cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valve's new SteamDeck - arriving Dec 2021

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Play all your PC Steam games using a handheld device, thus Valve made a mini-PC - more info here:

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/?snr=1_4_4__118

Image_from_iOS.0.jpg

steam-deck-prices.jpg

Steam_Deck_case.jpg

   

Hardware:

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/hardware

https://www.steamdeck.com/en/tech

So 1280x800 in 60 fps:

AMD APU
CPU: Zen 2 4c/8t, 2.4-3.5GHz (up to 448 GFlops FP32)
GPU: 8 RDNA 2 CUs, 1.0-1.6GHz (up to 1.6 TFlops FP32)
APU power: 4-15W

I noted the 1.6 TFlops - the RTX 3090 has 36 TFlops, for what it's worth, lol. 

Personally I have no interest in such devices - but of course interesting to see new stuff. I found this image amusing:

Unavngivet.png

- even on a big screen, Disco Elysium has so many small details I have to look very closely - the last thing I'd want is to play that game on a screen looking slightly like an oversized phone, lol. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

23 REPLIES 23

E6WmsvIXEAcNnAT.jpg

I wouldn't mind getting a Stream Deck. There's mobile app alternatives (use your phone/tablet as a controller for a PC), but I want physical buttons. Sometimes you need to press a button (pause, mute, etc) without looking at it, you can't rest your finger on a touch screen button.

Or I could make my own, but display buttons aren't cheap. The Stream Deck gets away with it because it's buttons don't actually have screens. It's a single large LCD panel under all buttons and membrane contacts around the edge of each button. I'd prefer a real OLED/LCD mini panel so the buttons are really clicky (like the buttons on my Virpil throttle, they feel great!). I can get a tiny OLED panel for under $2. Clicky buttons cost cents. But combine both and they cost $50-150 each.

iDisplay sells panels with 24 buttons with a display, but I don't know if it's a single panel design. Also they have a minimum order of 100.

I need to make my own controller anyway, I need a new volume system since my Wooting keyboard doesn't have a volume roller.

Anyway... Steam Deck.

Scalpers are already active.

firefox_6E5PtI8xYT.png

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

UploadVR also has a short article quoting the same Pierre-Loup Griffais and mentioning that SteamDeck isn't aimed at VR, even if it could work for some titles:

https://uploadvr.com/valve-steam-deck-vr/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Looks like the scalpers are moving in, better be quick if you don't wanna pay 5k for a deck 😉

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/238722/steam-deck-fuels-fomo-fever

"Valve's plans to thwart scalpers for its newly announced Steam Deck handhelds appears to have taken a faceplant into the deck. As noted on PC Gamer, preorder reservations for the units are going to exorbitant prices on the scalpers paradise that is eBay. And since there is nothing to order yet, attempting to buy one of these units is going to require degrees of trust and cooperation that are not always common on the internet. Many of the listings are over one thousand US dollars, and we see one listing for a 512 GB unit with an ambitious buy it now price of $5000, despite the indications that the 512 GB models won't arrive for a year. On the other hand, for those who want to compare deck sizes, word is the Steam Deck SSD is upgradeable but doesn't want you to do it."

Nekto2
Superstar

😄

it looks like they are testing chipset they will put inside next portable VR Index :))

Which OS is there?

It comes with Linux-based SteamOS (along with Proton, a compatibility layer to allow games to run in a non-Windows environment), but they say you can install Windows on it if you want to.

And I agree, my first thought was that they might put that chipset into a stand-alone VR headset. Such a headset probably wouldn't run native PCVR games very well, so they would likely need Quest-like ports of VR games.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Saw this one on Index SubReddit - more SteamDeck (and some Alyx):

nalex66
MVP
MVP

A lot of new Steam Deck content today on YouTube and gaming sites. One particular thing I noticed in a Verge article--Valve suggested that the APU used in the Deck may very well end up in a stand-alone VR headset:

But Coomer did light up when I suggested maybe we could see the Steam Deck’s custom APU in a standalone VR headset, like the Oculus Quest. He said he loved the question. “We’re not ready to say anything about it, but it would run well in that environment, with the TDP necessary... it’s very relevant to us and our future plans,” he said.

Yeah, the Steamdeck is looking to be quite awesome. If they can manage to let it send/receive text messages then the PC Gaming market can finally overtake the Mobile market!

nalex66
MVP
MVP

The LTT video did a good job of really digging into the details. I’m getting hyped for the Deck, and I’m glad I managed to get a December reservation. I’m really interested in how well the gyro aiming will work—it could finally be the feature that makes thumbsticks (or trackpads) acceptable for FPS input. I think I might dust off my Steam controller and play around with it, and see if I can get gyro aiming working well for me.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Just saw this post on Reddit - and I'm not really disagreeing, lol

Unavngivet.png

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/ptw5f6/from_steamdeck_new_faq/