cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official Films Thread

snowdog
Level 16
Well bollocks, we've got a telly thread so I thought I'd create one for films too.

I'm currently working my way through Movies With A Twist Collection 3 which I downloaded years ago from TPB. All of those torrents are now dead which is a shame because I didn't get around to downloading Collection 4. I'm downloading all of those separately which is a hassle but will be worth it in the end going by 1-3 so far.

Am in the middle of watching Law Abiding Citizen, I think I've seen it before but i was so long ago I've forgotten what happens.

The problem with watching these films knowing that there's a twist makes it easy to work out what the twist in question is so probably better if you watch them without that knowledge lol

Here's a list of some of my all-time favourite films of all-time in no particular order:

Brazil
The Life Of Brian
The Holy Grail
The Meaning Of Life
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Lifeforce (a terrible film but the female lead vampire spends most of it naked lol)
All Lethal Weapons
All Die Hards
Every Dirty Harry Film
The Jungle Book (the Disney original)
Pi
Falling Down (just for the McDonalds scene lmfao)
Silent Running
Logan's Run
All 60s-70s Planet Of The Apes
Soylent Green

Am going to stop there otherwise this post is going to be HUGE lol

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
475 REPLIES 475

RedRizla
Level 16
Well if that spoiler is the plot then it's a bit pointless watching it now @snowdog.

RuneSR2
Level 16

Digikid1 said:

RedRizla said:

Digikid1 said:

RedRizla said:

Do you have to watch the other Transformer Movies before watching Bumblebee? Anyone know?

No you don’t. Bumblebee is a prequel. 

So what order is it best to watch Transformers in?

I would say in the order they were released....except waych Bumblebee first. 

All of the Transformers movies are great despite what others are saying. 

Michael Bay delivers in spades - some of the greatest movie effect ever made. I never had a problem with the stories, seem to fit the cartoons nicely. I'd recommend watching the 3D versions if possible (movies 3 to 5 were made in 3D). In 2017 The Last Knight was one of the few movies to be shot in real 3D:

https://youtu.be/5LU0XNQK0pk

It probably won't matter much watching Bumblebee before or after the 5 Transformer movies (also most of us will be watching it after ;)). I'm getting that movie too - it's out on disc May 13.

https://youtu.be/lcwmDAYt22k

Bumblebee is a 3D movie, but it seems no blu-ray 3D will be available - maybe it's not that bad, having not to choose between 3D or 4K kinda reduces my long list of first world problems  😐
Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 Evo M.2 SSD 128GB (for OS) + Samsung EVO 860 4TB SSD (for games) + Toshiba P300 High-Performance HDD 3TB (for games); Win10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1, the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0.

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

RedRizla
Level 16
@RuneSR2 - Why is there no 3D, if it's a 3D movie?

RuneSR2
Level 16

RedRizla said:

My guess is that few persons buy 3D blu-rays these days. Normally I'd be one of the persons only buying 3D blu-rays, but after getting into 4K on a large tv I have a hard time seeing myself going for 3D instead of 4K + HDR. And you can't buy a new 3D TV, I guess 3D at home is dying, sadly. 
Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 Evo M.2 SSD 128GB (for OS) + Samsung EVO 860 4TB SSD (for games) + Toshiba P300 High-Performance HDD 3TB (for games); Win10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1, the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0.

RedRizla
Level 16
RuneSR2 said:

RedRizla said:

My guess is that few persons buy 3D blu-rays these days. Normally I'd be one of the persons only buying 3D blu-rays, but after getting into 4K on a large tv I have a hard time seeing myself going for 3D instead of 4K + HDR. And you can't buy a new 3D TV, I guess 3D at home is dying, sadly. 

They should still do it for people with 3D projectors. I'm surprised this movie isn't in 3D, if it was already a 3D movie.

RuneSR2
Level 16
BTW, these are upcoming 3D blu-ray movies arriving this year (some text in Danish), maybe not a complete list - unfortunately no Bumblebee - corresponding to searching for Bumblebee 3D on Amazon:

x2bxv2k7mihb.jpg

For 3D it seems like we need to go to the cinema - maybe that's a good thing, could make me support our local cinema a lot more 🙂

w4ofaeffegru.jpg

"The 3D looks dazzling in this movie.This movie has some mighty impressive 3D imagery. The movie has incredible 3D depth and pop outs. This film has one stunning 3D scene after another. The movie opens on the Transformers home planet Cybertron and it looks beautiful in 3D.  Another scene with reflections on a window in the Sector 7's base is especially strong in 3D. Finally, one scene inside the video game Pong is especially interesting to see in 3D. There was one scene that didn't work in 3D, an establishing shot of the full moon in the night sky. The moon was completely flat, and it was jarring to see it in 3D. Besides that moment, everything 3D related is stellar. Travis Knight knocked it out the park regarding the 3D element of this movie. The 3D aspect of Bumblebee is very strong, and I can highly recommend it."

https://www.3dor2d.com/reviews/bumblebee-3d

RuneSR2
Level 16
A nice thread for those mourning the death of Bumblebee 3D BD  B)

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=306409

Quote: "Paramount don’t want our money. Will buy this used for 2 bucks" 

RuneSR2
Level 16

RedRizla said:

@RuneSR2 - Or don't get Venom at all because it's pants 😛

Overord a 5/10 from me.

