cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm banned from Facebook so what do I do?

Scaramoosh
Protege
So any purchases I've made vanish? I cannot use Oculus ever again? Cause whenever I try to make a second account they somehow know it's me and stop it. Why can't we just have the account system that works fine as it is? Facebook, Twitter... all these social media services are far left politic propaganda sites. If you do not agree with their position you get banned, this is what worries me about this move and it effectively shuts me out of the platform. Why can't Oculus continue to just be a VR only platform? No politics. 
76 REPLIES 76

nalex66
MVP
MVP
If you aren’t interested in social features, and already have an Oculus account and a device, you can carry on without a Facebook account until 2023. After that, you can live with the limited functionality of your old Oculus device, move on to a competitor’s headset, or try to resolve your problem with Facebook and get back to having a working account.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable

nalex66 said:

If you aren’t interested in social features, and already have an Oculus account and a device, you can carry on without a Facebook account until 2023. After that, you can live with the limited functionality of your old Oculus device, move on to a competitor’s headset, or try to resolve your problem with Facebook and get back to having a working account.

That is the most clunk out answer....  as in its correct - just doesn't seem fair.

Unfortunately there isn't anything we can do to help here. As Nalex said - you will either have to figure out how to work with FB or move onto something else. I agree they really need to think about this move... but I am sure they are not going to change their minds.

Archybald
Explorer
We got your money, please just go away now, seriously I am waitng for Mistsibushi to call me and say 'We just noticed you do not have a facebook account, you can continue driving until 2023 after that you wither sign up or your truck will have limited functionality'

This is nothing more than bullying, it is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen a company do.

but that is just my view/opinion.

I wont spend another penny with Oculus, 2023 it is in the bin. 

Luciferous
Consultant

I think the simple reason is the up and coming Horizon release.  It is clear like 'Ready Player One', Horizons will merge social and gaming into one. 

They will be able to advertise things while you are walking down virtual roads, sell you virtual chairs and clothes and offer gaming all in on place. Basically world domination like a VR Amazon.

wuzp
Rising Star

I think the simple reason is the up and coming Horizon release.  It is clear like 'Ready Player One', Horizons will merge social and gaming into one. 

They will be able to advertise things while you are walking down virtual roads, sell you virtual chairs and clothes and offer gaming all in on place. Basically world domination like a VR Amazon.

Glad to see I'm not the only crazy person who can see parallels to Ready Player One.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

wuzp said:

Glad to see I'm not the only crazy person who can see parallels to Ready Player One.

The observations were made back in 2014 what Oculus execs gave new employees copies of the book when they joined! It was one of the reasons the founders "guaranteed" that they would never let that happen and would not need ID log in, and were called naïve by those with more real-world experience!

Its a shame, but shouting "we f'ing told you so" does not even touch the level of duplicity that some have employed in defending this process of assimilation!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Mradr said:

nalex66 said:

That is the most clunk out answer....  as in its correct - just doesn't seem fair.

Unfortunately there isn't anything we can do to help here. As Nalex said - you will either have to figure out how to work with FB or move onto something else. I agree they really need to think about this move... but I am sure they are not going to change their minds.

Perhaps Oculus Support will have some way to help resolve Facebook ban issues. Maybe they need to implement some sort of limited Facebook account that still served as identity verification for VR despite being banned from social media. On the other hand, if Facebook thinks someone's behaviour was so atrocious that a ban was justified, they may decide that they don't want that person in their VR metaverse either.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

jab
Rising Star
This is a big part of the problem with forcing FB accounts.
FB is a 'free' social web service, so it is within their rights to ban someone from using that.
But your Oculus VR headset is not a free social web service, it a full blown commercial hardware and software product that the customer has payed full price for. So if a new VR customer that falls under the FB account requirement for some reason or other is banned or prevented from using from facebook, they are also prevented from using their commercial VR product? Sounds very much like a class action lawsuit too me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

nalex66 said:

Mradr said:

nalex66 said:

Perhaps Oculus Support will have some way to help resolve Facebook ban issues. Maybe they need to implement some sort of limited Facebook account that still served as identity verification for VR despite being banned from social media. On the other hand, if Facebook thinks someone's behaviour was so atrocious that a ban was justified, they may decide that they don't want that person in their VR metaverse either.

Yea I get it - but while that sounds right - there are a lot of reason someone might get ban or evil falsely ban while still being legit/ok for every other service. Fun story - I was ban for cheating in 3 games.
1) First game - I was reporting a miss use of a trick you could perform. Was not using it to get a head of the game - but to report that it was possible. I was given a 2 month ban for doing the right thing. Did not require any programs - just a trick you could perform. - Because of this I dont report anything xD I simply just let it go 
2) I was ban from a game where they said I  was cheating - when I didnt ever use a program, hacks, or even tricks. Just one day I came back and it said I was ban for no reason at all xD they didnt even want to give me a reason other than say I was cheating. - I now record a lot of what I do
3) I was ban from a game I never played before. Friend and family just got me the game - went to type in name and password and boom said I was already ban xD  - did a CC back on my card - I learn to use the card back system

Then again - I feel like there are a few Mradrs out in this world... I met one or two in my day - possible  they are at fault idk. My point is that - because I had this issue in the past - it worries me to no hell you would have no recourse if they did something like this. Its not fair at all.

With the way it could be setup - its a 100% lock out punishment system. So if the above happen - you now will lose out of everything instead of just the ability to move on to something else. I always been the expction it feels like to the rule - but still - I went though this and it really sucks when it happens.