cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official Films Thread

snowdog
Level 15
Well bollocks, we've got a telly thread so I thought I'd create one for films too.

I'm currently working my way through Movies With A Twist Collection 3 which I downloaded years ago from TPB. All of those torrents are now dead which is a shame because I didn't get around to downloading Collection 4. I'm downloading all of those separately which is a hassle but will be worth it in the end going by 1-3 so far.

Am in the middle of watching Law Abiding Citizen, I think I've seen it before but i was so long ago I've forgotten what happens.

The problem with watching these films knowing that there's a twist makes it easy to work out what the twist in question is so probably better if you watch them without that knowledge lol

Here's a list of some of my all-time favourite films of all-time in no particular order:

Brazil
The Life Of Brian
The Holy Grail
The Meaning Of Life
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Lifeforce (a terrible film but the female lead vampire spends most of it naked lol)
All Lethal Weapons
All Die Hards
Every Dirty Harry Film
The Jungle Book (the Disney original)
Pi
Falling Down (just for the McDonalds scene lmfao)
Silent Running
Logan's Run
All 60s-70s Planet Of The Apes
Soylent Green

Am going to stop there otherwise this post is going to be HUGE lol

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
529 REPLIES 529

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I just watched Kate.

Imagine Crank (without the humor) meets John Wick.

An assassin has 14 hours to find and kill the person who had her poisoned.

The fight scenes are pretty cool. Lots of stabbing and headshots. Mary Elizabeth Winstead kicks a heap of ass.

The Matrix 4 does look cool. It's going to be odd having a Matrix movie without Hugo Weaving's distinct Agent Smith voice.

This is also the first Matrix movie that was made by Lana Wachowski without Lilly Wachowski. They co-directed all of their previous movies.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

....I am going to watch this tonight. The review on IMDB was so-so but the trailer looked great. Who needs user reviews?...hahaha!.......

RuneSR2
Level 15

Saw these two movies this weekend - they were a lot better than I remember them, but 4K does make quite a difference:

_4k_uhd__bluray_1601739710_fdff5f2a.jpg

Especially Game of Shadows was awesome, could see tons of details in Moriarty's skin. Audio was great too. 

The movies have high IMDB ratings - 7.6 and 7.5 respectively. The third movie is expected in December 2021:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2094116/

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Level 15

Just arrived, probably $45 down the drain, but I'm sure Disney needs the dough 😇 - and she does look like a cutie on the Steelbook 😍

20210915_163734.jpg

- also saw it was a $200 mill movie - better see it then 🤓 Even if only 6.8 on IMDB 😬

Would much rather have Shang-Chi... but it'll probably arrive soon too...

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB

RuneSR2
Level 15

My 4K movie-pusher-shop knows my weaknesses 😬 Of course they know that the new Dune movie launched in the cinemas yesterday - and they probably know the movie has this year's highest IMDB rating so far. And they just offered me the movie for $45 - limited Steelbook Edition and free shipping. 

That's an offer I cannot refuse - already bought it. The deal is so fresh you cannot even find images of the 4K movie anywhere - but some Germans made their own preliminary version:

dune-2021-4k-blu-ray-vorbestellen.jpg

Most popular user review on IMDB:

Unavngivet.jpg

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I'm curious to see how Dune turns out.

I love the 1984 Dune. Or more specifically I love the first half. Just visually amazing. The last half gets a bit dull, just sand everywhere. Although every scene with Sting is great, he has some of the best maniacal grins I've ever seen in a movie.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

@kojack wrote:

I just watched Kate.

Imagine Crank (without the humor) meets John Wick.

An assassin has 14 hours to find and kill the person who had her poisoned.

The fight scenes are pretty cool. Lots of stabbing and headshots. Mary Elizabeth Winstead kicks a heap of ass.

The Matrix 4 does look cool. It's going to be odd having a Matrix movie without Hugo Weaving's distinct Agent Smith voice.

This is also the first Matrix movie that was made by Lana Wachowski without Lilly Wachowski. They co-directed all of their previous movies.

I finally saw Kate thanks to your recommendation. And I loved it! Definitely some strong John Wick vibes with a healthy dose of Kill Bill. Highly enjoyable from start to finish.

With the whole Matrix franchise, I do have a bit of a love-hate relationship with it. I think the first one is amazing. And I watched the next 2 films out of dedication. But I was never truly happy with the storyline.

There's plenty of breakdowns about "what's wrong with the Matrix," so I won't go in to all that here. I am a little worried that Matrix 4 may "jump the shark." But I will be watching that out of the same dedication lol

I am hoping that Matrix 4 is some side-story type of thing. Perhaps NEO is dreaming. Or perhaps they are working with the machines now and entered in to some form of the Matrix that needs help? 

