cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not to point out the elephant in the room...

DreamerO
Explorer
Facebook. Sorry if that felt like being singled out -- because what ended up happening is thousands of Americans were singled out in targeted advertisement campaigns, in an information war campaign between the USA and Russia.

Not looking to discuss the bigger existential crisis afoot, only...how do you feel about Oculus? 
Has your impression changed any?
53 REPLIES 53

elboffor
Consultant
Meh. Dont care tbh.
Its a good headset.

As for targetted ads, surely its better to see an add for something you may be interested in than some random bollox?
This is my forum signature.
There are many others like it, but this is mine.

matskatsaba
Adventurer
And the chinese factory that your iphone is outscourced to manufacture, also ships random quality electrical components to north korea. So what.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I don’t use Facebook personally, and as far as Oculus, I haven’t noticed any Russian propaganda being beamed straight into my brain via the headset. All is well, Comrades!

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Richooal
Consultant

DreamerO said:

because what ended up happening is thousands of Americans were singled out in targeted advertisement campaigns, in an information war campaign between the USA and Russia.

With a population of around 326,000,000 I don't think thousands of Americans would make any difference.
Also you seem to forget that Facebook doesn't only service USA, there's a whole world of people just over the water from the US that use the Facebook thing too.

DreamerO said:
...how do you feel about Oculus? 
Has your impression changed any?

Oculus, to me, is the provider of virtual reality hardware and software that speaks for itself.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I couldn't give a monkey's tbh, I guarantee you that it isn't the first time this has happened and it won't be the last. They may lose a few users over this in the US but it won't make that much of a dent in the billions that Facebook earns so it won't affect Oculus in any way.

LZoltowski
Champion
Phew, started to read this thread and thought this was going to escalate quickly, thanks for being civil and not making this political etc ... I will allow this thread as long as common sense is used 🙂 

And yes, I don't care either, I haven't used FB in 6 years, Oculus as a company I love .. so there.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am getting rid of Facebook because of this news - it is a great excuse to finally do it without having to explain to all my friends and family that I absolutely hate being on Facebook. LOL

I am kind of hoping they take a big enough hit that it is feasible to buy some shares in their stock. Because I think there is a possibility for some money to be made potentially.

Have to say that Zuckerberg interview on CNN was something else - he looked like he wanted to puke.

As for it's effect on how I think of Oculus - I still kind of see them as a separate company and I hope they aren't affected by this to much. I haven't noticed anything near as insidious as FB in terms of data mining - I mean I haven't used any of the multiplayer / social aspects of it, and likely won't (I barely play multiplayer games on flat screen). So the information required to set up an Oculus account seems pretty innocuous to me.

FastForward352
Heroic Explorer
Though it's the same company, I don't feel tied to Facebook. I hate Facebook since the beginning (I had a profile I quickly erased three months later), I own a Rift and really love it, I don't feel like there is anything between the two of them
Asus X99-A MB | i7 5820K @ 3.30GHz | Asus ROG-STRIX 1080Ti | 32 Gb RAM | SSD SAMSUNG 500Go M-2 |  Samsung 40" 4K Screen | T500RS & TH8A Shifter on Wheel Stand Pro | TM Warthog & Combat Rudder Pedals | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | OCULUS RIFT CV1 - 3 Sensor roomscale setup

Anonymous
Not applicable
I do feel like Facebook bought Oculus because of the possibility of a Social VR space - and I do think that FacebookVR is an inevitability. But as long as it is not forced on me to use the Oculus Rift (or any of the Oculus hardware coming out), I don't see it as being invasive.

If I ever am required to have a Facebook account to use the hardware - that may change my opinion slightly.