cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the oculus rift work with an outdated CPU

Biglund
Honored Guest
Hi everyone.

I have an i5-3470 cpu @ 3.20ghz processor. I know it recommends something better to run with the oculus rift but i was just wandering if the oculus rift will work with my current processor or if i have to get an upgrade. Thanks in advance.
7 REPLIES 7

Mwilliams78
Expert Protege
You should be ok as long as you have a good gpu and plenty of ram to back it up. Might have to turn down or tweak some settings but ive seen people running rifts on a even lower cpu.

Biglund
Honored Guest
Thank you for the answer and the good news.

Keylo415
Expert Protege

Biglund said:

Hi everyone.

I have an i5-3470 cpu @ 3.20ghz processor. I know it recommends something better to run with the oculus rift but i was just wandering if the oculus rift will work with my current processor or if i have to get an upgrade. Thanks in advance.

I was wondering the same thing because I have a I5 2500K@ 3.3ghz, 970gtx, 16gb of ram. Will I be fine

Percy1983
Superstar
Yes and no, not all games/apps will max out the processor so a lessor processor will be fine, but if something is more CPU demanding it may cause a problem.

There is always overclocking but with a 3470 there is only so far you can go depending on your board, as for the 2500k, get a better cooler (if you don't already have one) and get overclocking.

In my case a 3570k clocked at 4.5ghz is better than the minimum spec, but at stock speed isn't.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

Keylo415
Expert Protege

Percy1983 said:

Yes and no, not all games/apps will max out the processor so a lessor processor will be fine, but if something is more CPU demanding it may cause a problem.

There is always overclocking but with a 3470 there is only so far you can go depending on your board, as for the 2500k, get a better cooler (if you don't already have one) and get overclocking.

In my case a 3570k clocked at 4.5ghz is better than the minimum spec, but at stock speed isn't.

Thank you so much for the reply man.. I hope I can get by with the cpu I have for a little while longer, before updating my whole rig.

Conan
Expert Protege
I tried it out in my old pc with a Core 2 quad Q8200, 4 gig ram, GTX 660

Home worked fine and a few experiences, not tracking issues.  the ram seemed to be the biggest down fall

Keylo415
Expert Protege

Conan said:

I tried it out in my old pc with a Core 2 quad Q8200, 4 gig ram, GTX 660

Home worked fine and a few experiences, not tracking issues.  the ram seemed to be the biggest down fall

Dude I'm so hyped, too bad I won't be receiving my oculus until August. No matter what happens I will not get impatient and get a vive like so many others are doing. The rift is going to be all about games..