter it but does that mean the assholes shouldn't be steered towards mature behaviour? Same argument would apply to having moderators here or not.

Edit: I should just say I'm talking about the nasty stuff there rather than the rubbish stuff. The rubbish stuff just has a tendency to set the bar lower & lower over time, so doesn't need moderation but just poses the question, would TOWIE have made it to TV if there'd been a little more quality control.

I think @iJudgement has a point about the Hentai stuff, it's a huge huge revenue stream.