cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Just Played A VR Game With My Mind And It Was AWESOME! - NexMind Brain Control Interface Review

vrgamerdude
Heroic Explorer

https://youtu.be/qFXfiSHXGew

Over the past 6 years I have reviewed a lot of strange and interesting VR tech on this channel but I have to say the NextMind brain control interface is for sure one of the coolest things I have tried in a long time! I have always been fascinated by the idea of BCI's and I was very excited to have recently received a dev kit from the team over at NextMind to review... I sincerely want to thank them for sending this over because it has truly opened my eyes to the possibilities of what a device like this can bring to not only Virtual Reality apps and games, but also a host of other use cases such as aiding people with mobility issues or just plain letting me be lazy and not having to find the remote buried in my couch cushions when I want to change channels on the TV.

So what exactly does this piece of Sci-Fi like tech actually do? Well from what I understand, it relies on the users visual cortex in which the sensor pulls electrical signals from and then translate them into in game/app actions after focusing on specific neuro tags that are placed throughout the experience. There has been a lot of debate as to whether this could be truly considered mind control since I am not just thinking what I want the system to do, but having to look at and focus on an object to make the magic happen. One argument is that this is similar to traditional eye tracking but IDK.. I have never had an eye tracker make me feel like I was Professor X!

I can totally see a future where this tech is built directly into VR headsets so I encourage developers who might be interested to check it out at the link below... For consumers as I said in the outro of this video I will not recommend purchasing one of these at this time because quite frankly unless you are planning to learn how to develop with it there isn't much more than what you saw in the video that you could currently do with the device so lest just say this is in the DK1 stage and its gonna be a while before we all get a turn playing with one but when the time comes and I feel it will sooner than later it's gonna be awesome!

If you would like to learn more about or place an order for a NextMind Developer kit you can do so from the link below:
https://www.next-mind.com/

"I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and it is the headlamp of the oncoming virtual hype train!"
2 REPLIES 2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

That's rather amazing! Hard to believe that we're in 2021 and already able to play games with our minds using the Oculus Quest!

I like how the software truly requires that you maintain focus (brain) as opposed to just looking at something (eye tracking). I can't wait until this is ready for mass consumption, and gets incorporated in to more mainstream VR Titles.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star

sounds fun. heh