Thanks for the heads up - I went into the Venom battle prepared, nothing helps like a solid dose of frontal lobe anesthesia  o:) :blush:

nibqa9kpnp1j.jpg

As I told the wife - I'll just have one glass! 🙂

My 11 year old son rated Fantastic Four 4K 6/10. After we watched Venom I asked him to rate the movie - and he answered "11/10". 

Personally I ended up at 7/10.

+ 1 for outstanding Dolby Atmos sound quality.

+ 1 for great 4K image quality - and pure blacks - thanks to HDR. 

The wife loved the movie too. Guess it was worth the 40 bucks. 

Maybe I was slightly antisocial during the movie, but I needed the Atmos fix, so I used my Sony wireless surround headphones (optical digital audio). The sound and bass (especially for Venom's voice), using the headphones 50 mm driver units, was totally awesome. Not sure I remember better sound in other movies, but Atmos works like uncompressed sound. Actually I'm feeling somewhat deaf at the moment, guess my hearing will return soon  😄

RuneSR2
Level 16
Venom also contained Stan Lee's last cameo which also made the Venom movie special to me:

https://youtu.be/JIDwFs_vfJQ

As a kid I never liked Venom in the Spidey comic books, I liked the story about Venom's origin and more a lot better in the movie. BTW, my not exactly undernourished son is always hungry, I assume that's why he clicked with Venom  😄

RuneSR2
Level 16
The wife likes some weird dude named Potter - so I bought this movie and we watched it yesterday:

jiniybzp5q2n.jpg
It's been a long week and having a glass of red wine - or two - during the movie is not recommended. I think I experienced more than one slumber attack - and Forbes is spot on:

"There are twists. There are turns. There’s a whole host of new characters to deal with, and lots of convoluted relationships between them. There’s a new villain to get your head round, with new motives and more history to interweave between previously established characters. As if all this wasn’t enough already to make the film sometimes feel more like a memory test than a fun couple of hours at the movies, your brain also has to handle a bombardment of consistently  beautiful visuals (which is a good thing) and at times aggressively edited action scenes (which is less of a good thing). With so much to take in, the film stands up to repeat viewings pretty well. 😄 And Harry Potter obsessives may well delight in all the historical details the film adds to the Harry Potter world."
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2019/04/03/fantastic-beasts-the-crimes-of-grindelwald-4k-blu...

Not exactly the most easy film to watch for persons like me who care very little about "the Harry Potter world"  :# Did have a moment of clarity though - and I'm starting to feel confident that the dude with the white hair on the cover was the bad guy!  😄

Apart from the cognitively taxing story, this movie was to my surpirse close to 4K reference in image quality. Images mostly looked like photographs much like The Revenant - and exploring it further, this actually was a real 4K movie - not upscaled  😮

"The Crimes of Grindelwald looks extremely impressive in 4K. This is a finely textured and razor-sharp 2160p transfer that easily outpaces the already great Blu-ray transfer in almost every department and showcases a tremendous amount of depth, detail, and color. The latter is boosted significantly by the full benefits of HDR, which go a long way in bringing rich and interesting colors out of dark backgrounds -- of which there are plenty -- while effects-driven segments like magic spells and the Circus Arcanus are given new life by the more refined levels of saturation. Skin tones always look appropriate for the setting (and species), with even the more muted sequences -- again, of which there are plenty -- displaying a subtle range of varied colors that ensure we're not just looking at the same boring range of dark blues and grays.

As for the more traditional elements of 4K, textures offer the most obvious improvement: costume designs and establishing shots (Paris and London skylines, especially) reveal a staggering amount of detail, with close-ups bordering on three-dimensional. The Crimes of Grindelwald's detailed production design is loaded with background details, all of which are more evident with the format's increased resolution. Digital imperfections such as banding, compression artifacts, black crush, and noise reduction are basically absent from start to finish, while even the foggiest London scenes are handled without a hitch. Overall, this one of the better-looking 4K discs n recent memory, especially due to its challenging source material. I doubt that anyone's going to find very much to complain about here. "
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Fantastic-Beasts-The-Crimes-of-Grindelwald-4K-Blu-ray/220236/

In fact the image quality when filming normal actors often was so incredible razor-sharp that special effects often stood out - because these were more blurry and probably made in 2K. But it wasn't a great problem, especially not when everything moved, it's more noticeable when things stand relatively still. Sound was Dolby Atmos and simply awesome too. 

All in all - might have to see this one again trying to fully comprehend the story (I'll rate the story 5/10 for now), but image and sound quality were easily both 9/10. 

I'm starting to really see the difference between true 4K and 2K blu-ray - I'm not sure if that's a good thing...  😐

Tonight I've planned to see this - alone (wife doesn't want to see it - at all) - it's not available in 4K:

4wwixcwwj77i.jpg