cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASW is broken with OpenXR

perneky.laszlo
Explorer

Hello,

I am working on our game to include VR support using OpenXR. Everything is set up and working fine, and now I'd like to add support for ASW. I use the XR_KHR_composition_layer_depth extension, and provide the depth buffer in the XrCompositionLayerDepthInfoKHR structure as the next parameter of the XrCompositionLayerProjectionView for the runtime as in the docs. I am using D3D11, my depth swap chain is in DXGI_FORMAT_D32_FLOAT format, and I use reversed depth.

As the result, all I can see is blocks, all around the screen. I can't post shots for legal reasions, but I have managed to reproduce this with one of the Microsoft sample applications for OpenXR: OpenXR-MixedReality/samples/BasicXrApp at main · microsoft/OpenXR-MixedReality · GitHub

Here I get the following result which practically producing the same artifacts as in our game:

asw_bug_on.png

Interestingly here it only affects the left eye, but in our game it is present for both eyes.

If I disable ASW in the mirror app, then it is all good:

asw_bug_off.png

Is there a known issue about this, or am I (and the Microsoft sample) doing something wrong?

Thank you.

Laci

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perneky.laszlo
Explorer

Hello @johnkearney 

It looks like it was the oculus runtime in the end. I havent updated VGA drivers since the last try, only the oculus update happened.

Now the issue is gone for the BasicXrApp, and also with our game.

For the record, my CPU is an i7-9700K, with 32 GB of ram, and an RTX 2060 Super with 8 GB of ram. I was trying the Win32 version of the BasicXrApp.

Thank you

Laci

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

perneky.laszlo
Explorer

Have anyone seen something like this?

perneky.laszlo
Explorer

Can someone from Oculus react to this please?

johnkearney
Oculus Staff

@perneky.laszlo - I've attempted to replicate this using the latest version (f471c9473f) of the BasicXrApp using the latest Oculus PC Runtime (v28) but I cannot replicate it using Rift CV1, Rift S or Oculus Link. Could you help me understand what is different in your environment?

Hello @johnkearney ,

I was using the runtime which was the latest version 3 weeks ago (not sure what the version number was). Also I was using an OQ2 with Link, running from PC. Other than that, I have just checked out the repo (master 3 weeks ago) with the BasicXrApp, and built it without any modifications.

I know that since then, there was an update to the runtime, I'll try it with the latest one on monday.

Laci

@perneky.laszlo I suspect that you will see the same behavior with the latest runtime vs the prior runtime as there have been no changes in this area.

I believe I will need some extra information to try to narrow this down? Are you using the UWP or native version of BasicXrApp? What CPU / GPU combo are you seeing this behavior with?

Thanks,
John

perneky.laszlo
Explorer

Hello @johnkearney 

It looks like it was the oculus runtime in the end. I havent updated VGA drivers since the last try, only the oculus update happened.

Now the issue is gone for the BasicXrApp, and also with our game.

For the record, my CPU is an i7-9700K, with 32 GB of ram, and an RTX 2060 Super with 8 GB of ram. I was trying the Win32 version of the BasicXrApp.

Thank you

Laci

@perneky.laszlo Thanks. And thanks for the system specs - it sounds like a standard configuration that our QA team would be using.