cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity 5 just went free

PyroSteel
Protege
http://unity3d.com/

So its the personal edition. If you make less than $100,000 you get full access to all of the Unity 5 engine features 😄
good news all round i say!
But Oh, how bitter a thing it is to look into happiness through another man's eyes.
6 REPLIES 6

AbandonedCart
Honored Guest
"PyroSteel" wrote:
http://unity3d.com/

So its the personal edition. If you make less than $100,000 you get full access to all of the Unity 5 engine features 😄
good news all round i say!

UE4 just went free, Unity 5 just went public. It is the same deal as Unity 4.

cybereality
Grand Champion
"roswell108" wrote:
Unity 5 just went public. It is the same deal as Unity 4.

No, that is not accurate. Unity had a free version before, but many features were missing. Unity 5 now has nearly all the same features as the paid version.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

budwheizzah
Explorer
"cybereality" wrote:
"roswell108" wrote:

No, that is not accurate. Unity had a free version before, but many features were missing. Unity 5 now has nearly all the same features as the paid version.

Free or not the question is it more stable or less stable?
4.6.x reached the fringe of unusability. Not quite there, but so, so much crashing at the end, especially with plugins (something we notably have no choice to do with Oculus stuff). I fear 5 can only be worse the way things have been progressing and I hope to hell I'm wrong, 'cause I'll probably have to endure the version's life cycle either way!

Highly thinking of switching to UE4. I had enjoyed Ue3, and it looks like UE4 has what I wanted; all stuff Unity 4 had and not UE3.

AbandonedCart
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
"roswell108" wrote:

For Unity 5 Professional Edition

Unity 5 Professional customers who earned/received more than $100,000 in revenue/funding in the previous fiscal year must purchase iOS Pro and/or Android Pro deployment add-ons to deploy to these platforms. The iOS and Android Pro add-ons enable deployment without the Personal Edition splash screen.

Unity 5 Professional customers who earned/received less than $100,000 in revenue/funding in the previous fiscal year can deploy with included iOS and Android support with the Personal Edition splash screen.

See the Unity Software License Agreement for full details.

For Unity 5 Personal Edition

Deployment to all platforms included with the Personal Edition splash screen.

That is the same deal as Unity 4. They lightened the restrictions on the editor, but there is still a free and a Pro and significant differences between them.

"budwheizzah" wrote:
"cybereality" wrote:
"roswell108" wrote:

Free or not the question is it more stable or less stable?
4.6.x reached the fringe of unusability. Not quite there, but so, so much crashing at the end, especially with plugins (something we notably have no choice to do with Oculus stuff). I fear 5 can only be worse the way things have been progressing and I hope to hell I'm wrong, 'cause I'll probably have to endure the version's life cycle either way!

Highly thinking of switching to UE4. I had enjoyed Ue3, and it looks like UE4 has what I wanted; all stuff Unity 4 had and not UE3.

Doesn't work with the Oculus Mobile SDK, but otherwise extremely stable. It has the 64-bit editor, builds are finished in nearly half the time, and the cache server on a home network cuts the load times to seconds even with a 5GB project. As for the build, it seemed to run much smoother and looked significantly crisper than before the import to 5 but no settings were changed.

PyroSteel
Protege
@roswell 108

Unity 4 Pro had engine features such as render to texture, real time shadows, post processing effects, motion blur, edge detection, level of detail meshes, light probes, and a whole mess of shaders and lighting all locked to the Pro version.

That list is a whole lot bigger than just those. And this is whats so great about Unity 5 going free. You get all those pro features, plus we are getting all the Unity 5 special stuff that i'll bet would have been locked to a Pro version had Unreal not gone free. Stuff like physical based shading, real-time global illumination(im excited for this one), HDR reflection probes and PhysX 3

I've also been dabling with Unreal Engine 4, im really liking that one too 😄 im just really excited to see 2 awesome engines go into a free state where you only pay if you are making money off what you make with the engine. Making little demo devs like me very happy!
But Oh, how bitter a thing it is to look into happiness through another man's eyes.

AbandonedCart
Honored Guest
"PyroSteel" wrote:
@roswell 108

Unity 4 Pro had engine features such as render to texture, real time shadows, post processing effects, motion blur, edge detection, level of detail meshes, light probes, and a whole mess of shaders and lighting all locked to the Pro version.

That list is a whole lot bigger than just those. And this is whats so great about Unity 5 going free. You get all those pro features, plus we are getting all the Unity 5 special stuff that i'll bet would have been locked to a Pro version had Unreal not gone free. Stuff like physical based shading, real-time global illumination(im excited for this one), HDR reflection probes and PhysX 3

I've also been dabling with Unreal Engine 4, im really liking that one too 😄 im just really excited to see 2 awesome engines go into a free state where you only pay if you are making money off what you make with the engine. Making little demo devs like me very happy!

I guess saying it "went free" is a little hard to support with a $3,000 charge on my account and well under $100,000 in sales. UE4 sent me a notice for a prorated refund. Unity has not said anything about having purchased before the release. I get the free version includes more, but it sounded like saying it was the same as UE4 going free. You can see how that is a wtf moment having already paid for it.