cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preparation for DK2 - New Build Help.

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
So in preparation for the arrival of our much-anticipated RDK2 (and my 36th birthday) I have decided I can afford to spend about another 180 or so dollars upgrading my PC. The only problem is, I can't figure out what to buy!
Being that this group carries with it some of the brightest and most knowledgeable people I have ever met, I would appreciate it if some of you could help me figure out where best I could apply my small amount of monies to get the most performance out of what is available to me.

My current build so far is:
990fx-extreme4
AMD FX-8350 (8core Vishera: bought it for Maya)
EVGA GTX 580 3gb
2 TB Seagate Hybrid SSHD
Thermaltake SMART 750w
Qnix 1440p Monitor

I was thinking of buying a new GPU and then selling my 580 to help recoup some of the costs as I could quite likely still get $300 for it on ebay without much trouble, but I could do the same for the processor if that would be a better choice. I'm just not sure.
Any ideas?
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan
10 REPLIES 10

cybereality
Grand Champion
Yeah, I'd definitely go with a GPU if you can only upgrade one. The other stuff looks OK.

The GTX 770 seems like a good buy. The R9 290 is also decent if you'd rather go with AMD.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
Thanks, I took a look on ebay and there are some great deals on 770's and even a couple of 780's for about $50 more.
After hearing so many good things about the 780 I just might have to make the upgrade. If I can manage to sell my 580 for $300 bucks I should be able to stay within my budget. 🙂
“If you are willing to look at another person’s behavior toward you as a reflection of the state of their relationship with themselves rather than a statement about your value as a person, then you will, over a period of time cease to react at all.” (~I really gotta remember this shiz~) ― Yogi Bhajan

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
Ok, I need some quick advice. It looks as though I may be able to pick up an AMD 7990 for a price not much more than the 770 from an acquaintance of mine. However, knowing the 7990 is a dual-gpu card I am aware it will suffer the same micro-stuttering problems that any crossfire/sli setup would.
I know that AMD came out with a partial solution to microstutter (frame-pacing) to match Nvidias (frame metering) solution, but I am not sure about the efficacy of such a solution in a Virtual Reality environment such as the Rift provides and the Rift is my primary reason for making the purchase.
Does anybody have any knowledge in this area that can guide me towards making a smart purchase?

Thanks.

🙂

Edit: ok, nvm. After having a good look on some forums it appears the 7990 suffers from some issues such as coil whine and ridiculously temps that just make it not worth the purchase.

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
Echo, echo, echo, echo, echo, echo, echo, echo, echo, echo

cybereality
Grand Champion
I forgot to say: "Hey, HappyHimitsu!" Nice to see you back on the boards.

Anyway, I'd recommend staying with a single GPU card. Dual GPU is not worth it because of stutter and lag issues.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

RonScholten
Honored Guest
Because it's not possible to start my own thread (being new here) i put it here (hope OP won't mind)

With the oculus coming in july i'm looking for an upgrade of my gpu.

Possible problem is that my cpu will be a bottleneck. I want to buy a gtx 780 (upgrading from gtx 570)

I have an I5 750.
Will this cpu be to slow and if it is, what card could i buy so that the cpu wont slow it down?

This is all assuming my rig is to slow to use with the oculus and games on medium to high settings.

AnotherAtreyu
Protege
"cybereality" wrote:
I forgot to say: "Hey, HappyHimitsu!" Nice to see you back on the boards.

Anyway, I'd recommend staying with a single GPU card. Dual GPU is not worth it because of stutter and lag issues.

Thanks, between work and getting up to speed with UE4 I haven't had as much time to check out the forums lately.

I ended up going with the EVGA GTX 780 3gb Classified I found on sale on newegg for 540 bucks.
I should be able to make enough from my 580 to keep the difference around $220-230, which is a little more than what I was planning initially, but my Wife says it's fine so I'm good. 😄
I'm hoping it will keep me going with the Rift for at least a year or two without having to dial things down too much.

So stoked!

"ronscholten" wrote:
Because it's not possible to start my own thread (being new here) i put it here (hope OP won't mind)

With the oculus coming in july i'm looking for an upgrade of my gpu.

Possible problem is that my cpu will be a bottleneck. I want to buy a gtx 780 (upgrading from gtx 570)

I have an I5 750.
Will this cpu be to slow and if it is, what card could i buy so that the cpu wont slow it down?

This is all assuming my rig is to slow to use with the oculus and games on medium to high settings.

From what I've heard on various forums, any i5 will produce a bottleneck of varying degrees on a 780.
This is all based on reading anecdotal reports though. I haven't used intel for years so I really have no idea (although I do want to upgrade to an i7 sometime in the next year or so).

RonScholten
Honored Guest
"HappyHimitsu" wrote:

From what I've heard on various forums, any i5 will produce a bottleneck of varying degrees on a 780.
This is all based on reading anecdotal reports though. I haven't used intel for years so I really have no idea (although I do want to upgrade to an i7 sometime in the next year or so).

I got my answer (same what you said) on another part of this forum, so i got me an i5 4690 planned for next month.
What i did read was that an i5 is enough for gaming, no need for an i7, so that saves me some money.

dwood15
Protege
I really hope the nvidia card really works out for you, but it's a shame you couldn't go for the R9 290 or 290x for significantly cheaper (I just saw this thread). You can find fantastic prices for the latest amd cards.