cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official Films Thread

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well bollocks, we've got a telly thread so I thought I'd create one for films too.

I'm currently working my way through Movies With A Twist Collection 3 which I downloaded years ago from TPB. All of those torrents are now dead which is a shame because I didn't get around to downloading Collection 4. I'm downloading all of those separately which is a hassle but will be worth it in the end going by 1-3 so far.

Am in the middle of watching Law Abiding Citizen, I think I've seen it before but i was so long ago I've forgotten what happens.

The problem with watching these films knowing that there's a twist makes it easy to work out what the twist in question is so probably better if you watch them without that knowledge lol

Here's a list of some of my all-time favourite films of all-time in no particular order:

Brazil
The Life Of Brian
The Holy Grail
The Meaning Of Life
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Lifeforce (a terrible film but the female lead vampire spends most of it naked lol)
All Lethal Weapons
All Die Hards
Every Dirty Harry Film
The Jungle Book (the Disney original)
Pi
Falling Down (just for the McDonalds scene lmfao)
Silent Running
Logan's Run
All 60s-70s Planet Of The Apes
Soylent Green

Am going to stop there otherwise this post is going to be HUGE lol

583 REPLIES 583

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

I've seen this film and it's rather bizarre. This has to be the first movie that had me thinking is this a shite film or is it quite good. I still don't know the answer, so it will be interesting to know what @RuneSR2 thinks about it. I would usually turn a movie off it's it's crap, but I did watch this movie right the way through. 

It's definitely not a 10/10 movie, but I'm convinced it's not 1/10 either - I'd probably rate it 6/10. I guess you could describe it as a powerful movie about justified mayhem and/or violence. Movies about revenge aren't new, but the mixture of Rambo/Hellraiser combined with the revenge aspect may set this movie apart from other slightly similar movies. Now I'm thinking I should have bought Deadpool 2 instead, but Mandy wasn't bad - but it didn't really touch me much. Despite all the gore and the tragic story, I'm not sure I'll remember this movie much in a few years - the story seems way too shallow. In some way I consider it more an experimental art film - for what it's worth 🙂

PS. There might be some inspiration from Evil Dead in Mandy too - Nicholas Cage does look a lot like Ash. And Leatherface and his weird family may be represented too, although Leatherface's role may have been divided onto 4 different new characters.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Although I live here, usually I'm not fond of Scandinavian movies and rarely watch them - but the Department Q movies have been great/nice/not-bad to watch. As stated in this article, the movies may work best when binged - and you have to read subtitles (if you don't understand Danish):

https://film.avclub.com/the-department-q-crime-trilogy-plays-best-when-binged-1798188128

Saw the first two movies yesterday, and I'm continuing with this one tonight:

https://youtu.be/O15-xYqBDZU

- and then there's the 4th movie:

https://youtu.be/jfVTL2FxsDY

So it's not a trilogy - in fact there're 7 books, so far only the first 4 have been made into movies:
  • No. 1 - The Keeper of Lost Causes
  • No. 2 - The Absent One
  • No. 3 - A Conspiracy of Faith
  • No. 4 - The Purity of Vengeance
  • No. 5 - The Marco Effect 
  • No. 6 - The Hanging Girl
  • No. 7 - The Scarred Woman 

Looks like some of these movies have been shown at least by the BBC (English subs, Danish spoken language):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08n5dsm/episodes/guide

Maybe I should blame Sony for slowly turning me into a couch potato - but the quality on modern 4K TVs is just outstanding, I can see even the tiniest skin defects, sometimes making me feel closer to the girls/women on screen than my wife  😄 Actually the visual quality is so great it looks like photographs and probably tricks my brain into believing that movies are much more real than ever before. So yes, when possible, of course we need higher res in VR to further improve immersion. BTW, this isn't really a commercial - it actually works 😉

https://youtu.be/1pYVt5vbOms

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's crazy watching crime films and series from the 60s-80s. The amounts of money that are being robbed in these blags are ridiculous compared to money these days. £50,000 from an armed robbery in those days was the stuff that dreams were made of but these days it really isn't a great deal of cash.

