cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible to start browser pinned to specific position in VR?

Nat_E
Explorer
Hi.  I am a software engineer but not working in VR.  Lately, I've been using a Quest a lot for my hobby of simracing (iracing).  VR for iRacing is great, but there is one weak area.  Third party overlays are a very popular and important thing in the iRacing community, Google "best iracing overlays" to get more of an idea.  Unfortunately, all of these apps are tricky in VR generally and more so for Oculus specifically.  Although iRacing has native VR support for Oculus, none of the third party overlays do at this time. 

The current practice is to use browser windows.  A user must launch a browser(s) and the overlay software provides an endpoint that implements an overlay item (2D), which the user provides a URL for to the browser.  On Oculus, the user must go through the process of manually positioning the browser windows, usually taking multiple iterations to get right, and pinning them.  The user must do this for every racing session.  It is error prone, for example because if the user chooses position poorly, the pinned windows will not render correctly in actual VR session.  iRacing is as the name implies a race (against other real users ), being time sensitive, a user can not stop and correct such errors.

So, to improve my hobby, I started browsing developer documentation.  I am not sure where to start really.  I don't think, but am not sure, that this is a WebXR issue.  I guess the first thing that comes to mind, can one launch the oculus browser from command line or api?   Are there command line options or other configuration mechanism that would allow setting the VR position and pin status?
2 REPLIES 2

Nat_E
Explorer
Also, are there any real-time developer support/community, thinking like slack or discord?

eah
Protege
I'm not the right person to answer mobile OpenXR questions, but I can point you at the OpenXR dev slack:

https://app.slack.com/client/TDMDFS87M/CDRUCH4BB