cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's everyone up to outside of gaming?

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Hopefully life is slowly returning to normal for everyone, are you hobbies becoming more social? or maybe finishing off some lock-down projects?

I'm trying to finish off some resto work!

20191009172119_IMG_8699.jpg

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v21H2 (19044.1706)

11 REPLIES 11

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I got a 2D LIDAR, I might make something with it.

That's about it. Work and being tired is all I'm doing.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

That tracks things on a surface right? so what project do you have in mind???

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v21H2 (19044.1706)

Tape it to Touch controller and have a 3D scan lidar 😄

How big it is? If you could carry it in hand you could  make invisible "light saber" with sound 🙂

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

It's basically a 2D 360 degree laser distance scanner. They are used in Roombas to scan the room.

But putting one on a motorised rig, I can get a 3D laser scanner similar to this thing:

The LIDAR part is the spinning blue bit on the side.

I mainly just wanted to play with one, they are only around $100 on Aliexpress and look cool. 🙂

The SDK was really good for the one I got too (YDLIDAR X4), I had it running in my C++ game engine within an hour of the package arriving.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Nater6954
Level 3

Just recently graduated high school, got a custom PC fully built and working with a bit of help from my dad, slowly making progress on assembling a Prusa Mini+ 3D printer I got for my 20th birthday (in a sense sticking my toes into the water when it comes to the world of 3D printing, which my dad got me into as well after I became fascinated with watching his much larger 3D printer that’s also a laser engraver and a CNC machine at work), other than that nothing much to report on. I would like to get into PCVR now that I have the Oculus Quest 2 at my disposal, but that’s proving to be difficult due to the Oculus Link desktop software not letting me sign into it with my existing Facebook account, although the installation went off without a hitch.

Phaserlight
Level 7

SpottiChen
Level 4

I spend all my spare time playing games... That makes me happy.

Awalt.August
Oculus Support
Oculus Support

I personally spend the majority of my time building Gunplas! I recently got myself an RX-78 Full Armor Gundam (Thunderbolt ver.) Ver. Ka. and a bunch of other kits but the Thunderbolt one I am beyond excited to start the most!

I haven't been able to try custom airbrushing but I think I'll treat myself,  come Christmas. :). The Thunderbolt is a behemoth of a model with switchable armor and weapons. So I would love to fully custom paint it and give it the love it deserves!

I've gotten the hang of sanding, panel lining and doing the water slide decals. Surprisingly it's a whole lot easier than a lot of people who build models make it out to be. Definitely sucked at the start of this journey lol. But this is definitely something that I never knew I'd get hooked on and now it's become my favorite little hobby. I would have never tried it if my friend didn't buy me one years ago!

Always be willing to try new things, I suppose lol!

I used to spend all my spare time as a youngster doing Airfix kits and just recently started buying vintage kits again and plan to relive my youth at some point!

Being of the older generation, I had to Google Gundam 🤔 😊