cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would a bigger television get me back into Pancake gaming?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I really like VR, but the lack of AAA games is making me feel I also need to get back into pancake gaming. I currently have a 42" television and I'm just wondering if I get a 55" or 65" television, if this will get me more immersed in a game like VR does? Since VR came along I've struggled to get back into 2D gaming and there's some really good pancake games that will never come to VR.

So do you think a lager screen would get me more immersed in a game or not?
288 REPLIES 288

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

RedRizla said:

I've got back into 2D gaming since playing Red Dead Redemption. I can see VR taken over 2D gaming at some point in the future, but VR needs more games that are AAA and have a good story. The stories in 2D gaming is enough to get me interested for now. I find 2D gaming is a bit like reading a book and taken part and VR has stopped people reading books.

This is one of the reasons why I don't participate a lot in discussions about how upcoming HMDs like Rift S/2 should be. I don't think there's anything wrong with CV1, it's awesome, instead we need more high quality CV1 content. Personally I don't mind more ports if that's the only way - games like Hellblade, Transference, Skyrim, Elite, Obduction, DiRT, Ethan Carter and more have shown that it's possible to make great 2D games available in VR. It's a difficult balance, but Oculus should be careful not to poison the well with too many super-short low-quality CV1 indie games and apps.

I think it's a bit of both. My main problem is the lack of clarity...but that's also because I also agree that on the whole (there are some)the game quality isn't there yet and My favorite things to do still in VR is simming. Games like Beat Saber show that the VR can be a lot of fun with what we have. 

I still love 2d gaming because theres' so many quality titles out. The clarity is so good and the colors are so vibrant on a lot of the games I play that I find myself just sight seeing instead of playing lol. But, I've also been playing a lot of the best looking games on PC. Stuff like Ashen doesn't look that great on my rig either even though it's a great game.

I am very interested to see what Oculus comes up with. Sony has been talking a big game about PSVR 2 and talking about how good they want PSVR to look in 10 years so if Oculus wants Rift to survive long term, they have to stay on the bleeding edge as it will always be tough to compete with a console for average users since they produce the things at a loss. I'm sure they're hoping Quest is the solution to the average user problem though. (just wish it had a newer Snapdragon in it heh)

nalex66
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

snowdog said:

I'd be fine if they kept it in 3rd person, 3rd person games work surprisingly well.

3rd person would be great too - come to think of it, I don't recall any true 3rd person action RPG on the Rift, but I may be wrong? Chronos may be close, but it's not really the same, and the environments are static. 

Edge of Nowhere was a proper over-the-shoulder third-person Rift game that worked nicely in VR.

I still do my share of flat gaming. I’ve been playing Fallout 76 lately, and XCOM 2 before that. My biggest problem is finding much time for gaming period, whether it’s VR or flat. I have a backlog of both types of games, and they continue to grow (just picked up Budget Cuts on sale, as well as the free and excellent Last Day Defense). 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Fun stuff with the white coats  😄 Even though Linus made some very bad videos about VR, I think he's on to  something important in this video  B)

https://youtu.be/ehvz3iN8pp4

Still he needs to check out 4K gaming on much bigger screens (TVs). My Sony 85" does support 120 Hz, but I don't know if that works in both 2K and 4K when gaming. And 4K 120 Hz would of course be a no go in modern games using a GTX 1080. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@RuneSR2 - When I have enough money, I'll buy this TV and play on it using a 2k resolution & 120Hz.

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/qled-tv/samsung-qe55q9fn.html

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

@RuneSR2 - When I have enough money, I'll buy this TV and play on it using a 2k resolution & 120Hz.

https://www.richersounds.com/tv-projectors/qled-tv/samsung-qe55q9fn.html

Looks like a great screen, QLED may be much better for HDR than OLED, but OLED still has better response time and true blacks. These 4K OLEDs could be quite awesome too - depending on the price:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/01/lg-announces-its-2019-oled-tv-lineup-plus-an-8k-monstrosity/

For now I 've come to the conclusion that my lack of interest in 2D gaming isn't cured by a bigger screen or 120+ Hz etc, I simply lack the immersion that only VR can provide. But getting a big TV certainly has fueled my passion for movies - and Netflix - I'll probably be spending more time watching movies than being in VR at least until Shadow Legend arrives 😉

I plan to buy the PS5 when it launches. Sony TVs are really made for these consoles.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable
Bloody hell, I think I'm going to buy one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Linsar-65UHD520-65-Inch-4K-Ultra-HD-LED-TV-in-Black-with-3x-HDMI/14313735...

With the discount code that's £424 😮

May not be the best telly in the world but my last two tellies have been noname brands bought from supermarkets that I've been VERY happy with. No HDR though, but a 65" 4K at £424 you can't expect too much lol 😄

I'm going to have to move things around a bit though to fit it in my flat lmfao. My current 50" 1080p telly is sitting on top of a table next to my PC desk and it has the stand in the middle. This 65" telly has the stand parts at the left and right of the telly so I'll have to move my table to the left a bit, move my PC on my PC desk to the right a bit and then have the right hand part of the stand sitting on a book or something to make it level lololol 😮 😄

Just pulled the trigger on it B)

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's out of stock now, glad I managed to bag one in time! B)

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

snowdog said:

It's out of stock now, glad I managed to bag one in time! B)

Looking forward to hear about your gaming experiences in 4K 🙂 As a PC monitor 65" 4K should be awesome - not just for gaming, Office/Word has never looked that crisp before  😄 (actually I'm quite serious!)
I've deactivated HDR for now, it was too bright - I don't want daylight at night... So don't worry about that 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable
I probably won't be using it for gaming tbh, all of my gaming is done in VR these days. It's going to be great for when I get my arse in gear and start working on my game again. B)

Anonymous
Not applicable
I also forgot to mention that I've bought a dodgy aerial from an ad on Facebook. It claims that all Sky and BT channels are broadcast like normal TV channels but you need either a provider box or this special aerial to watch them, a normal TV aerial isn't powerful enough.

Probably a big con but at half price it was £20 so worth a punt just to see if it's legit or not lol