cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest 2 Windows 11 Performance. can never hit maximum FPS with link cable.

Gifted83
Protege

I decided to give windows 11 a go and everything on my PC is working flawlessly apart from one big one... Oculus Link performance. Before I go back to windows 10 I wonder if anyone has figured this out already.

Oculus software works fine and the Quest 2 link connects, but it can never hit the required fps settings no matter what they are. So if I have link set to 90hz, then in game it will be about 82-85fps and stuttering, it never hits 90fps even though the game says its locked at 90 on my monitors no problem, and I have loads of headroom in performance monitor (I have a 5900x and RTX 3090!) - If i use the 120hz option then i will get about 105fps but never 120. Even if i choose 72hz ill get about 65fps. super annoying.

I went onto the beta channel on the software and got the latest updates but still no luck.

I dont mind going back to windows 10 and i get windows 11 might not be ready yet, but literally EVERYTHING else on my pc works fine, only the vr performance, so its a shame. Any ideas of things to try before I reinstall windows 10?

453 REPLIES 453

inbound4958702945450627168.jpg

Vampucio
Explorer

that's totally patetic. I paid almost 400€ and i cannot use my oculus quest 2 with the pc just because they are goats to do a bug fix? and don't tell me win 11 is not supported because i can understand if i try to use win xp, an old system, but a "new" system no. I don't accept this. For me i'll never buy nothing else from them, i'll sell my quest 2 and i'll take a real vr. This situation is like a joke and i don't understand why in usa no 1 started a class action for this situation.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand your anger, because I suffered it, I installed win11 and I had to reinstall windows 10, but I'm sorry to tell you that I don't share it. Tell you that the other VR are also having problems with win11, since it is seen that it is an S.O. which has been released with many errors. You have two options either go back to win 10 or install as a second S.O. win 10 and goodbye to problems.

Check the Audio Settings workaround on the previous page. At least it's useable then. Worked for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Let's see, I think you don't understand the depth of the problem with win 11, to tell you that I have always worked with that tab disabled and also to tell you that the Fps problem is the tip of the iceberg. The real problem with win 11 is system instability, with image breakage issues, distortions, etc. I don't know what VR applications you work with, probably with the native Oculus ones, but I'm talking about applications, as in my case it's FS2020 where with win 11 it's impossible to get a stable setup that works well. If the solution to the problem was that disabling, you think that the Oculus technicians would not have already communicated it.
I've tried, not played thoroughly with "Echo VR" and it works fantastically well, but they are applications made specifically for Oculus and that's why they don't cause stability problems.
If for you the problem is solved with that solution, perfect, but do not insist that this is the solution because you are totally wrong. I already commented in another post that win 11 also generates problems with other virtual reality glasses, the HP G2 for example.

@Anonymous wrote:

The real problem with win 11 is system instability, with image breakage issues, distortions, etc. 

Sorry, I cannot relate to any of this. Other than the frame dips with Oculus Link, my Win 11 system runs rock solid. No instability, image breaking issues whatsoever. No matter wheather I work with OpenVR or Oculus native apps. Unity, Blender and all my other office applications run just fine. No noticeable decrease in performance.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

By God, you are closed-minded, your applications that you use, will be compared with the graphic requirements that FS2020 demands, it is like comparing a Smart with a Ferrari, you still do not know what you are talking about, I told you that I have an Oculus application that is Echo Vr that works wonderfully well and if you have read this post from the beginning and there was no problem or it was as simple as you postulate, no Administrator would say as Oculus affirms that Windows 11 "DOES NOT HAVE COMPATIBILITY WITH WINDOWS 11", that with your applications that you drive you don't have any problem, "I BELIEVE YOU" but because you don't have any problem, it doesn't mean that other people have it. You are not the navel of the world.

CactusCowboy
Adventurer

@Ryanality here's something for you to forward/read:

I was doing some more testing with Win11 and the Audio workaround with the following result:

CactusCowboy_1-1642703208188.png

Oculus Native Games:

When you set this option, you can play all games using the Oculus native SDK. ie. everything that comes from the Oculus Store but also games such as Pavlov (when started in Oculus mode)! 

However, the moment you want to start games that use SteamVR/OpenVR or OpenXR based games, you will end up with no audio in your headset / only audio coming from your PC speakers. But I found a way around this.

SteamVR & OpenXR Games or still no audio?:

CactusCowboy_3-1642704108367.png

Start SteamVR and open the Settings and navigate to the Audio tab. Here make the changes as shown in the picture above. This will do two things: First SteamVR won't change your default audio device anymore to Oculus and second it will also mirror the Audio to your Quest.

Now, if your games still won't mirror the audio to your headset, force it to, but DO NOT chance your default audio device to Oculus! Keep it on your speakers/monitor/whatever.

CactusCowboy_2-1642703662555.png

Open the Windows Volume Mixer, find your running OpenXR/SteamVR Application and set the Output device here to Oculus Virtual Audio Device here! (The game must be running, or it won't show up!) Then you may have to restart your game (Had this on

This needs to be done for every single game, but at least only once.

Important: Do NOT set your default audio device to Oculus Virtual Audio Device! If you do this, you end up with the typical compositor frame drops!

After messing with these audio settings, having the ovrserver console enabled wasn't needed anymore. 

TL:DR:  Make sure Oculus is not your default windows audio device and make sure you have audio mirroring enabled on Oculus and SteamVR.

Thank you Oculus Support for being to helpful in this thread so far.

Thanks for sharing! I'll get that up to the team.

Help others find great discussions and answers by adding kudos and marking solutions to your questions.

Cactus Cowboy 1 : 0 Metaverse ^^ great work dude