cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waiting is hard... (Ideas while we wait)

donkaradiablo
Explorer
I think I know what's going to be the next big thing.

Real 3D "movies" of real people that you can watch from all angles as if they were there with you, with positional tracking, captured with multiple scanners, played back thanks to Carmack code compressing the hell out of that 4D data to be accessed and streamed to the GPU as needed depending on where you look.

Not 3D 360 degree movies... not real time rendered fake stuff. Real people, like they are really there with you.

Not whole stadiums, just one person. Also movies as they scan actors and put them in CGI spaces anyway. And as we take our loved ones to be scanned so we get to keep their memories forever, maybe we'll get that feeling our grandparents must have felt when they took our parents in for their first photos.

No physics, no dynamic lighting, no simulations, no artificial intelligence, no destructible environments... just predetermined, recorded stuff streamed using the information of where you are looking and the prediction of where you will be looking, which Oculus is already doing.

Yes, it's a whole lot of data. But all types of work andoptimizations Carmack has done and let us know he looked into in the past years should translate so well to this. And he has supercomputers with special purpose computing units at his fingertips, with lower level access.

What we have seen so far is nothing. Knowing that is what makes waiting hard. It's like you knew the photo was coming to town and everyone is excited but you know they are doing this thing called "movies"and you believe it will be big.

(edited: subject)
Design with input solution, unifying mobile and PC product lines the input solution that could have been ideas Revolutionize the way we interact with... Change the world... Community...
47 REPLIES 47

donkaradiablo
Explorer
http://vrfocus.com/archives/24874/otoy-combines-gear-vr-with-lighthouse-tracking/

LightHouse tracking on Gear VR, by OTOY.

I can imagine a game, with a light field captured on set on Millenium Falcon, combined with 3D scan models of actual movie props including a lightsaber, a Jedi Training Ball, and R2-D2, looking like the real thing in VR, like being there and holding a lightsaber, and I can imagine having that in 2016, untethered... No cables.

This is the kind of thing I imagined a well funded OVR would be working on.
Design with input solution, unifying mobile and PC product lines the input solution that could have been ideas Revolutionize the way we interact with... Change the world... Community...

Roaster
Rising Star
Instead you get Minecraft.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

richhard1
Protege
What I'm not keen in is any tech that becomes hugely popular determining the future of wearable tech. I mean, people want wireless tech that is convenient, useful and relevant but not totally obtrusive to our normal every day lives. All this without causing injury and death, then I'll be happy.
I7-4790K - GTX980ti - 32GB - PB287Q - G502 - A50 - GAMEZ4RO - G19s - E17k - Xonar7.1 - Xenyx502 - AT2050 - H105 - T300RS - XBox1Elite - X55- 4K/DK2/CV1/VIVE

donkaradiablo
Explorer
I was hopeful that SteamOS, Steam Machines, The Vive and Valve's in-house VR games might come together to create the first portable VR console, a backpack processing unit like the ones seen in the Void videos (but with a sleeker design), operating with LightHouse base stations around the place. Also hoped that Sony could follow suit.

But a Li-Fi powered wireless version of the Vive would be a way more elegant design. Li-Fi might be the ultimate solution that frees us from cables without giving up on the processing power of a wall powered PC unit.

Funny thing is, with Oculus Touch coming late to the market, Valve will be able to keep it's software exclusive to it's own platform for good reason. We might see a very strong IP soon. And if a Li-Fi solution was also announced with it, in a fashion similar to how LightHouse almost came out of the blue, that would be the coolest thing ever.

That should also fit well into Valve's vision of making LightHouse an industry standard as it would sit in the middle of all communications between LightHouse devices. Maybe that's what syncs the base units without a cable.

soul187666
Honored Guest
360 degree 3D TV= VR......for the moment
i hope VR can become VR in a few years
waiting is hard...
I'll still give today's VR a try
I want to feel alive in VR with no restrictions or limitations, for now its just a pipe dream.
I would probably not be alive when the tech will get that far, I give it a century give or take.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
Well whether I liked it or not, I had something happen to pass some time. My ASUS X-99 Deluxe decided it would kill my 5960x while it was idling! This setup was a year and two months old and had a completely modest overclock using the first XMP setting (3.5 GHz and the ram @ 2800 which it was rated at). On water cooling this processor never got close to 60 C, even during the most intensive gaming sessions.

Most every PC I have built in the past had an EVGA motherboard and they were all very stable systems and overclocked beautifully for many years (My Intel Extreme Board is pretty awesome as well). I decided to go with the ASUS board because it came in a pretty nice bundle on Newegg. From the time I first set it up, this board gave me nothing but issues. It wouldn't even run on the first XMP setting until I did a BIOS update. Even after the first BIOS update the first XMP setting would cause hangups during start up (bd error). I updated the BIOS a few more times and none of the updates ever fixed this issue, it would still randomly lock up on startup. When they offered to RMA me another one, I politely declined. I would rather not risk another $1000 processor.

I ordered an EVGA X99 Classified from Newegg and this thing is a beast! I had to update the BIOS to get my XMP profile to work, but now that it is working you can instantly tell the difference in motherboard quality. My water cooler seems much more active. The temperature showing on the LED screen is such an awesome idea, I don't need to weigh down my system with extra monitoring software. Not a single issue during startup thus far, no annoying 'bd' errors or lockups. The first XMP profile OC'd the processor to 3.8 and it is very stable along with the RAM at 2800. I could easily bump this up to over 4.0 GHz, but would rather save some wear and tear on this processor.

Back up and running now and what a great time to have my PC running again! Flyinside FSX just released their latest version and it is glorious. Elite Dangerous Horizons just came out and it is running beautifully in VR. Euro Truck Sim 2 is working awesomely. And Windlands gets released on early access any time now.

I am ready for consumer VR!
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

donkaradiablo
Explorer
New generation of PC hardware (hbm2, finFET), and APIs (Vulkan, DX12), and new game engines (Source 2, id tech 6, UE4, Unity5), means new versions of great game series for PC. Portal 3, L4D3, HL3 or at least one of those would probably have been announced at GDC this year, even without the Vive coming to the market.

Now I do not expect these games to have official VR support. But what I believe can happen is intense VR experiences using those game assets, made to promote those games (like VR experiences that promote movies) and used for their IP power to promote VR. Something that runs parallel to the storyline of the main game, the way Enter The Matrix ran parallel to the movies. Like Alyx having to teleport to certain points in the game to operate a turret, to guard a room, to turn off a security system for Gordon to move along in the full game. All room scale experiences that would work in VR and would tie well to the main story and use teleportation which is part of the story, to move between experiences, with probably a lab to go back to between missions, where you can have npc interactions and mini games with Dog.

LightHouse and the 360 degree room scale tracking it provides for hand controllers would be the first great move. Price would be the second. HL3 VR experience pack would be the last. Gabe's Oprah moment video is living proof of Valve able to count to 3...

donkaradiablo
Explorer
Haven't logged in for a while. Not since Oculus tried to enforce a monopoly strategy (at least, to my understanding).

Gotta say though, you've gotta love Carmack and Valve. One created a design with USB-C, where accessories can be plugged in... The other just made SteamVR peripherals royalty free. Now someone can build a peripheral with sensors for lighthouse, a small battery and a simple SOC that does the tracking, sends it to the device that doesn't overheat anymore and has laser sharp positional tracking.

The walkman/iPod of the VR industry is upon us.