Armed robberies changed in the 80s though, when the police started to respond with deadly force. I had a mate that used to do armed robberies quite regularly but he gave it up because it became too dangerous...so then he started to deal Speed instead, much safer lol  😮 😄

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just picked up a few blu-ray movies in the local hypermarket - because due to the tech in my new TV, blu-ray movies even look better than 3D blu-rays on my plasma - never thought I'd live to write that, sigh. Also movies in MKV or similar compressed formats suddenly don't look very good when upscaled to 4K - the TV really needs like 25GB of data to work with for a 1080p movie, double sigh. Still Netflix looks great in 1080p, but I think Sony lets the TV support Netflix, while all the TV's processing powers are turned more or less off when showing MKV and the like (especially using the VLC player). Ended up with these blu-ray movies:

https://youtu.be/JmaCMswlaKo

Love Western movies, so picked up this one - although the IMDB rating is below 7...

https://youtu.be/kFFwknK6iUI

And then this high-rated Danish film - but now I saw it's already on Netflix - dammit 😄 (Buying movies is getting so difficult, first I have to check IMDB, then I have to check Netflix, not easy when checking a large number of movies and the wife and kids want me to move on.) 

https://youtu.be/p0C2i_Jmh90

r1yaw2zcxlel.jpg

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'm not to bothered about getting the television I want right now, and that's mainly due to the fact that most new films I've seen recently have been a load of shite. Most of the time I find myself thinking, I wish this would just hurry up and finish, which is a sign to me that it's shite. I would normally switch these films off, but the problem is most of what's on television in the UK is shite too. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

I'm not to bothered about getting the television I want right now, and that's mainly due to the fact that most new films I've seen recently have been a load of shite. Most of the time I find myself thinking, I wish this would just hurry up and finish, which is a sign to me that it's shite. I would normally switch these films off, but the problem is most of what's on television in the UK is shite too. 

Yup, I generally don't watch live television. If there's something I want to watch I just download it from a fantastic members only torrent site I joined years ago after it has been on.

I do watch live football and boxing but that isn't by giving the Murdoch Empire any money - I wouldn't have a problem paying for the likes of Sky and BT if they allowed you to watch whatever match you wanted, including Saturday afternoon kick offs at 3pm, but they don't. If I was living in Ireland I'd be able to watch them but here in the UK you can't. I just watch them on streams for free instead.

I should be getting my dodgy aerial this week some time so I'll hopefully be able to watch live matches for free, as well as watching MUTV regularly. Probably not though because it seems to be one of these 'too good to be true' things to me. It arrived from China to London around midnight so I should be getting it in a couple of days hopefully.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I think you'll find it won't work because the channels are encrypted. You might just get some foreign channels if your lucky.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well we'll have to wait and see I guess, I'm not expecting it to work so I won't be too disappointed. I also got it by paying with Paypal so I should be able to get my money back if it's a con I think.

If it doesn't work I'm going to send Mr Zuckerberg a turd in a box because I saw it on a Facebook ad lol 😮 😄

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Anyone planning on watching the Captain Marvel movie? I will be watching it soon.

So far the best (and most unbiased) review I've found on YouTube comes from AngryJoe,

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Zenbane said:

Anyone planning on watching the Captain Marvel movie? I will be watching it soon.

So far the best (and most unbiased) review I've found on YouTube comes from AngryJoe,

Planning to watch the movie also - but I'm also planning to buy a 4K (uhd) player and start a 4K movie disc collection, so it'll probably be months before watching Captain Marvel - maybe Venom 4k next week :blush: 

Even though Venom is fake 4K (a mix between 8K and 2K), according to the movie gee* *dry cough!* 4K movie enthusiasts the 4K version should still be much better than the blu-ray version.

https://youtu.be/xLCn88bfW1o

Can't believe it, there's a rather large forum for 4K movie enthusiasts, where they discuss even the smallest details 
:# 

https://forum.blu-ray.com/forumdisplay.php?s=6aafc94580f441ddb00009e892dad969&f=210

Good to be in here - surrounded by normal people with normal interests! 
o:)   😄