Or maybe someone screwed up and the peace between the humans and robots was ended; with this movie picking up where everyone is once again enslaved.

So may angles they can take. Just please please please don't jump the shark lol

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Oh yeah, Kill Bill. I should have thought of that influence. 🙂

Also part of the plot is similar to Hard Revenge Milly : Bloody Battle, another awesome "woman seeking revenge goes on a gruesome martial arts killing spree". Specifically the plot of the female side character that tags along.

I'd recommend the Hard Revenge Milly series (2 movies) if you like japanese action/gore films like The Machine Girl, Tokyo Gore Police, Robogeisha, etc.

I'd post trailers for some of the Noboru Iguchi (The Machine Girl, RoboGeisha, Mutant Girls Squad, Zombie Ass : Toilet of the Dead, Dead Sushi) and Yoshihiro Nishimura (Tokyo Gore Police, Vampire Girl vs Frankenstein Girl, Helldriver) movies I've seen, but I'd probably get banned from the forum. Just the Tokyo Gore Police trailer alone is pretty messed up. (The two of them work together on some of those, Yoshihiro is a gore makeup artist on many movies and directs some too)

The most disappointing was RoboGeisha, they replaced the blood effects with CGI, which looked so crap. All the others use so much actual liquid fake blood that Evil Dead 2 would feel jealous.

But it does have this scene, making it all worth while. (No blood or violence)

Wasn't expecting much for Black Widow, but was positively surprised. There're several awesome scenes which may justify the $200 mill budget. But most of all I don't remember any Disney 4K movie looking this sharp. Black Widow may be an example of a close to perfect 4K movie. While many other movies use upscaling from 2K to 4K, Black Widow is full 4K all the way. Even the larger special effects scenes, which often get reduced to 2K to save costs, looked totally sharp and 4K to me. Movie immersion never really has been better - ok, maybe if I could get 4K 3D, sigh. 

I can see other movie enthusiasts noticing the glory of the Black Widow 4K version too:

"The native 4K resolution further allows for a brilliant bit of textural gain as well. The picture is obviously crisper and cleaner. There's something of a glossier sheen to it at this resolution but the increase in overall clarity is obvious even without a direct comparison; simply watching the movie a second time reveals the jump. Still, A-B comparisons do demonstrate the exceedingly good uptick in textural gain, particularly obvious in close-ups where skin details, for example, leap off the screen with newfound depth and precision. Look at a Romanoff close-up at the 1:34:22 mark for a terrific example of the UHD bringing out a fairly substantial increase in clarity and fine detail. This extends to practical and digital elements, clothes, and various environments as well. Add in the absence of distracting noise and the picture's freedom from compression and encode issues and there's nothing to dislike here. This is a first-rate UHD presentation from Disney."

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Black-Widow-4K-Blu-ray/258631/#Review

Being able to see small windows in building miles hundreds of meters away means that the depth of the 2D image was incredible. You can see all finer skin details like never before, lol - really felt close to Scarlett Johansson 😁 Florence Pugh playing as Johansson's younger sister wasn't a bad move too - I greatly enjoyed Pugh in stunningly high 4K res too 😃

9pcdnraxqvg61.jpg

The Dolby Atmos sound was awesome too. Only using the UHD disc version you get lossless Atmos - when streaming the movie, Atmos sound is compressed, and the 4K movie is also much more compressed than the disc version. Thus streaming the 4K version is not at all the same as experiencing the 4K disc version (disc may contain up to 100GB data). 

My son did complain that this was a "chick flick" - and that there were few men in the movie. But as I tried to explain above, for married men this may not be all that bad 😎 I do think Black Widow was a way for Disney to try to expand their female audience, not sure if that worked. My wife did like the movie a lot.

7.5/10 on my scale. But that's only for the 4K disc version - you may subtract up to 2 for other verisons (4 for the DVD version, lol). 

RuneSR2
Level 15

Got bored and bought some stuff 😇 

I don't even really like Tenet - but steelbooks are my soft spot 😃 (and Tenet isn't exactly a walk in the park, might not be a bad idea wacthing it twice)

tenet_-_limited_steelbook_4k_ultra_hd_blu-ray_nordic-56280781-.jpg

- and bought a girlie movie for the wife... the movie's budget was $200 mill, it can't be a bad movie! 🤔 (By a complete pure coincidence I got the steelbook again 😁 )

wonder_woman_1984_-_limited_steelbook_4k_ultra_hd_blu-ray_n-67280115-.jpg

Last and maybe least, I bought some existential intellectual educational movie about hunting ... stuff ... I can already feel my neurons sprouting 😎 

monster_hunter_4k_ultra_hd_blu-ray_nordic-67609271-.jpg