cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest 2 Windows 11 Performance. can never hit maximum FPS with link cable.

Gifted83
Level 4

I decided to give windows 11 a go and everything on my PC is working flawlessly apart from one big one... Oculus Link performance. Before I go back to windows 10 I wonder if anyone has figured this out already.

Oculus software works fine and the Quest 2 link connects, but it can never hit the required fps settings no matter what they are. So if I have link set to 90hz, then in game it will be about 82-85fps and stuttering, it never hits 90fps even though the game says its locked at 90 on my monitors no problem, and I have loads of headroom in performance monitor (I have a 5900x and RTX 3090!) - If i use the 120hz option then i will get about 105fps but never 120. Even if i choose 72hz ill get about 65fps. super annoying.

I went onto the beta channel on the software and got the latest updates but still no luck.

I dont mind going back to windows 10 and i get windows 11 might not be ready yet, but literally EVERYTHING else on my pc works fine, only the vr performance, so its a shame. Any ideas of things to try before I reinstall windows 10?

453 REPLIES 453

This workaround is actually better than the server console since some games need the window focus for themselves. Ever since I do it this way, I almost forgot about the Win11 issue.

Doesn't the audio workaround need to be done every time you start a game or switch games?

If even, once per game. Once you've set a game up, you never have to do it again. Since I mostly use Link for Unity Development and Pavlov, I never really noticed the Win 11 issue anymore. Some games seem not to need any additional audio settings in Windows, other just need a single time extra help. But that's it.

Gifted83
Level 4

Wow - My original post for this issue was JULY 2021!!... and its still not official fixed 8 months later.

That really is shocking tbh. 

here's a fix for you ....hange audio output to something else instead of Virtual Audio 😎

Imagine how bad a real zero day software exploit would be. 

It is a company more focused on woke garbage and censoring people than it is on it's products and support. 

Win 11 Pro | i9 9900KF | MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC | RTX 3080 Ti | G.SKILL 32GB DDR4 3200 CL14 | Samsung Evo 860 4TB SSD

I see. Thanks, I might try it sometime if I ever need to use the link cable. I've been using virtual desktop on windows 11 exclusively until now. It's ridiculous that the developer(s) of virtual desktop can fix it but the company that actually profits the most from the product can't even. After upgrading to a wifi 6 router which reduced my latency so much to the point that I can't tell the difference between that and the cable and getting a battery pack for the quest that lets me play up to 7 hours on a single charge, I haven't found a reason yet to use a link cable. If I ever do, I'll keep this in mind.

Mike12306
Level 6

I think I know why this is taking so long for them to fix and people aren't going to like to hear it. I'm not justifying their behavior and I'm equally as frustrated that they aren't supporting windows 11 but I can see why it hasn't been done yet. 
It's all about money. PCVR takes the bottom of the list because it doesn't bring in as much revenue. They're more focused on standalone titles (games that run natively on the quest), their upcoming headsets and building their metaverse. There aren't enough people using their headsets for pcvr and even fewer of them are running windows 11 and buying those games from Oculus store. Especially when the price doesn't change regardless of your region. I can get the same game for 1/3rd of the price from steam as I could get from oculus store. 

Take a look a few pages back at their reply to me about this issue. They suggested I couldn't wait to escape dinosaurs in VR (reference to the Jurassic Park game which is a quest 2 exclusive and unrelated to PCVR) and they were "working hard on the issue". That and their silence since then should make it pretty obvious.

It also doesn't help that they don't have any competition. Try finding a wireless PCVR headset for anywhere near this price. 

Advertising Link and even developing AirLink would disagree with it.

However, the obvious solution to remain relevant on the pcvr marked would be a lightweight Link Client instead of the heavy oculus software imho. 

The whole setup process is way too teadious from a consumer perspective. Download phone app, login to phone app, login to wifi, setup quest, download 12GB Oculus Software, login facebook. All those logins are a pain in the ass.

Anyway, @Ryanality is there any news regarding this issue? I mean, it's almost mid march now! Give us at least something. We don't give a **bleep** would suffice.